R730 Server - GPU Recommendations

nagetech

nagetech

Howdy everyone! Been a bit since I've last posted here.

Recently picked up a R730 server that I will be make into my new emby server. Currently running a T710, and the old girl has served me well.

I was thinking about toying around with putting a GPU in there and play with hardware transcoding.

Figured I'd turn to the wisdom of the masses here and see if someone could point me in the right direction. I did some research, but the information is a bit overwhelming.

Looking forward to hearing back from you guys :)

sooty234

It's only a 2U chassis? The only way I see you getting a GPU in that, is to use a PCIe riser or ribbon extender. Do you have enough space to lay a card down and secure it? And you'd have to use something simple like a GTX 1050, possibly with no bracket and/or modified cooling.

nagetech

Thanks for the reply! It is a 2u chassis, but it was built to accept video cards. Even has a power point for it on the rear riser. 

what I was trying to figure out was, what’s the best bang for buck card :) don’t want the bottom of the barrel but don’t want to take out another mortgage. 

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
analogking

What cpu or cpus are you using?  You might not need a video card. 

The fans may spin faster after adding a video card.  My poweredge servers from the same generation got louder when I added a fiber channel or usb expansion card.
If sound is an issue, you might want to consider that. You can force them back down, but that may lead to a thermal event.