I'm really tired of Live TV using my tuners on channels I have never tuned to

Ronstang

Ronstang

Why is Live TV using a tuner on not only a channel I am not recording anything on but also one I have never even tuned to to watch anything??  This has happened several times and there is no way to release the tuner so I am down a tuner for recording with no way to get it back without shutting down Emby.....which is NOT a viable option since I am usually recording something.  So sometime today I will have something that likely won't record (has been happening a lot) because Live TV is using a tuner I never told it too.

What are my options?  I  stopped using Emby to watch TV because of this issue of not releasing tuners ...even when I exit as suggested and I am tired of loosing recordings because Emby won't release the tuner and there is no way to do so.

Why is Live TV using a tuner on not only a channel I am not recording anything on but also one I have never even tuned to to watch anything?

Hi, Emby Server doesn't do this. Can you please go over an example? 

Thanks.

Ronstang

You say it doesn't do this but it has happened several time.  Through CetonProxy I can see what channel my tuners are using.  Currently Emby is using a channel I have NEVER watched so there is no way for me to release the tuner.  Like I said, I had to stop using LiveTV to watch TV because Emby won't release my tuners all the time and then I have problems like recordings that don't take place.

Here is the log....I have never once watched channel 37 and no one but me uses Live TV.....Used, I stopped using it except to record because of all the problems.

embyserver.txt

Ronstang
19 minutes ago, emveepee said:

Is it possible you forgot to turn off NextPVR?  It will lock tuners if you have the tuners primed.

Martin

No, I disabled it since I no longer have Schedules Direct.  I sure wish there was a way to still use the NextPVR plugin in Emby because I would much rather use it than what Emby is providing at the moment as I have had nothing but trouble with Live TV

emveepee

There is  way, just ask Luke to allow access as it was designed.  I'm sure it hurts paid Emby subscribers more than anyone.  I'd love to be able to bring it back too, it is so much better than Jellyfin

Martin

Ronstang
8 minutes ago, emveepee said:

There is  way, just ask Luke to allow access as it was designed.  I'm sure it hurts paid Emby subscribers more than anyone.  I'd love to be able to bring it back too, it is so much better than Jellyfin

Martin

I only bought Premiere for the Live TV and I cannot even use it as it is a mess.  It won't release my tuners sometimes, I cannot watch my recorded shows because I cannot fast forward or rewind, the closed captions don't work and it eats up all my resources because it transcodes everything it is recording or watching....which is ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, emveepee said:

There is  way, just ask Luke to allow access as it was designed. 

Hi, what do you mean by this?

Ronstang

I provided you with the log hours ago Luke....any insight?  All day Emby had had a tuner tied up that I have never recorded to or watched.  I even tried tuning to that channel and then exiting properly and it still won't release the tuner.

emveepee

@LukeI mean opening up NextPVR access to all users as a non-premium feature I'm sure it's not a difficult server UI change.   You can of course keep the restriction on your custom premium Live TV EPG etc.  When swen and you created the addon you were told it access needed to be free.

I think it is a win for premium Emby users since it offers better Kodi integration.

I'd have to confirm this with @sub3 first of course.

Martin

Edited by emveepee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emveepee said:

@LukeI mean opening up NextPVR access to all users as a non-premium feature I'm sure it's not a difficult server UI change.   You can of course keep the restriction on your custom premium Live TV EPG etc.  When swen and you created the addon you were told it access needed to be free.

I think it is a win for premium Emby users since it offers better Kodi integration.

I'd have to confirm this with @sub3 first of course.

Martin

The problem is the user interface across all of these platforms is a major effort that we employ a number of paid software developers to help build for us. The software is our day jobs and we work day and night on it. If we didn't have the ability to do that then they would not be developed as far as they are to the point where people would want to use it as their daily driver.

emveepee
1 hour ago, Luke said:

The problem is the user interface across all of these platforms is a major effort that we employ a number of paid software developers to help build for us. The software is our day jobs and we work day and night on it. If we didn't have the ability to do that then they would not be developed as far as they are to the point where people would want to use it as their daily driver.

I don't believe you actually feel that NextPVR with Emby "free" is close to your premium solution.  I think Emby offers much more and you wouldn't lose significant paid user base, its a niche addon as it is, you'd simply have a better overall product.  Users that want cheaper solutions do already have other options that don't break the NextPVR license.

Martin

That wouldn't make a lot of sense as anyone could just bypass Premiere for Live TV and run everything through NextPVR.  That would increase support as well as it's more involved setup and has more points of failure.

The other reason this doesn't make sense to think about doing NOW is that Live TV as it is now will be extinct soon and replaced with a whole new Live TV pipeline. Plugins for it will work differently and won't be needed by most people as the core will have everything most people need. Emby is striving to make the need for TV plugins obsolete with everything needed already under the hood.  Emby will still support Live TV plugins but they will be more a "lite" plugin.

That's one of the advantages of Premiere is that it funds development and allows improvements like this to happen in time, that would likely never have been possible before.

Ronstang

I like how my thread got derailed....LOL.  I provided the log and no one has responded with any clues.  A day and a half later Emby is still using a tuner for a channel I have never watched and will not release it.  If I wouldn't have bough the extra SSD solely for Live TV's resource appetite my system would have crashed by now messing up any of my recordings at the time.  I just had a window to restart Emby because no recordings are taking place and the channel I have never watched or tuned to has now stopped transcoding constantly.....for days now.

embyserver.txt

Ronstang we have no information to go on which is why Luke asked for additional info in post #2.

But I agree with what Luke said.  Emby doesn't open tuners without a user request or recording, not that I've ever seen but some plugins do/can.

I'll ask specifically for a couple of things I'd like to see.

Please post a picture of the HDHomeRun Status web view for channel in question.  This page specifically for this tuner:

image.png.0f5ed7a183e0396821e7d357149f52eb.png

How long roughly has it been open for?

Provide at least 2 days logs or enough to cover the time frame before you noticed the channel being used.

Now another question.  On the same computer do you have any other DVR programs installed where the tuner is used?  If so shut them down to see if the channel is freed up while Emby is still running. Other programs could be Channels DVR, NextPVR for example.

EDIT: Just noticed you mentioned you are running CetonProxy.  Likely cause of problem is going through this.  Try shutting down CetonProxy and see if the tuner is released.  Since you're running CetonProxy do you have anything similar to the HDHomeRun screen posted above?  Do you have any logs from CetonProxy you can post?

Basically we need to do a tuner "Autopsy" so you need to be our detective and get us info so we can investigate and put a case together. :)

Ronstang

It is Emby, when I restarted the server last night I was watching the tuners through CetonProxy and the minute I restarted it all my tuners went to no channel tuned.  It can't be an accident either because you can't single click on anything and tune to that station, a box pops up and asks you what you want to do like go to live TV or record etc.......so this wasn't me making an error.

Here are all the logs from the last four days

embyserver-63746615369.txt embyserver-63746611200.txt embyserver-63746524800.txt embyserver-63746438400.txt embyserver.txt

There is no FS1 playback in those logs. Only mention I found is loading the EPG.
If there was a recording we'd have to know what show to look for but these is probably easier to look on your system.
Can you do a quick look through of your recorded movies and tv shows just to make sure there's nothing sports related?  Highly unlikely but should be easy to check.

Do you have ceton tuner proxy logs?

Ronstang

Nothing recorded from that channel.  It was just in use for several days like it was tuned to and my transcode temp file was over 250 GiB big because of it.  The minute I restarted Emby that tuner went silent and I got all my space back on me second SSD.

If I have Ceton logs I will have to look this evening as I am too busy to fuss with it now.

• Like 1

It's also possible the tuner was in use before the logs you sent me as well.  If you could check daily perhaps until it happens again we know we would only have 2 days of logs to look through.

Keep and eye on this and the next time you see this let us know!

Ronstang

I will Carlo.  This is the second time it has happened with a channel I never watch in a couple weeks.  First time I thought I had done something, second time I knew it was either a bug or a ghost.  Everything is fine now, only using tuners I record on every day.  Like I said before, I stopped using Live TV to watch TV because I was having nothing but problems.  Now I am using it only to record while I wait for the new version of Live TV...which is fine with me, I'm patient to get what I want.

• Like 1