Questions on Downloading/Sync funcitons

Chiefmas
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Chiefmas

I was looking at the download functions and have some questions:

when using it with a convert, does it use the hardware accelerated transcode, or does it only use a software encoder? The settings in conversions make it look as though it might only do a sw encode. I'm assuming those settings influence the downloads, which it's not clear that they will. The settings in the Downloads section don't really touch on it. I'lm also realizing the wording in the thread count section almost seems to suggest that this affects on the fly transcoding?

As for conversions, when/how often does cleanup happen? I was looking through the sync folder and I see a conversion from almost a month ago sitting in there. I didn't see any settings for cleaning up. Is that something I need to be concerned about/manually take care of once in a while/script externally to cleanup?

Thanks!

As for conversions, when/how often does cleanup happen? I was looking through the sync folder and I see a conversion from almost a month ago sitting in there.

Hi, cleaned up from where?

Chiefmas

I think I wasn't clear on the cleanup. I'm assuming Emby cleans up the sync/conversions folders once in a while. I've got a file dangling in a folder that's quite old (a month at this point). I don't want to mess something up by just going in and removing it myself, but I am not sure how to tell if it's actually orphaned now or not.

• 2 weeks later...
Chiefmas

Sorry! I'm not sure if it is or not. Is there a way to see what user might be responsible for the file? Somewhere in Emby I can see who has sync'd files out there still?

I have a guess who it is, so I'll try and find out from them, but I'm not positive. I've also disabled syncing functions for that person, and the file remains...it feels orphaned to me, but I don't know how to verify if it is or isn't.

Thanks!

Chiefmas

Ok, so I reached out, person sent me a screen shot, turns out they had a lot of stuff queued...same item multiple times even. There was a successful download of the item in question, but she didn't realize she had all this stuff. So she removed all the failed and queued items. This cleaned up my end...but she kept 3 things that showed as downloaded...but those aren't in the sync folder, and removing the other items cleared up the item that was there so...I guess that was maybe one of the failed transfers?

Maybe the question I should be asking is:once a sync/download is successful, Emby removes the working copy from the sync folder?

On 2/4/2021 at 3:48 PM, Chiefmas said:

I've also disabled syncing functions for that person, and the file remains...it feels orphaned to me, but I don't know how to verify if it is or isn't.

Thanks!

Try  deleting the download from the server downloads section.

• Solution
On 2/4/2021 at 4:19 PM, Chiefmas said:

Maybe the question I should be asking is:once a sync/download is successful, Emby removes the working copy from the sync folder?

Yes, this already happens. It only remains if it hasn't been downloaded yet.