New user lost setting up LiveTV

rylando

I have two issues.

First, I found this m3u list for LiveTV stations in the US. - 

https://iptv-org.github.io/iptv/countries/us.m3u

Source - https://github.com/iptv-restream/iptv-channels

I have added it as an M3U provider, but I'm not sure how to add a guide since the process asks for my zip and provider/OTA.

The biggest problem I have is that even choosing a bogus guide, LiveTV does not show on my homepage. I have it in the list under Home Screen, but nothing shows. I know I'm doing something dumb, but would really appreciate any assistance. I am a premium user.

I'm familiar with that m3u list and can tell you up front you have quite a chore ahead of you to set up a guide for it ASIS.

You have to figure out if the network channels are east or west coast or any time zones in between, then find a guide in the time zone for the channel.  Typically the channels will be either east or west coast however there are local channels and EACH AND EVERY ONE of those will require an EPG source local to that station.

That list ASIS would require 25 to 30 guides.  If you hand craft it and remove the locals and foreign channels you don't need then you can likely get it down to 2 or 3 guides and I'd try using an East and West coast feed of a sat provider like DirecTV or Dish.  But again you'll have to determine if the channels is an East or West Coast feed.

You'll also want to remove all the channels that don't work or just have to low a resolution for you.  None of them are high quality.

So  if you must use a list like that I'd play outside Emby first.  Use VLC and open the M3U file in notepad and play each channel while removing bad channels using notepad. Then open an online guide for Dish or Direct TV online and watch what's on a network channel and see if it matches the guide for the time zone you choose to see if it's east or west coast based. Write down the station ID or Channel number on the sat provider.

If you break it down like that as a process it will make it much easier in Emby.

I see, looking at other posts, that this isn't what I was expecting. It looks to me like most m3u files are provided by some service. I really don't need that big of a list to start with, but it was my first go at trying. I have a Samsung TV that gives about 50 free channels and I was thinking it would be something along those lines.

With that said, is there any recommendations for a simple (free) list that others have had success with? I'm not trying to go outside the scope of Emby or break the rules. And, would having that large list be the cause of LiveTV not showing on my homescreen? 

And, would having that large list be the cause of LiveTV not showing on my homescreen? 

No, this is most likely due to one of:

• The configured home screen settings for that emby user
  • The emby user being denied access to live tv via user permissions

8 minutes ago, Luke said:
  • The emby user being denied access to live tv via user permissions

Bingo. Told you it was something dumb on my part.

Edit: Thank you!

Edited by rylando