Microsoft Edge Playback Issues Making Everything Unwatchable

oxhey

Recently in Microsoft Edge (the one based on Chrome), everything I play has a weird issue where it seems like every frame is being duplicated causing a stuttering effect.

I'm don't think my description is that good so please see the attached screen record (video only).

Sound plays back fine and its direct playing the video.

The weird thing is that in Chrome there are no issues even through Edge and Chrome are essentially the same browsers.

I'm using the latest version of emby server for Synology and my Edge version is Version 87.0.664.75 (Official build) (64-bit)

Edited by oxhey
updated video evidence

Hi, that's too bad. Given that it's direct playing, there isn't much we can do about it. The difference between Edge and Chrome is that Edge supports ac3 and hevc if your hardware supports decoding hevc.

What you could do for this video is lower the in-app quality setting to force a full transcode, although make sure to set it back afterwards so that it's not applied to everything you play.

11 hours ago, oxhey said:

But it had been working fine up until a week or so ago?

Again it's a problem with the browser video player, or perhaps something environmental on your machine that might be affecting the browser video player.  Normally we can detect these problems and automatically switch to server transcoding, but the browser video player isn't actually raising an error, it's just stuttering, so that's a tough one.

It's almost definitely a browser issue and not my pc.  I've tried 3 different PC's in the house as well as an external pc, all have the same result.

Ok well the reason why it works in Chrome is because it doesn't support hevc so it's relying on server transcoding.

• 2 weeks later...
RanmaCanada

I can confirm that this is isolated to Edge.  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/hevc-main-10-video-playback-is-heavily-stuttering/m-p/1959752

The jellyfin community has the same issue https://github.com/jellyfin/jellyfin-web/issues/2180 so this has nothing to do with Emby and there is no way that the dev team can fix this.  This is all in Microsoft's hands, so expect it to be broken for quite some time.

• 5 months later...
kurtgschumacher

My server just started stuttering on Edge last night so I did a bit of research and found a fix.

1. Click the three dots in the upper right of the screen, then select "Settings".
  2. Select "System" towards the bottom of the left sidebar
  3. Turn off "Use hardware acceleration when available"
  4. Restart Edge

No more stuttering. I wondered if Edge was getting confused with Emby also using hardware acceleration, so I turned it back on in Edge and off in Emby. Edge was still c-c-c-onf-f-fused.

Hi, Were you using Edge on the same computer running Emby Server?

If so that could possibly cause a hardware conflict with 2 pieces of software trying to use the same hardware at the same time.

If you use Edge or other browser on another computer not running Emby Server you shouldn't have this issue.

kurtgschumacher

Emby is running on a Synology NAS. Per the previous entries in this thread, There are problems running Emby on Edge... enough so that I found the solution (it's a workaround, really) on a couple of sites.

5 hours ago, kurtgschumacher said:

Emby is running on a Synology NAS. Per the previous entries in this thread, There are problems running Emby on Edge... enough so that I found the solution (it's a workaround, really) on a couple of sites.

Yea hopefully this gets resolved via browser update so that you don't have to turn off hardware acceleration anymore.

• Like 1

kurtgschumacher

Browsers are tricky because they slipstream updates, so you don't know when an update happens or what has changed. You just notice that Emby is stuttering today, when it wasn't yesterday. That's why I have Edge, Chrome, and Firefox installed. If an app starts behaving badly I'll try it on all three to make sure it's not a browser issue. I used to use the Brave (Chromium based) browser, but it has a LOT of problems with web forms.

So far I haven't noticed any performance hit on Edge with acceleration turned off, and it's easy enough to use Chrome for Emby.

it's easy enough to use Chrome for Emby

Indeed. Chrome just doesn't have the built-in hevc or ac3 support, so if you're on Windows, that's what makes Edge very desirable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
Essjay10

I'm having the same problem as OP except the browsers are reversed.

1. Chromium is direct playing the x265 HEVC and it stutters just like the OP's video. I turned off hardware acceleration and it didn't help. Version is 92.0.4515.107 64-bit

2. Edge is playing the x265 HEVC normally (Server is transcoding) Version 92.0.902.62 64-bit

3. Firefox is playing the x265 HEVC normally (Server is transcoding) Version is 90.0.2

Just now, Kewjoe said:

I'm having the same problem as OP except the browsers are reversed.

1. Chromium is direct playing the x265 HEVC and it stutters just like the OP's video. I turned off hardware acceleration and it didn't help. Version is 92.0.4515.107 64-bit

2. Edge is playing the x265 HEVC normally (Server is transcoding) Version 92.0.902.62 64-bit

3. Firefox is playing the x265 HEVC normally (Server is transcoding) Version is 90.0.2

Hi there, let's look at an example:

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, Kewjoe said:

I turned off hardware acceleration and it didn't help.

Did you restart the browser upon turning off HA? 

Essjay10
26 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Did you restart the browser upon turning off HA? 

Yes I did. I have a pending reboot for an update, i'll try that too. Maybe the process didn't completely close. 

Edit: Confirmed after reboot. Setting is off and it still stutters and doesn't transcode.

Edited by Kewjoe

Essjay10
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example:

Thanks.

Here are my logs. I ran all 3 browsers at the same time around 9:40ish?.  I cleaned up the first 9 or so hours of the log. let me know if that was a mistake and you need the whole thing. I also sanitized it. 

Edit: Deleted logs as issue is related to modified browser I'm using and not an Emby issue.

Edited by Kewjoe

GrimReaper

Upon rereading your posts, I'm a bit confused - what are you referring to as Chromium? One of the Chromium test builds or Chrome? Are you using a modified version of Chromium, like https://www.programmersought.com/article/99133664178/? And if Chrome - which doesn't natively support HEVC playback AFAIK, some read here:   https://streaminglearningcenter.com/codecs/google-adding-hevc-playback-to-chrome-seems-like-a-longshot.html - are you using some Add-on based on libde265, like https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h265-hevc-player/dambgipgbnhmnkdolkljibpcbocimnpd? Else I don't get how do you have HA option in either case. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Typos
  • Thanks 1

Essjay10
50 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Upon rereading your posts, I'm a bit confused - what are you referring to as Chromium? One of the Chromium test builds or Chrome? Are you using a modified version of Chromium, like https://www.programmersought.com/article/99133664178/? And if Chrome - which doesn't natively support HEVC playback AFAIK, some read here:   https://streaminglearningcenter.com/codecs/google-adding-hevc-playback-to-chrome-seems-like-a-longshot.html - are you using some Add-on based on libde265, like https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h265-hevc-player/dambgipgbnhmnkdolkljibpcbocimnpd? Else I don't get how do you have HA option in either case. 

Good call. I'm using an ungoogled modified chromium. I just checked and it looks like they add their own x265 HEVC codecs. Disregard my issue, looks like it's isolated to this particular version of Chrome.

Thanks @GrimReaper76 ! I don't even watch using this browser, I just wanted to ensure my family who uses Chrome wouldn't run into issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Smuggnat

Just a heads up regarding this issue. I was able to find a fix that works for the time being by downgrading the HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer version to 1.0.31823.

This restores proper playback of HEVC content in Edge. Turn hardware acceleration back on if you disable it, it is required to play HEVC files. 

I found this information from this post. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/hevc-main-10-video-playback-is-heavily-stuttering/m-p/2443434/highlight/true#M48090

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
rooser11
On 9/21/2021 at 12:41 PM, Smuggnat said:

Just a heads up regarding this issue. I was able to find a fix that works for the time being by downgrading the HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer version to 1.0.31823.

This restores proper playback of HEVC content in Edge. Turn hardware acceleration back on if you disable it, it is required to play HEVC files. 

I found this information from this post. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/hevc-main-10-video-playback-is-heavily-stuttering/m-p/2443434/highlight/true#M48090

thanks looks like hdr to sdr tonemapping does not really work well, if at all.  also, i keep getting loading circle when i play hevc files and that does not disappear even after the video is loaded.  no overlay control menu shows up either when this happens.  thanks though.  i guess i will stick to mpv for now.

6 hours ago, rooser11 said:

thanks looks like hdr to sdr tonemapping does not really work well, if at all.  also, i keep getting loading circle when i play hevc files and that does not disappear even after the video is loaded.  no overlay control menu shows up either when this happens.  thanks though.  i guess i will stick to mpv for now.

The browser doesn't tone map by itself, it's only when emby server is transcoding the content.

rooser11
5 hours ago, Luke said:

The browser doesn't tone map by itself, it's only when emby server is transcoding the content.

Thanks for confirming.  Looks like web version has issues with embedded subtitles anyway, and so I will stick to a dedicated video player instead.  Thanks!!

13 minutes ago, rooser11 said:

Thanks for confirming.  Looks like web version has issues with embedded subtitles anyway, and so I will stick to a dedicated video player instead.  Thanks!!

@rooser11 the web app does not have any issues with embedded subtitles.  Please see 

Thanks.