Direct play, Stream or Transcode Icon in OSD

heciruam

heciruam

Hello,

I would like to have an Icon in the OSD (on client apps that have it), that indicates the playback of the current item as "Direct Play", "Direct Stream" or "Transcode".

Why have this when there is "Stats for nerds"? Well I use a wide variety of clients and it's sometmes hard to predict what item is going to be supported so I always check. Going into "stats for nerds" gets tiresome if you do it often since it's so many clicks, so having this icon would show this little information right away.

Maybe a number behind that icon that indicates the stream bitrate could be added as well so it says "Transcode 8" for 8 mbits or "Direct Play 52" for 52 mbits and so on. I could understand if someone could feel this would become too cluttered so I'd be fine with just the Icon.

Cheers.

Edited by heciruam
  • Like 3

Happy2Play
9 hours ago, heciruam said:

Going into "stats for nerds" gets tiresome if you do it often since it's so many clicks

But there are long click option to bring this up instead of navigating menu options to open it.  I know the Roku is hold "OK" button.  I am not positive of Android option.  But most client have this but will be different on every client.

heciruam
22 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

But there are long click option to bring this up instead of navigating menu options to open it.  I know the Roku is hold "OK" button.  I am not positive of Android option.  But most client have this but will be different on every client.

I guess that could do it. I'd still prefer an icon or a pop up at the beginning of playback.

seanbuff
On 17/01/2021 at 00:00, heciruam said:

I would like to have an Icon in the OSD (on client apps that have it), that indicates the playback of the current item as "Direct Play", "Direct Stream" or "Transcode"

if you enable the debug option in the Android TV app, this indicator is already shown on the OSD. However the requirement of that option may no longer be required soon.