HEVC - Hardware Transcoding Failing (Software Transcoding Only)

darrenkdean

darrenkdean

Good Morning & Happy Tuesday,

Noticing that HEVC files are software transcoding instead of hardware transcoding.  As far as I know, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 8 core, on an Intel board running Ubuntu Linux 18.04.2 & Emby Server 4.5.4.0 should have the ability to hardware transcode this.  Everything else outside of HEVC hardware transcodes fine utilizing VAAPI.  Both H.264 (AVC) & H.265 (HEVC) on VAAPI HD Graphics 530 are enabled in the Emby Server Dashboard.  Is there anything you can see in the logs that might be causing this or remedies we might be able to try?

Best-

Darren

Edited by darrenkdean

darrenkdean

Thank you!  It was indeed a hardware limitation.  Looks like we'll need to upgrade the processor if we want full 10-bit HEVC support.  Appreciate the feedback on this!

Edited by darrenkdean

• 7 months later...
darrenkdean
1 hour ago, rathmore said:

Been trying to make this work, but for me it is still unclear whether the pentium J4205 (Apollo lake) is fully suitable for hardware acceleration. As mentioned above, HEVC images are transcoded using software but the rest is successfully through hardware acceleration

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

We used this setup successfully for years & hardware acceleration worked great, with the exception of HEVC & certain college sports broadcasts (audio/video sync issue).

Ultimately I made the call that the system had served us long enough & well enough.  Bought a 10th gen I9 Intel processor & board a couple days after this thread & haven't looked back.  Has worked flawlessly since with no more troubleshooting.

On 9/14/2021 at 12:16 AM, darrenkdean said:

We used this setup successfully for years & hardware acceleration worked great, with the exception of HEVC & certain college sports broadcasts (audio/video sync issue).

Ultimately I made the call that the system had served us long enough & well enough.  Bought a 10th gen I9 Intel processor & board a couple days after this thread & haven't looked back.  Has worked flawlessly since with no more troubleshooting.

Yes, it sure does work fine for images other than H.265 HEVC 10bit. H.265 HEVC actually does get transcoded with hardware acceleration but my system has a hard time coping that. I will keep an eye on whether it continues to meet my expectations, otherwise there will be an upgrade since I am also running this system since late 2016. Thanks!

afbeelding_2021-09-15_143756.png

Q-Droid

You might be right on the edge of what your CPU can handle and maybe could help it along with a few things, but maybe that's all it's got.

One thing to check is whether it's trying to burn-in subtitles which can add a lot of work to the process. External subs take no work.

Another is that certain audio codecs also affect the transcoding speed.

And lastly, while 20mbps for h264 is not a very high rate you could lower the playback quality a little to see if the fps increases.