Microsoft Edge Playback Issues Making Everything Unwatchable

Recently in Microsoft Edge (the one based on Chrome), everything I play has a weird issue where it seems like every frame is being duplicated causing a stuttering effect.

I'm don't think my description is that good so please see the attached screen record (video only).

Sound plays back fine and its direct playing the video.

The weird thing is that in Chrome there are no issues even through Edge and Chrome are essentially the same browsers.

I'm using the latest version of emby server for Synology and my Edge version is Version 87.0.664.75 (Official build) (64-bit)

Edited by oxhey
updated video evidence
Luke

Hi, that's too bad. Given that it's direct playing, there isn't much we can do about it. The difference between Edge and Chrome is that Edge supports ac3 and hevc if your hardware supports decoding hevc.

What you could do for this video is lower the in-app quality setting to force a full transcode, although make sure to set it back afterwards so that it's not applied to everything you play.

Luke
11 hours ago, oxhey said:

But it had been working fine up until a week or so ago?

Again it's a problem with the browser video player, or perhaps something environmental on your machine that might be affecting the browser video player.  Normally we can detect these problems and automatically switch to server transcoding, but the browser video player isn't actually raising an error, it's just stuttering, so that's a tough one.

It's almost definitely a browser issue and not my pc.  I've tried 3 different PC's in the house as well as an external pc, all have the same result.

Luke

Ok well the reason why it works in Chrome is because it doesn't support hevc so it's relying on server transcoding.

• 2 weeks later...
RanmaCanada

I can confirm that this is isolated to Edge.  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/hevc-main-10-video-playback-is-heavily-stuttering/m-p/1959752

The jellyfin community has the same issue https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-web/issues/2180 so this has nothing to do with Emby and there is no way that the dev team can fix this.  This is all in Microsoft's hands, so expect it to be broken for quite some time.