4k Stutter

poormanshummer

sooty234

Ok, @poormanhummer let me make it easier for you. I'm attaching a zip file with a folder called mpv. In that folder I have created an mpv.conf file for you. Unzip that folder to;

C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming

Replace 'USERNAME' with your own username.

Now open the mpv.conf file. You will also need to replace 'USERNAME' with your username in the text. This should now create a log file on your desktop. Play one file only once, to recreate the error. Then attach the log file.

mpv.zip

Edited by sooty234

sooty234
16 minutes ago, markyp said:

the mediainfo says 23fps and yet it seems to be trying to play at 60Hz...

That's the display frame rate. The frequency of the tv that mpv will Interpolate to.

On 16/01/2021 at 18:53, poormanhummer said:

After reading through the forums I've seen a number of people having problems playing 4k content. I've been trying on and off for months but I cannot get Emby Theater to play 4k content smoothly (VLC plays them fine).

The setup I'm using:

Server: Synology DS918+

Client: Win 10 PC

I've been able to stream 4k content or direct play over the network with no issues and minimal resources so I don't believe it's a hardware setup. I've tried all the setting in ET that I can find (through the GUI), some cause certain files to play smoothly but not others. I love the interface but it's been garbage for 4k. Does anyone have any suggestions that I'm missing? I haven't tried Plex yet - is that a better option for 4k?

image.thumb.png.baad2929e26aea37785a144da4135d21.png

Any tips or tricks would be muchly appreciated!

Cheers

image.png

am i missing something?

I have the same problem. With the latest versions it's imposible to watch 4k on one of my computers, it's definetly something related to mpv, with vlc or mpc-hc 4k hevc videos play smoothly, but with emby theater or directly with mpv player there are frame drops. Maybe it only fails with some graphic cards, because with Nvidia and AMD I have no problem at all, but with Intel graphics there is no way. It can be a performance regression too, in my case the computer failing with Intel graphics is the one with lowest power too. I have attached mpv log of the computer suffering the problem.

mpv_log.txt

3 hours ago, xchema said:

I have the same problem. With the latest versions it's imposible to watch 4k on one of my computers, it's definetly something related to mpv, with vlc or mpc-hc 4k hevc videos play smoothly, but with emby theater or directly with mpv player there are frame drops. Maybe it only fails with some graphic cards, because with Nvidia and AMD I have no problem at all, but with Intel graphics there is no way. It can be a performance regression too, in my case the computer failing with Intel graphics is the one with lowest power too. I have attached mpv log of the computer suffering the problem.

mpv_log.txt 91.04 kB · 1 download

Hi, in the app's video settings, try setting the video renderer to gpu and see if that helps.

sooty234

Yes, try Luke's suggestion, but I'm suspecting this is something else. When you enable GPU rendering, if the issue persists, please post a screenshot of the stats.

15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, in the app's video settings, try setting the video renderer to gpu and see if that helps.

Thanks, that's the first thing I tried but no luck. I attach a screenshot with stats as requested. The previous mpv log was done with gpu renderer too.

screenshot.png

7 hours ago, xchema said:

Thanks, that's the first thing I tried but no luck. I attach a screenshot with stats as requested. The previous mpv log was done with gpu renderer too.

screenshot.png

Try configuring the optional network paths for your server libraries so that the app can access files directly over your network.

19 hours ago, Luke said:

Try configuring the optional network paths for your server libraries so that the app can access files directly over your network.

I have tried but same behavior.

screenshot.png

Just an FYI, Direct File Play isn't available in a web browser, only certain Emby apps.

4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Just an FYI, Direct File Play isn't available in a web browser, only certain Emby apps.

I know, but as can be seen in screenshots, it's emby theater and play method is direct play, no transcoding.

• Like 1

poormanshummer
On 22/01/2021 at 18:47, sooty234 said:

Ok, @poormanhummer let me make it easier for you. I'm attaching a zip file with a folder called mpv. In that folder I have created an mpv.conf file for you. Unzip that folder to;

C:\users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming

Replace 'USERNAME' with your own username.

Now open the mpv.conf file. You will also need to replace 'USERNAME' with your username in the text. This should now create a log file on your desktop. Play one file only once, to recreate the error. Then attach the log file.

mpv.zip 326 B · 7 downloads

Hi Sooty234,

Thank you. That was pretty straightforward. It did not generate a .txt file though. The text in the .conf file is: log-file="C:\Users\HT\Desktop\mpv log.txt (HT is the user name). Am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...
poormanshummer

Little help? The only update I have is playing 4k with Kodi or VLC play fine (with Direct 3d11 hardware acceleration turned on). Ive been trying every hardware acceleration option in the ET GUI but still no luck.

1 minute ago, poormanhummer said:

Little help? The only update I have is playing 4k with Kodi or VLC play fine (with Direct 3d11 hardware acceleration turned on). Ive been trying every hardware acceleration option in the ET GUI but still no luck.

Hi, please try configuring the video renderer option to gpu and see if that helps. thanks.

poormanshummer
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, please try configuring the video renderer option to gpu and see if that helps. thanks.

Hi Luke

Tried that too. No luck.

Cheers

18 minutes ago, poormanhummer said:

Hi Luke

Tried that too. No luck.

Cheers

Please attach the emby server log. thanks.

Hi, question for you guys have trouble with 4K using GPU in Theater.

Do you have an Intel Graphics adapter?
If so what is your driver version?

I'm asking this because in private tone map testing we notice a HUGE difference in performance with Intel GPUs based on driver when not up to date or using the MS stock driver (not so good).

If your GPU driver isn't 1.34 you can try updating your driver from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30148/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers
These are current drivers directly from Intel.

thelanranger

4k is simply not working in emby. I've completely given up on it. I can put plex on whatever device I'm having an issue with and it will stream the exact some file perfectly fine with HDR and never blip once. Xbox it has to be something to do with the media player issue that has been discussed (Microsoft not supporting some codecs on the xbox) but elsewhere like the Roku or PC it's just something inherent to the play method like not defaulting to direct play or something.

Even if I can wrestle with it and get it to work on something like the Roku it's so much of a chore that if I'm doing something in 4k I just don't even bother with attempting it in emby anymore. I could be done the movie by the time I get it sorted.

1 hour ago, thelanranger said:

4k is simply not working in emby. I've completely given up on it. I can put plex on whatever device I'm having an issue with and it will stream the exact some file perfectly fine with HDR and never blip once. Xbox it has to be something to do with the media player issue that has been discussed (Microsoft not supporting some codecs on the xbox) but elsewhere like the Roku or PC it's just something inherent to the play method like not defaulting to direct play or something.

Even if I can wrestle with it and get it to work on something like the Roku it's so much of a chore that if I'm doing something in 4k I just don't even bother with attempting it in emby anymore. I could be done the movie by the time I get it sorted.

4K works great in Emby and many of us have been playing 4K since it was available.  You need a client cable of playing 4K properly with support of the audio tracks your using.

You can easily play 4K in Roku, Android (mobile and ATV), theater for PC, several TVs etc platform with good network connections.  You'll struggle with most 4K HDR media in browsers or clients such as xbox which aren't 4K friendly to 3rd party apps.  It's all in having the correct environment and pre-processing the media (audio tracks) if needed.  With beta server 4.2.0.26 or later you can likely transcode HDR material as well if your server is up to the task.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, thelanranger said:

Even if I can wrestle with it and get it to work on something like the Roku it's so much of a chore

Sorry but full context is needed.  What is a chore about clicking play on the remote?  That is all I do, I navigate to my 4K content and select play on my Roku Ultra.

But everyone's setup and hardware is different. If your media is not direct playable then yes it is problematic as it has to transcode as HDR and HLS do not get along.

• 3 weeks later...
poormanshummer

So still at it. I was thinking that my video card was the culprit - though I've got the 4k HEVC files to work on multiple players. I just tried Windows Movie player. I had to purchase the HEVC codec. Works fine - CPU @ 50% and GPU around 30-50%. Just for shits and giggles I tried emby again with the new codec installed - the videos now play much smoother. It's still dropping frames and the GPU is pinned at 90-100% but it is better. The onscreen display when playing videos is gone now though and having issues getting ET to go fullscreen. Couple questions:

Is there an update coming to address any HEVC issues?

Is there a recommended PC hardware list to run Emby Theatre 4k HEVC?

poormanshummer

Holy crap finally got it sorted! I found a setting in Win 10:

Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling

Turned this on, set the hardware accelerator in Emby to:

Nvidia NVDEC Copy Back

All the 4k HEVC files now play like butter, the GPU is sitting around 30-50% when playing files. It doesn't seem like any frames are dropping though the on screen display no longer works so I can't check (that's a weird one). I tried reinstalling ET but no luck on the OSD fix. At least 4k is now working!

Hope this helps anyone else with issues running 4k through an Nvidia GPU. That was painful...

Edited by poormanhummer
  • Like 1

poormanshummer

Update on the OSD - when hardware acceleration is set to Auto, the OSD appears but playback on 4k is choppy. When hardware acceleration is set to GPU, playback is smooth but OSD disappears (sometimes you can  see it for a split second when exiting a video). Turned out the selecting the Nvidia codec was not necessary - auto works fine now.

I've tried a clean install but no luck there. The only difference from previous to now is Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling is enabled.

Still have issues with ET not starting in full screen though not a deal breaker. Having the OSD AND smooth playback would be groovy, 

Any ideas?