MKV with FLAC 5.1 only playing in stereo via Roku Ultra

ClutchFan

ClutchFan

I'm trying to play a blue ray backup and I'm just getting stereo even though it has FLAC 5.1 audio. Here are some details / specs:

• NAS: Synology DS 1019+
  • File: Skyfall Blue Ray backup that I backed up myself, .mkv, FLAC 5.1 audio
  • Roku Ultra w/Emby app installed
  • Roku connected to receiver via HDMI
  • Roku Audio Mode: Auto (DD+, DTS)
  • Receiver: Denon AVRS730H
  • Receiver connected to LG OLED65B8PUA

FWIW, I can stream 5.1 from Netflix via the Roku, so I don't think it's a hardware issue from Roku to the TV. Maybe it's an issue from NAS > Roku? Meanwhile, I also tried using Roku Media Player and even DS Video on this file, and both only played stereo. I just tried another movie, The Dark Knight Rises, also backed up by me, .mkv w/FLAC 5.1, and it has the same issue.

• Sad 1

Happy2Play

Pretty sure the Roku itself is doing the downmixing.

FLAC 5.1 sends DD 2.0 via Direct Playing - Roku - Emby Community

@speechlesis this correct?

8 minutes ago, ClutchFan said:

FWIW, I can stream 5.1 from Netflix via the Roku,

How would this apply?  Are you saying you know they are using the exact same container and audio and video codecs?

• Like 1

Did Roku break their reporting for your device?

Our capabilities read everything from the device. Can you send a log from the device and let @ebr know. We need the time you send it in EST so it makes it easy for him. Also need the name of the server and name of the user logged in on the server. With those he can find your log. In that will be what was detected for that device. Simply play something after you start the application then send a log to us. You must enable debug in settings and then exit the application and restart it before you can see the "send logs" button at the bottom of your home screen. This is to prevent people sending us logs all the time for no reason. Hope you understand.

Seeing that will verify if your device is lying to us or not. If it is lying we will investigate what we need to do. Apologies you have the problem. Once we get the logs we can do more. Thanks. :)

FYI: The logs will give us what device model you are using, which firmware version it has on it, and which codecs it reports as supported as well as how many channels each of those codecs supports. Something in that device must be giving us bogus replies.

Edited by speechles

4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Pretty sure the Roku itself is doing the downmixing.

FLAC 5.1 sends DD 2.0 via Direct Playing - Roku - Emby Community

@speechlesis this correct?

How would this apply?  Are you saying you know they are using the exact same container and audio and video codecs?

That might be true and the Roku itself is downmix and we could change this by forcing this to Dolby AC3. Seeing the logs would verify. I hate when it says the codec is supported in 5.1 and then on the device turns it into 2.0. That isn't supported then. We will work together to solve this in the best way. This is something Roku is doing in that case and we have to work around it. The logs will verify if this is the case.

• Like 1

ClutchFan

@Happy2Play Not saying they're the same, I was pointing out that the Roku + Receiver + TV are capable of playing 5.1 audio (and better). So theoretically that rules out some issues on those devices doesn't it? No HDMI cable issues, receiver is functioning properly, etc.

@speechles No worries! I'm not sure what you mean about Roku breaking their reporting? I attached a log file here, will tagging @ebr be sufficient for notification, or is there some other way to send the file? Server is "Mike" and user is "MikesSynNAS"

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, ClutchFan said:

Not saying they're the same, I was pointing out that the Roku + Receiver + TV are capable of playing 5.1 audio (and better). So theoretically that rules out some issues on those devices doesn't it? No HDMI cable issues, receiver is functioning properly, etc

True I have zero issue with AC3 5.1 or with potential additional option on AAC 5.1 conversion.  I have yet to see any real documentation on anything referencing multi-channel FLAC support.

We need the logfile from your Roku device. You must go into the Roku application and enable debug. It is under advanced settings. Once you do this press home and exit the application. When you restart it at the bottom as the last row will be an option called "Send Logs". But first play an item then send logs. Just do the one item playing and send logs. Start the app, play the one thing, send logs.

The reason we need app logs inside the app is because we need to know what your Roku device detected. @ebr will need the time you sent this in Eastern Standard Time EST, also he will need the server and user name logged in on that server. Then he can find the log.

It isn't the server log we need at all. It is the Roku application log built from the Roku application as it reads the device information from that Roku device. Only a Roku device can send the log we need. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

ClutchFan

@speechles @ebr ok got it, I just enabled, restarted Emby, played the video for a few seconds, then sent logs, and it said it was sent to developer. I'm on the east coast so all times should already be in eastern, server is Mike and username is MikesSynNAS

Let me know if that seems good?

2 hours ago, ClutchFan said:

@speechles @ebr anyone had a change to look at this yet?

It appears to be direct playing in all cases based on your server log, is that correct? Unfortunately if that's true then there's not a whole lot we can do other than report the problem to Roku, and then perhaps utilize server transcoding to convert the audio to another format.

ClutchFan

Hi, yes it does seem to be direct playing for everything. Is there a way to make Emby do this transcoding on the fly, or does it have to be done beforehand? Also, for the future when I backup blue rays, should I use something other than FLAC 5.1? I usually use makemkv for backups

10 hours ago, ClutchFan said:

for the future when I backup blue rays, should I use something other than FLAC 5.1?

Yes.  I would create/keep any DD track that exists.  That will be much more compatible with all devices.

For this specific issue, we can tie the same option we use for converting AAC audio to flac as well.

This would only need to be done on the newest Roku ultra. All the other devices can properly play FLAC 5.1. The newest Roku ultra has crippled audio support because Roku is manipulate the audio stream into 2 channels for every single audio codec that does not pass-through. The Roku streaming stick is a better choice.

57 minutes ago, ClutchFan said:

Thanks for the info @ebr & @speechles. So is there anything I can do now, to get these particular types of files to play correctly? Some setting in Emby, or the Emby Roku app?

The next release of the Emby Beta on Roku will also include FLAC. It will be under the "Playback settings" as "Convert multi-channel AAC/FLAC" and just make sure this says YES.

https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBeta

There are no requirements to using the Beta other than please report issues, bugs, short-comings, things that piss you off, etc..

The Beta does not mean buggy, broken, or bad. It means development version.
The Roku store version requires Roku approval, certification, and waiting in line to be pushed to the store. We can update the Beta without Roku approval.