Trakt is switching to TMDB as the primary data source for TV shows

MediaMogal

gillmacca01
10 minutes ago, roaku said:

That would be at least as big a project as Emby itself and much more expensive to run.

You're right there

48 minutes ago, roaku said:

That would be at least as big a project as Emby itself and much more expensive to run.

And, hence, why Tvdb is needing to make this move...

1 hour ago, ebr said:

And, hence, why Tvdb is needing to make this move...

Ya, the switch seems necessary...but since they are contributor dependent and will continue to be, they should have provided an incentive structure to convert historic and future contributions to discounted service access.

Data collection and entry is an ongoing cost like any other. They're going to end up paying for it somehow.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, roaku said:

Ya, the switch seems necessary...but since they are contributor dependent and will continue to be, they should have provided an incentive structure to convert historic and future contributions to discounted service access.

Data collection and entry is an ongoing cost like any other. They're going to end up paying for it somehow.

Plus they've gotten to a certain point where the system is large enough that it can't be maintained in their developer's free time. It has to be their full time job, and that means now they need to be able to pay salaries as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Plus they've gotten to a certain point where the system is large enough that it can't be maintained in their developer's free time. It has to be their full time job, and that means now they need to be able to pay salaries as well.

The irony of a service becoming useful and popular is that it makes it harder to provide.

Right I mean we went through this same situation. The difference with us is that we've always been friendlier to our users and I think that's why people took it better.

• Like 6

MediaMogal
On 1/21/2021 at 4:00 AM, gillmacca01 said:

I would even be willing to pay for this. Imagine if it didn't just cover tv/movies, but also music video, concerts, etc. Could also have section for custom playlists/collections as well

Let's leave it at Telly, Movies, and Music. And yes If Emby had their own I could see subscribing to it.

@LukeWould I be correct in assuming if one doesn't have a TVDB api key Emby would just default to using THeMovieDB?

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, MediaMogal said:

Would I be correct in assuming if one doesn't have a TVDB api key Emby would just default to using THeMovieDB?

Since the item would fail on that provider do to no pin, Emby would proceed to next enable provider.

Now if the question is will Emby reorder your already configured provider order when this change comes about, that is totally different.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
CharleyVarrick
On 1/20/2021 at 10:01 AM, ebr said:

I'm sorry, but that isn't really true.  Just because raw materials are provided to you at no (or whatever) cost - if you take those materials and add some other service or value to them then that takes people, time, money, etc. and you are completely justified in charging for that.  You are also completely justified in attempting to create a business around this activity that may allow you to clothe and feed your kids.

The end user is also completely justified in deciding not to pay for it.  It is all about value.

This model is used in many, many places you just may not even know it.  For example, there are several very high-dollar weather services that cater to both individuals and companies.  All these services get their data from the same place and it is free.  But they then package and deliver that data in certain ways that make it valuable to the consumer.

By this reasoning,  I am guessing all tvdb contributors should expect a check in the mail any time soon. Unless I dont have a clue how they work, they would have a sad little website if not for all those volunteers that did most of the heavy lifting all these years

Edited by jlr19

pwhodges

They are planning to offer deals for contributors, at least.

Paul

4 hours ago, jlr19 said:

By this reasoning,  I am guessing all tvdb contributors should expect a check in the mail any time soon. Unless I dont have a clue how they work, they would have a sad little website if not for all those volunteers that did most of the heavy lifting all these years

They won't have any website at all in the future if they can't start charging a fee so that they can pay their employees.

CharleyVarrick

"Everybody else is doing it, so why can't we"

Edited by jlr19

pwhodges
3 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

Getting income to pay the bills, you mean?  Yes - it's a common way to proceed.

Paul

• Like 1

roaku
8 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

I'm curious how, in your mind, the server and bandwidth costs for keeping the TVDB api up and running get paid every month.

Edited by roaku

CharleyVarrick

The danger here is selling something that has a lifetime warranty, and then turning around a minute later with a "that's not what we really meant by lifetime".

I totally despise huge corp that begs governments for multi M of $, and then a year later close the shop and fire K's of employee to please the shareholders.

Here in Canada, Bombardier is a perfect example. Where has all the billion$ went ? 2 or 3 guys now have enough in the bank to each buy themselves a country or two.

To be fair, if a paying API works better than the stop n go present situation, I mean if its invested in the product, instead of yet another getting rich quick scheme,

this is ok with me. But as we've all been burned so many times no wonder the cynical times we live in.

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick
15 minutes ago, roaku said:

I'm curious how, in your mind, the server and bandwidth costs for keeping the TVDB api up and running get paid every month.

I have no idea, but looks to me like they had an idea, how long have they managed without ?

But as I said a moment ago, if they put the money to good use and their product is improved by it, is different than If its just so the owner can buy himself a tropical island and the product is left to rot... For this reason, I would not buy a lifetime subscription from them just yet.  

roaku
2 minutes ago, jlr19 said:

I have no idea, but looks to me like they had an idea, how long have they managed without ?

But as I said a moment ago, if they put the money to good use and their product is improved by it, is different than If its just so the owner can buy himself a tropical island and the product is left to rot... For this reason, I would not buy a lifetime subscription from them just yet.  

Ya, my perception is that this went from a hobby project to an essential part of a bunch of other (paid) software and services too/very quickly and that's catching up to TVDB and everyone that's been able to benefit from/exploit that lack of a business model up until now.

• Like 1

Just look at the first few pages of this thread:

This is prior to when they announced they would go premium.  They rolled out updates containing numerous problems several times, and in each case it took them several weeks to react despite the severity of the situation. I made several comments at the time that it appeared they were inadequately staffed to accommodate their own infrastructure. So to me, at the time, it looked like they were on the brink of having to shut down barring an influx of cash that would allow them to hire more employees.