Emby and VPN, I need help!

Yodikko
Go to solution Solved by pwhodges,

So remote connection on my server won't work. Which port should I forward to my VPN provider? I am not really good in networking and stuff like that so I really need help!

Hello Yodikko,

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

sooty234

You need to forward the same port that you see in the dashboard. Have you successfully forwarded through your router?

Edited by sooty234
  • Thanks 1

Nop, but I know wich to choose, I just need to know if i have to add both  TCP and UDP with 8096 and 8920 or I have to put something different

Okkey so, the problem is that I still can't connect on my Emby server. Locally I can, but when I try with cellular data it doesn't work. Now my ports looks like open and I don't understand why I can't connect remotely. (I'm hosting without VPN for now to see if it works without it).

Image: https://imgur.com/a/hL9VB3O
I don't even know what are those port other then emby, yesterday there was just 2 of emby

EDIT: https://imgur.com/a/9p4PJAa why??

That's the same ip I have on Emby for remote access

Edited by Yodikko

pwhodges

Have you verified that your server's public IP address is what you think it is, using something like WhatIsMyIP? If that is not showing what you expect, you are behind cgNAT, and will need to use the VPN to get a known and consistent address, or maybe ask your ISP if they can take you off cgNAT (some will).

Those extra ports are of no concern, but are part of the normal operation of NAT.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1

• Solution
pwhodges

The OP has determined that they are behind cgNAT, so they will need to get their VPN going with a known IP.  They have reached their post limit here for today, and I don't have the experience (or time, today) to help them by PM right now.

Paul

• Like 1

Sorry for late reply, I reached the max amount of post per day.
Anyway I solved, thanks to both @sooty234 and @pwhodges.
SOLUTION:
I asked my VPN provider to open 8096 port, then added that fixed IP to the VPN software and always connect to that for hosting the Emby server. Then I start the server (or restart if it was already open) and go to the control panel, and connect manually to the remote access ip with the other devices. In this way I can connect with mobile phone + VPN to my Emby server started with a VPN. Thank you guys and thanks to the Emby developers :)❤️

It was simpler than i thought but I never done these things.

I use TorGuard, you can open port by going on their site > my services > vpn and then click the gear to the right and ask them to open the port.

Then you have to add the fixed ip on TorGuard softwere as shown here: https://torguard.net/article/205/how-to-add-your-dedicated-ip-to-the-torguard-desktop-client.html

Edited by Yodikko

17 hours ago, Luke said:

@Abobader Re: on the post limit mentioned above.

I will increase it tonight, but it meant to be for the reason you know about, but I will.