Whens the next 'big' update?

GiGo

Emby is a great Server tool and the apps that go with it are amazing at what they do, but I can't help feel that emby is lagging behind in lots of areas. There are many feature requests that have been wanted by people for ages and I'm sure a lot of them will be introduced, but when?

I keep holding out hope for some great new features for Emby to be introduced to keep us all entertained and able to 'play around' with new customisations, plugins etc.... but there is nothing at the moment, it's been 2 years since version 4 was introduced and before that is was 5 or so years from 2 to 3.

So guys, whens it coming? Great new version 5 with lots of new plugins and tools to play with? 

Maybe I'm just getting bored with the endless lockdowns here in the UK and relaying too heavily on media, but I fancy something new to play with, but I'm not switching away from Emby as it's great for what I want, just want new features that people have been asking for.

pwhodges

There are some big changes in the pipeline.  It's not clear how many of them will be in the next version (4.6 is still the current name).  There has been an unusually long gap since the last beta release (over four weeks), which suggests to me that big things are being incorporated which require considerable work to be complete enough to be exposed even to the beta users.

Patience will hopefully be rewarded.

Paul

Hi, don't know if you're running the release or beta but the music library just got a big make over essentially allowing it to be 100% tag driven putting your media in control of what's shown and loaded by Emby. It also got some database optimizations to go with that.  The current beta also combined CONTINUE and NEXTUP setting the stage for more to come with that.  The next version to make beta is in private testing at the moment but Luke has made many comments about it.  This drastically improves the way collections work and brings the AutoBox set plugin functionality in the core library functions at the library level.  It essentially moves collections from being XML text based files to database entries which provide better performance and especially control over the collections (permissions), not to mention makes moving media on disc much easier.  This comes with more database changes and yet more database optimizations in general along with some changes to how PEOPLE meta-data is stored.

Kind of spot on Paul.  Both the previous beta with Music enhancements and this soon to be beta have a lot of database changes so we've been doing a lot of testing in private groups of these changes before they hit beta.  An upcoming beta if not the next beta is to also include the first release of tone mapping for HDR->SDR content. All of this as well as many other little things (already in beta) will make the 4.6 release.

The next truly big release is likely going to be the new Live TV release but I don't know if that will get a point release like e.g. 4.7 or 4.8 or if it will be Version 5.0.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:42 AM, pwhodges said:

There are some big changes in the pipeline.  It's not clear how many of them will be in the next version (4.6 is still the current name).  There has been an unusually long gap since the last beta release (over four weeks), which suggests to me that big things are being incorporated which require considerable work to be complete enough to be exposed even to the beta users.

Patience will hopefully be rewarded.

Paul

Without an official roadmap blogpost or the like, this is just pure speculation.

• Like 1

If you follow the testing area you can see all of the changes that will be available in upcoming releases.

crusher11

But you've also been going around the feature requests section saying "this will be in the next release" for almost a month now, with still no sign of even a beta. 

• Like 2

gillmacca01

and this is why there is no visible roadmap. As soon as they went over the time limit, people would complain

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

But you've also been going around the feature requests section saying "this will be in the next release" for almost a month now, with still no sign of even a beta. 

Because the things he's telling you that will be in the next release are already done in past betas or part of the current iteration.  The previous beta (music tagging) and the soon to be beta have been in private alpha testing before being released to beta.  Both the music and the new collections required database modifications plus some really good database optimizations thrown in and changes to how people and some other things are stored (meta-data). Needless to say with these kinds of changes we want to do extra testing up front before releasing to beta to get everything correct. Also lots of feedback from the people involved to get things changed or done slightly differently and then retesting to get it near ideal feature wise.

Then after getting all the core working correctly you test with various plugins and clients and update the ones in need of upgrading. If a third party is involved you then invite the the author into the private testing to give them early access so adjustments can be made to be ready for release. This is exactly where the current in progress beta is at.

There is only one item that I can think of mentioned in the threads that's not part of the current beta about to be released but is in dev. It no doubt will be in the 4.6 release but possibly not in the current beta but the next one, depends on timing. It's not a feature that requires database changes so it could also be it's own beta put out quickly if timing dictates this.

So some betas can have fast turn around cycles, while others warrant an alpha test cycle prior to going to beta. The last 2 betas fall into this with extended testing done up front for everyone's benefit. But any way you cut it, it's just about ready for beta release, so stay tuned.

crusher11

It doesn't help that I keep seeing the "latest versions" thread get bumped, but it turns out to just be an Android TV beta. 

47 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

It doesn't help that I keep seeing the "latest versions" thread get bumped, but it turns out to just be an Android TV beta. 

That's the place to track the latest version for everything not just server which you can do from your server itself. :)

riverboat2001

I'm intrigued by this too.

Do I delve into MediaPortal, and try to learn my way stumbling around another new (to me) program, or hold on and hope my tuner card (TBS 6982) will be natively supported.

IPTV is great, until your internet drops out, or their service goes down!

What I'd really like to see is the ability to see the full info about the channels found.

Here in the UK ITV is regionally different, but they all just return as ITV. Being able to see the full info would make it so much easier.

(Astra 2E (28.2°E) - All transmissions - frequencies - KingOfSat)