Jump to content

4k Stutter


poormanhummer

Recommended Posts

sooty234

Ok, @poormanhummer let me make it easier for you. I'm attaching a zip file with a folder called mpv. In that folder I have created an mpv.conf file for you. Unzip that folder to;

C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming

Replace 'USERNAME' with your own username.

Now open the mpv.conf file. You will also need to replace 'USERNAME' with your username in the text. This should now create a log file on your desktop. Play one file only once, to recreate the error. Then attach the log file.

 

mpv.zip

Edited by sooty234
Link to post
Share on other sites
sooty234
16 minutes ago, markyp said:

the mediainfo says 23fps and yet it seems to be trying to play at 60Hz...

That's the display frame rate. The frequency of the tv that mpv will Interpolate to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
markyp
On 16/01/2021 at 18:53, poormanhummer said:

After reading through the forums I've seen a number of people having problems playing 4k content. I've been trying on and off for months but I cannot get Emby Theater to play 4k content smoothly (VLC plays them fine).

 

The setup I'm using:

Server: Synology DS918+

Client: Win 10 PC

 

I've been able to stream 4k content or direct play over the network with no issues and minimal resources so I don't believe it's a hardware setup. I've tried all the setting in ET that I can find (through the GUI), some cause certain files to play smoothly but not others. I love the interface but it's been garbage for 4k. Does anyone have any suggestions that I'm missing? I haven't tried Plex yet - is that a better option for 4k?

 

image.thumb.png.baad2929e26aea37785a144da4135d21.png

 

Any tips or tricks would be muchly appreciated!

 

Cheers

image.png

am i missing something?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem. With the latest versions it's imposible to watch 4k on one of my computers, it's definetly something related to mpv, with vlc or mpc-hc 4k hevc videos play smoothly, but with emby theater or directly with mpv player there are frame drops. Maybe it only fails with some graphic cards, because with Nvidia and AMD I have no problem at all, but with Intel graphics there is no way. It can be a performance regression too, in my case the computer failing with Intel graphics is the one with lowest power too. I have attached mpv log of the computer suffering the problem.

mpv_log.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke
3 hours ago, xchema said:

I have the same problem. With the latest versions it's imposible to watch 4k on one of my computers, it's definetly something related to mpv, with vlc or mpc-hc 4k hevc videos play smoothly, but with emby theater or directly with mpv player there are frame drops. Maybe it only fails with some graphic cards, because with Nvidia and AMD I have no problem at all, but with Intel graphics there is no way. It can be a performance regression too, in my case the computer failing with Intel graphics is the one with lowest power too. I have attached mpv log of the computer suffering the problem.

mpv_log.txt 91.04 kB · 1 download

Hi, in the app's video settings, try setting the video renderer to gpu and see if that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
sooty234

Yes, try Luke's suggestion, but I'm suspecting this is something else. When you enable GPU rendering, if the issue persists, please post a screenshot of the stats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, in the app's video settings, try setting the video renderer to gpu and see if that helps.

Thanks, that's the first thing I tried but no luck. I attach a screenshot with stats as requested. The previous mpv log was done with gpu renderer too.

screenshot.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke
7 hours ago, xchema said:

Thanks, that's the first thing I tried but no luck. I attach a screenshot with stats as requested. The previous mpv log was done with gpu renderer too.

screenshot.png

Try configuring the optional network paths for your server libraries so that the app can access files directly over your network.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Luke said:

Try configuring the optional network paths for your server libraries so that the app can access files directly over your network.

I have tried but same behavior.

screenshot.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

Just an FYI, Direct File Play isn't available in a web browser, only certain Emby apps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Just an FYI, Direct File Play isn't available in a web browser, only certain Emby apps.

I know, but as can be seen in screenshots, it's emby theater and play method is direct play, no transcoding.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
poormanhummer
On 22/01/2021 at 18:47, sooty234 said:

Ok, @poormanhummer let me make it easier for you. I'm attaching a zip file with a folder called mpv. In that folder I have created an mpv.conf file for you. Unzip that folder to;

C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming

Replace 'USERNAME' with your own username.

Now open the mpv.conf file. You will also need to replace 'USERNAME' with your username in the text. This should now create a log file on your desktop. Play one file only once, to recreate the error. Then attach the log file.

 

 

 

mpv.zip 326 B · 7 downloads

Hi Sooty234,

Thank you. That was pretty straightforward. It did not generate a .txt file though. The text in the .conf file is: log-file="C:\Users\HT\Desktop\mpv log.txt (HT is the user name). Am I missing something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
poormanhummer

Little help? The only update I have is playing 4k with Kodi or VLC play fine (with Direct 3d11 hardware acceleration turned on). Ive been trying every hardware acceleration option in the ET GUI but still no luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke
1 minute ago, poormanhummer said:

Little help? The only update I have is playing 4k with Kodi or VLC play fine (with Direct 3d11 hardware acceleration turned on). Ive been trying every hardware acceleration option in the ET GUI but still no luck.

Hi, please try configuring the video renderer option to gpu and see if that helps. thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
poormanhummer
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, please try configuring the video renderer option to gpu and see if that helps. thanks.

Hi Luke

 

Tried that too. No luck.

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
Luke
18 minutes ago, poormanhummer said:

Hi Luke

 

Tried that too. No luck.

Cheers

Please attach the emby server log. thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

Hi, question for you guys have trouble with 4K using GPU in Theater.

Do you have an Intel Graphics adapter?
If so what is your driver version?

I'm asking this because in private tone map testing we notice a HUGE difference in performance with Intel GPUs based on driver when not up to date or using the MS stock driver (not so good).

If your GPU driver isn't 1.34 you can try updating your driver from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30148/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers
These are current drivers directly from Intel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
thelanranger

4k is simply not working in emby. I've completely given up on it. I can put plex on whatever device I'm having an issue with and it will stream the exact some file perfectly fine with HDR and never blip once. Xbox it has to be something to do with the media player issue that has been discussed (Microsoft not supporting some codecs on the xbox) but elsewhere like the Roku or PC it's just something inherent to the play method like not defaulting to direct play or something.

Even if I can wrestle with it and get it to work on something like the Roku it's so much of a chore that if I'm doing something in 4k I just don't even bother with attempting it in emby anymore. I could be done the movie by the time I get it sorted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars
1 hour ago, thelanranger said:

4k is simply not working in emby. I've completely given up on it. I can put plex on whatever device I'm having an issue with and it will stream the exact some file perfectly fine with HDR and never blip once. Xbox it has to be something to do with the media player issue that has been discussed (Microsoft not supporting some codecs on the xbox) but elsewhere like the Roku or PC it's just something inherent to the play method like not defaulting to direct play or something.

Even if I can wrestle with it and get it to work on something like the Roku it's so much of a chore that if I'm doing something in 4k I just don't even bother with attempting it in emby anymore. I could be done the movie by the time I get it sorted.

4K works great in Emby and many of us have been playing 4K since it was available.  You need a client cable of playing 4K properly with support of the audio tracks your using.

You can easily play 4K in Roku, Android (mobile and ATV), theater for PC, several TVs etc platform with good network connections.  You'll struggle with most 4K HDR media in browsers or clients such as xbox which aren't 4K friendly to 3rd party apps.  It's all in having the correct environment and pre-processing the media (audio tracks) if needed.  With beta server 4.2.0.26 or later you can likely transcode HDR material as well if your server is up to the task.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Happy2Play
1 hour ago, thelanranger said:

Even if I can wrestle with it and get it to work on something like the Roku it's so much of a chore

Sorry but full context is needed.  What is a chore about clicking play on the remote?  That is all I do, I navigate to my 4K content and select play on my Roku Ultra.

But everyone's setup and hardware is different. If your media is not direct playable then yes it is problematic as it has to transcode as HDR and HLS do not get along.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...