VPN - Emby Remote Access - Secure Solution?

JulesC

sooty234
1 hour ago, JulesC said:

@sooty234 Did you have to order a separate NIC for your HP Elite 8300 Ultra Small Slim PC or did you find one with 2 NICs?  

I built the machine from parts that I had. But it has similar components to yours. I had a spare dual 10G NIC, so I used that. All you need to do is buy another single NIC and add it. I suggest an Intel NIC.

1 minute ago, sooty234 said:

I built the machine from parts that I had. But it has similar components to yours. I had a spare dual 10G NIC, so I used that. All you need to do is buy another single NIC and add it. I suggest an Intel NIC.

Understand. Thank you for everything. 

On 17/01/2021 at 01:11, JulesC said:

I tried installing OpenVPN on the NAS, but Emby remote access was not accessible; as OpenVPN doesn't support Port 443.

Hi,

Why do you need 443? With VPN you’re already on your LAN, you can reach your Emby server via its IP address (the dynamically assigned by the OpenVPN service or the NAS IP address if you enabled LAN clients access). I’m doing that with one of my DiskStations.
However, I prefer to use DSM’s reverse proxy. Combined with DSM’s firewall they’ll provide good security. That’s the one I’m using on my main DiskStation.

1 hour ago, A32 said:

Hi,

Why do you need 443? With VPN you’re already on your LAN, you can reach your Emby server via its IP address (the dynamically assigned by the OpenVPN service or the NAS IP address if you enabled LAN clients access). I’m doing that with one of my DiskStations.
However, I prefer to use DSM’s reverse proxy. Combined with DSM’s firewall they’ll provide good security. That’s the one I’m using on my main DiskStation.

Thanks for your response. I have my remote users (a couple family members) accessing my Emby Server via Google Domain, SSL, and Reverse Proxy (on NAS). I use OpenVPN installed on Pfsense Router/Firewall to access my NAS, etc. 

• 7 months later...
liamsoren

Hi, are you sure that ExpressVPN is the best choice for this? I've heard that it's not the safest and there are other soft that provides better security. OpenVPN is better, imho

2 hours ago, liamsoren said:

Hi, are you sure that ExpressVPN is the best choice for this? I've heard that it's not the safest and there are other soft that provides better security. OpenVPN is better, imho

ExpressVPN, in this case, is using OpenVPN protocol, so it's fine. Now I'm actually using Mullvad VPN in the same way.

An OpenVPN solution you create yourself is a full server to client VPN vs using any of the public VPN solutions which only hides/encrypts the VPN for a partial amount as it drops on your the public Internet.  Essentially only half of the connection runs over the VPN.

They have different purposes.

Mullvad’s allows port forwarding which is not possible with ExpressVPN and NordVPN as far as I know.

Another suggestion for this is if you have a Synology that supports Virtual Machines. One vDSM license is already included. You can install vDSM and have that always connected to the VPN provider, while your DSM is running as usual (not connected to the VPN provider). Dloaded files (e.g. download station) can be done with mounted folders on vDSM that take them to the main DSM instance where you have Emby running. You can run Synology’s VPN Server on the main instance too if you want.

I’ve been using this for a long time now and it’s very convenient. 

liamsoren

You're wrong in this case tho. You can set up port forwarding manually to access devices on router. I found this while reading a review about expressvpn yesterday.

Steps:

1.You need to sign up to ExpressVPN router dashboard
2. Select advanced settings
3. Choose Software Update for downloading the latest version of the VPN.
4. Then find "Post Forwarding" option and enter there specific details (you can find guides on the official website of ExpressVPN).

Edited by liamsoren

1 hour ago, liamsoren said:

You're wrong in this case tho. You can set up port forwarding manually to access devices on router. I found this while reading a review about expressvpn yesterday.

Looks like I must install their own router firmware on a "recommended router" to be able to port-forward on their VPN. Is that right?