Storing a 2 disc movie without creating 2 separate movie selections

dcruff
Go to solution Solved by roaku,

I have several movies which come as 2 discs and are labeled part 1 and part 2.  Currently, I have them as 2 different movies, but it would be preferable to a single selection that offers a sub-screen with both parts displayed.  I haven't found a way to do this yet, even though I know that what I am asking for is similar to the way tv show categorized items are treated (such as series).  This would also apply to storing extras along with the main movies (ie. gag reel, deleted scenes, etc.)

Ideas?

Combining them to create one movie is the best approach (mkvtoolnix is pretty easy to use), but Emby supports a naming convention for connecting multipart movies.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming

Split video files (file stacking)

The following are default stacking extensions that can be added to file names. # can be 1 through 9 or A through D. Stacking is supported for video files (but only when each video is in its own folder as in the example below) as well as dvd and blu-ray folder structures. Split videos require all parts be in the same movie folder with no other videos present in that folder.

• part#
  • cd#
  • dvd#
  • pt#
  • disk#
  • disc#

You can also use:

• moviename#.ext

Where # can be A through D.

Examples:

\Movies\Avatar (2009)\Avatar (2009)-cd1.mkv
\Movies\Avatar (2009)\Avatar (2009)-cd2.mkv

Edited by roaku

Thank you for the quick reply. 

Makes for a very long movie on some titles.  And it doesn't address movie bonus features.

Dave

• Solution

Then use the multi part naming convention I included instead.

With either approach, the movie/parts would now be in the same folder, and all the special features would also go in that folder, following their naming convention (also in the link I included).

Awesome.  That's just what I wanted.  I just tested it and it works.

Now for the task of adding extras to many, many, many movies.

Dave

Excellent. I've got a lot of carefully curated extras myself, so if you want to like some of the posts in this extras feature request thread, maybe we can get the devs to expand that functionality a bit. :)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
BillybobBilly

Sorry for dredging up an old topic but I recently ran into this issue with a couple movies and I just combined them into a custom collection. It isn't the cleanest solution but it works. I don't know how to properly merge two movies together so this is the best solution I could come up with personally.

20 hours ago, BillybobBilly said:

Sorry for dredging up an old topic but I recently ran into this issue with a couple movies and I just combined them into a custom collection. It isn't the cleanest solution but it works. I don't know how to properly merge two movies together so this is the best solution I could come up with personally.

Hi there @BillybobBilly can you please provide an example? Thanks.

BillybobBilly
On 6/22/2022 at 9:32 AM, Luke said:

Hi there @BillybobBilly can you please provide an example? Thanks.

I have a couple of movies that are split into part 1 and part 2. They're old rips and encoded pretty poorly but they're obscure movies so pretty hard to find. 

Basically what I do is I just select both movies (which, using Tiny Media Manager to change the metadata) that are sorted separate from one another. I just add these two movies to a collection (either a new collection or a pre-existing collection if they're a part of one). I then just make sure they are titled "Movie: Part 1" and "Movie: Part 2" with the date of part 1 set to 1 day prior to part 2 so they automatically play in order when you play the collection.

image.png.b42028cee1cf6578edb18128bc97b047.png

Edited by BillybobBilly

7 hours ago, BillybobBilly said:

I have a couple of movies that are split into part 1 and part 2.

Hi.  The best thing to do here is just to merge those into a single file but, if you cannot do that for some reason, you could use our multi-part naming format.

BillybobBilly
On 6/29/2022 at 5:22 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  The best thing to do here is just to merge those into a single file but, if you cannot do that for some reason, you could use our multi-part naming format.

If you use the multi-part naming format how does it look in Emby when viewing movie? Is it listed as one movie with the dropdown for selecting part 1 or 2? Does it automatically play part 2 after part 1?

4 hours ago, BillybobBilly said:

If you use the multi-part naming format how does it look in Emby when viewing movie? Is it listed as one movie with the dropdown for selecting part 1 or 2? Does it automatically play part 2 after part 1?

The detail screen will show additional parts. Not all Emby apps have implemetned automatic play of part 2 after part 1. We'll get there, but for the best experience possible we suggest joining the files.