Sort by.... IMDB, Community, Critic.. not all the same dialogs.

Tolerant

Tolerant

Using Win 10x64 pro and Emby 4.5.4.0 in FireFox / Chrome:

If I select MOVIES, FAVORITES, "Sort by IMDB rating" is listed. "Sort by COMMUNITY rating" is on the sort menu for Collections but listed as "IMDB" elsewhere.  If I go into a GENRE and use the sort function, it is "Sort by CRITIC rating" and "Sort by COMMUNITY rating".  These "sort methods" should be unified to match in all areas of EMBY as it can be a bit confusing when renamed elsewhere.

From what I was told, IMDB rating is NOT really IMDB rating because it is pulled from TMDB which is always outdated and hardly accurate after it gets ratings from IMDB (or maybe users?). Seems a bit not quite right to call those IMDB ratings, unless they are coming directly from IMDB. Even if the choices are unified a bit and match in all menu choices, I would very much still LOVE to see a deal worked out that would allow EMBY or a plugin for it, to directly update IMDB (COMMUNITY rating) / Rotten Tomatoes (CRITIC rating) without having to rely on a second hand account of what those scores might be. Not holding my breath on that though.

At the very least a plugin that would update them from the available sources (such as TMDB) if not directly without having to re-fetch ALL metadata would even be a step forward.

Thanks

Happy2Play
9 hours ago, Tolerant said:

From what I was told, IMDB rating is NOT really IMDB rating because it is pulled from TMDB

Technically it come form OMDB. And they get there data from IMDB, but it is a matter of how often the data is resynced to get updated ratings. 

But IMDB is not free for a community like this.  Do you know their cost?  Have a look here.

Cast & Crew per episode & season (fetched from IMDB as TVDB has incomplete info) - Feature Requests - Emby Community

Following those links IMDB/Amazon wants $50,000 a year for just IMDB Ratings.

Edited by Happy2Play

seanbuff
10 hours ago, Tolerant said:

These "sort methods" should be unified to match in all areas of EMBY as it can be a bit confusing when renamed elsewhere.

I do agree we need some unification across the various views in order to keep them consistent -- @Luke

Main Movies view shows 'IMDb rating', but lacks 'Critic rating'

image.png.fe3d935cf2510abb29e40b6241a6a577.png

Whilst under Genre view, it shows 'Community rating' AND 'Critic rating'

image.png.0a81b5ab53ba6ab6c32d56f3700cf87f.png

I would stick with the latter, as those are the fields we currently have in the metadata editor and makes more sense.

Tolerant
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Technically it come form OMDB. And they get there data from IMDB, but it is a matter of how often the data is resynced to get updated ratings. 

But IMDB is not free for a community like this.  Do you know their cost?  Have a look here.

Cast & Crew per episode & season (fetched from IMDB as TVDB has incomplete info) - Feature Requests - Emby Community

Following those links IMDB/Amazon wants $50,000 a year for just IMDB Ratings.

Woops.. OMDB! But WOW what a cost!! That is a heck of a lot for a project like this. Perhaps a way to JUST refresh scores for media would still be an option for me, if OMDB allows it? Maybe I am missing something but my only two choices are to Refresh Metadata to "look for missing" or "replace all", neither is a good choice for just updating scores for the users that have thousands of titles.

I think the ideal option would be to allow to select which fields come from which metadata providers, that way you can continue to use MovieDb as your primary source, but get the rating from Omdb.

Tolerant
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

I think the ideal option would be to allow to select which fields come from which metadata providers, that way you can continue to use MovieDb as your primary source, but get the rating from Omdb.

That seems like a nice choice but once a name, actors, dates, details etc.. is all fetched and "set" what scares me is doing a "full refresh" and risk having those things messed up for some titles (and then loosing track of the ones that become incorrect) vs. just using a choice like "Update Rating for all Movie or TV titles".

Not sure where exactly the cause of the issue for me is, but sometimes some titles just keep reverting to "earlier" titles of the same or similar names or keep picking up the wrong poster even after they have been "identified".  That is why I am hoping for something that is not trying to replace or redo everything but simply update single fields such as "Community Rating" or "Critic Rating". But, your ideal option still sounds like a step in the right direction for sure.

Thanks

Happy2Play

No matter how you look at it Emby will get all new metadata, so it is a matter of only using specific fields.  You can see all provider metadata for every item in your Cache folder.

Tolerant
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

No matter how you look at it Emby will get all new metadata, so it is a matter of only using specific fields.  You can see all provider metadata for every item in your Cache folder.

Running on a DS1019+ NAS nowadays so trying to access the inner workings/paths,  isn't something I have managed to figure out exactly, it seemed a bit complicated. Thanks though.

seanbuff
1 minute ago, Tolerant said:

Running on a DS1019+ NAS nowadays so trying to access the inner workings/paths

Check the 'Paths' section on the Dashboard

Tolerant
Just now, seanbuff said:

Check the 'Paths' section on the Dashboard

I had read that I had to install a program or two, change file permissions on things and access it via that method. Is it not that hard anymore?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So is the rating shown next to the red star, an OMDB rating as mentioned above? 
If so, how come there’s an option to sort by IMDB rating, if there’s no IMDB rating?

I have a few titles with ratings that do not match IMDB’s or The Movie DB rating (metadata is correct).

Can someone help clarify please. Thanks.

10 hours ago, A32 said:

Hi,So is the rating shown next to the red star, an OMDB rating as mentioned above? 

It's the rating that comes from your highest priority movie metadata provider set in your library options, which by default is MovieDb.

Thank you, Luke.

So in the library I have two choices:

• The Open Movie Database
  • TheMovieDb

Based on the discussion in this thread, and the way I understand it, I should enable “The Open Movie Database” onlyif I want to “try” to match IMDB’s ratings (and to make use of IMDB rating in the sort options).

Is this correct?

seanbuff
9 minutes ago, A32 said:

Based on the discussion in this thread, and the way I understand it, I should enable “The Open Movie Database” onlyif I want to “try” to match IMDB’s ratings (and to make use of IMDB rating in the sort options).

No, I would keep both and make TheMovieDB first in your metadata list, and leave Open Movie Database as second which would fill the gap of that 'IMDB' type rating you seek.

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, A32 said:

Thank you, Luke.

So in the library I have two choices:

• The Open Movie Database
  • TheMovieDb

Is this correct?

This is correct as the Rating node will be the Rating from OMDB ie IMDB Rating.  If TMDB was first that Rating node would be populated with TMDB Rating.

But this could create minor issues as there may be other differences in other metadata fields.  This is why field specific options to get specific information from specific providers is needed.

seanbuff
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

This is correct as the Rating node will be the Rating from OMDB ie IMDB Rating.  If TMDB was first that Rating node would be populated with TMDB Rating.

That is not my experience, I have my metadata sources as the following:
image.png.6099aba652186262867b3f592141ef20.png

And my ratings (which closely mimic IMDB) seem to come from OMDB and not the 'User Score' seen on TMDB.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

That is not my experience, I have my metadata sources as the following:
image.png.6099aba652186262867b3f592141ef20.png

And my ratings (which closely mimic IMDB) seem to come from OMDB and not the 'User Score' seen on TMDB.

Example

OMDB

{"Title":"Horizon Line","Year":"2020","Rated":"PG-13","Released":"12 Jan 2021","Runtime":"92 min","Genre":"Thriller","Director":"Mikael Marcimain","Writer":"Josh Campbell, Matthew Stuecken","Actors":"Alexander Dreymon, Allison Williams, Keith David, Pearl Mackie","Plot":"A couple flying on a small plane to attend a tropical island wedding must fight for their lives after their pilot suffers a heart attack.","Language":"English","Country":"Sweden, USA","Awards":"N/A","Poster":"https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTE1YjYwZmItYWEzMS00MGM3LTlhYTQtOWIyM2Y1MmUzNzUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_SX300.jpg","Ratings":[{"Source":"Internet Movie Database","Value":"5.2/10"},{"Source":"Rotten Tomatoes","Value":"26%"}],"Metascore":"N/A","imdbRating":"5.2","imdbVotes":"349","imdbID":"tt5498354","Type":"movie","DVD":"N/A","BoxOffice":"N/A","Production":"N/A","Website":"N/A","Response":"True"}

TMDB

{"page":1,"results":[{"adult":false,"backdrop_path":"/2KX79ljurDq6bBXcyoQLROVxkU8.jpg","genre_ids":[53],"id":602654,"original_language":"en","original_title":"Horizon Line","overview":"A couple flying on a small plane to attend a tropical island wedding must fight for their lives after their pilot suffers a heart attack.","popularity":31.157,"poster_path":"/vWGkIHeCLw9wWvPXnPTOM9d5GiK.jpg","release_date":"2020-10-29","title":"Horizon Line","video":false,"vote_average":6.8,"vote_count":52}],"total_pages":1,"total_results":1}

seanbuff

thanks @Happy2Play can you help me understand what is happening in my case then? As I just added that movie you just used as an example and got the following metadata using the provider order that I showed above.

image.png.b4b69c72ff838f44dadbf51b9d188c26.png

5.2 is clearly the IMDB (via OMDB) rating and yet, TheMovieDB has priority over that. So why isn't it pulling the TMDB rating over the OMDB one?

I also searched my debug logs for any reference to 'imdbRating' or 'vote_average' and came up with nothing -- were you hitting the API directly for those responses?

1 hour ago, seanbuff said:

No, I would keep both and make TheMovieDB first in your metadata list, and leave Open Movie Database as second

Wouldn’t this render the sort by “IMDB rating” useless? Or is it (IMDB rating via OMDB) populated internally for this purpose?

1 minute ago, seanbuff said:

5.2 is clearly the IMDB (via OMDB) rating and yet, TheMovieDB has priority over that. So why isn't it pulling the TMDB rating over the OMDB one?

I think I’m seeing similar behavior, although sometimes I end up with ratings that are not on IMDb or The MovieDB! My only rationalization is that OMDB didn’t “sync” with IMDB to update that specific tittle (if I’m understanding this correctly).

seanbuff

Correct, it is always IMDB rating via OMDB - but you need to keep in mind that they are not always in sync, so yeah the "IMDB" rating you once get from OMDB may drift over time, especially for new stuff where the rating is constantly changing.

6 hours ago, seanbuff said:

thanks @Happy2Play can you help me understand what is happening in my case then? As I just added that movie you just used as an example and got the following metadata using the provider order that I showed above.

image.png.b4b69c72ff838f44dadbf51b9d188c26.png

I also searched my debug logs for any reference to 'imdbRating' or 'vote_average' and came up with nothing -- were you hitting the API directly for those responses?

I have my own nfo's, but a few months ago I did some testing (without the nfo's) and I had the same experience. TMDB first, OMDB second and everything was pulled from TMDB, except the ratings, those were pulled form IMDB. Which I thought was cool, I prefer those

• Like 1