Emby 4k

Stefano1982
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Stefano1982

Hello,
    i noticed that both using emby server windows and emby server on nas / openmediavault, if i tried to play a movie in 1080 with any browser and with the emby app for android, there is no problem and it works great, while if i tried to play, both with any browser and with the Android APP a movie in 4k, this cannot be played even through wired LAN in Gygabit. The movie continues buffering even if you turn on transcoding at 720p at 1mbit / s
However, if you used Kodi with the Emby addon, there are no problems at the maximum resolution.

Do you know why about this bug? Would it be possible to correct it?

Thanks.

Greetings.

Hi, most likely the network is just not keeping up with the high bitrate of the content, but can we please look at an example?

Thanks.

Stefano1982

Hi Luke no, the network certainly has nothing to do with it because the same thing happens to my friends and I read on the forum that the same goes for other people Furthermore it cannot be the network because the exact same movie has no problems either with VLC directed to the file on the nas, nor to Kodi in smb and also in NFS which always points to the same file on the nas. Finally the same Kodi with the Emby addon which points in this case not only to the same file on the nas but even to the same file always on the nas but inside the emby server library and even in this case the film does not go in buffering From these tests it is clear that it is the emby client app that has problems with the 4k hevc Now I also tried with Emby TV demo version for firestick 4k connected with UTP cable and I have the same buffering problem I think it's a problem that everyone has this because I see that everyone talking about 4k hevc with emby is talking about buffering problems but the same file always on the net it has no problems (the major example is Kodi with emby addon which does not even point only to the file on the network but to the library file created by the emby server itself.Thanks for the attention Hello

There is not a known buffer issue in Emby and Emby clients can play back 4K media just fine.

What can happen is people leave the client set to AUTO bandwidth and the 4K media is to big to fit the bandwidth it chooses so it has the server transcode which can cause the issue if the system isn't fast enough.

The first thing to check would be while playing back.  Click the COG icon and then the Stats for Nerds option.  This will bring up info on the video while it's playing.

Does it tell you it's DIRECT PLAYING (this would be apples to apples with VNC or KODI) or direct streaming?  Or does it say transcoding?

If transcoding and it's because you EXCEEDED the bandwidth go to settings, playback option and manually set it higher.

kevinofoz

Just to add a bit of bit of information on my situation. On my Android, it does say direct play.

On Chrome, it says that it is transcoding because both the video and audio codecs are unsupported.

On Safari, it says that it is transcoding just because the audio codec is not supported.

I get the fact that Emby has to do a lot more work when transcoding, but I would expect that video transcoding would still work reasonably well.

I also tried to boost the speed of the transcoding, but that didn't seem to have any effect either

On the player, I did try to manually boost the playback speed and it didn't have any noticeable effect.

When it is transcoding, I do notice that the network on the NAS spikes, but only up to about 4-6 MBps, well within my capabalities. On Android, there is no such spike.

If this is 4K media it might be to much for your hardware to transcode this in real time.

Let's start with this.

When it direct plays do you see any issues or does this work well?

Can you play back something that causes transcoding and upload the ffmpeg log file it generates?

Stefano1982

Hi cayars,

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate it 😊

Always keep in mind that Kodi with Emby addon haven't problem and not only points to the same Emby APP Client to the same file but even to the same Emby Server I haven't seen the log yet whether direct or otherwise  but I can tell you that if I activate the transcoding on files in full HD and dts at 720mbit / s I have no problem and I have no problems even if I leave it in the auto mode and therefore without any transcoding

I also noticed that if the films are 4k hevc movies I have problems otherwise if they are 4k with codec 264 there are no problems

As an Emby Server I tried both on NAS and with Emby Server on Windows I7 PC with Nvidia and i have the same problem.

In my opinion this problem afflicts to all the Emby because I have heard other people and they all have the same problem.In private if you want I will pass you the link where you can take a sample movie (just one as an example because with all the 4k hevc does the same behavior) and I'm pretty sure that you too will have the same problem

Thanks again for the support 

Bye

5 hours ago, Stefano1982 said:

As an Emby Server I tried both on NAS and with Emby Server on Windows I7 PC with Nvidia and i have the same problem.

In my opinion this problem afflicts to all the Emby because I have heard other people and they all have the same problem.In private if you want I will pass you the link where you can take a sample movie (just one as an example because with all the 4k hevc does the same behavior) and I'm pretty sure that you too will have the same problem

Thanks again for the support 

Bye

What is your current setup NAS or PC (or do you have both installed)? IMHO the i7 with Nvidia GPU assuming it's newish would be perfect and should have no trouble with HEVC transcoding.

Can we take a look at a specific example on the PC first, then come back to NAS?

Please try and play back one of these problem HEVC files, then post the ffmpeg log that is generated (can get it from the LOGS menu). We'll later do the same for the NAS.

rbjtech

A quick read of this thread points me to believe the issue is not network related, but client capability related.

Emby for Kodi is effectively using Kodi as the client - which we all know can play pretty much anything - all emby is doing is passing it the data.  Many of the emby clients can play these direct streams as well - Android, Roku etc.

However - A web browser  is very restricted - and cannot play HEVC for starters and is also very limited on Audio codec as well.   It cannot be compared to Kodi, VLC or any other 'Fat' Client (incl Emby Fat Clients).  To play the vast majority of 4K 'non-web based' content in a browser - it will need emby to transcode it first - which, depending on your hardware, may not be up to the job.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Stefano1982

Hi everyone I did another thousand tests and I understood 100% what the problem is ...If I start the same 4k hevc movie from the same Emby Server on the pure android client emby for mobile phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro) it works fine If I boot it from Emby TV on Firestick 4k 32-bit version it buffers On the same Firestick 4k 32bit with Kodi and the Emby addon the 4k hevc movie works great Now to understand is: Is this a problem with the firestick 4k 32bit? If so, why does it work well with the Kodi Emby addon?Is this a problem with Emby TV?To try to circumscribe and define the problem 100% I ask you if it was possible to install on the firestick not emby TV but the same emby android that I have on my mobile.Waiting for your response, I will also try to install VLC and have Emby TV start playing the movie from VLC as an external player Thanks for your attention but I repeat that I am quite sure that if I have this problem everyone has this problem so it is to Thanks for your attention but I repeat that I am quite sure that if I have this problem everyone has this problem so it is to understand what to take blame in order to solve the problem permanently for everyone.Thank you very much for your support.

Edited by Stefano1982

4 minutes ago, Stefano1982 said:

Hi everyone I did another thousand tests and I understood 100% what the problem is ...If I start the same 4k hevc movie from the same Emby Server on the pure android client emby for mobile phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro) it works fine If I boot it from Emby TV on Firestick 4k 32-bit version it buffers On the same Firestick 4k 32bit with Kodi and the Emby addon the 4k hevc movie works great Now to understand is: IS

Is the item needing to transcode in order to play on the Fire?

Stefano1982
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Sorry ebr buy I hadn't finished writing yet and by mistake I started sending the incomplete post. Read it again now that I'm done. Thanks.

Stefano1982
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

I have tried both in direct and by activating the transcoding and the problem with the emby TV app on the firestick 4k 32bit is always there. The same movie on the same Firestick 4k 32bit with Kodi Emby addon there is neither in direct nor in transcoding. He always works great. For this reason either it is an Emby TV problem in general or it is an Emby TV problem on Firestick 4k 32 bit because on the firestick 4k 32 bit Kodi Emby addon works fine I will try with VLC set as external player on emby TV and already so if it goes I will be sure that the problem is the emby TV app on Firestick 4b 32 bit. As soon as I can I will let you know.However, would it be possible to install Emby Android mobile version on Firestick 4k in order to do this test too?Thanks.

Bye

Can we stick to ONE and ONLY one device and movie/show to start with in diagnosing this?  We can't be all over the place because it's confusing to follow.

Play back this media on the firestick and launch Stats for Nerds during playback using the cog icon.  Does it say direct play, direct streaming of Transcoding?

If not direct play there will be an ffmpeg log file generated for this playback.

We NEED you to UPLOAD that file here.

Stefano1982
16 hours ago, cayars said:

Can we stick to ONE and ONLY one device and movie/show to start with in diagnosing this?  We can't be all over the place because it's confusing to follow.

Play back this media on the firestick and launch Stats for Nerds during playback using the cog icon.  Does it say direct play, direct streaming of Transcoding?

If not direct play there will be an ffmpeg log file generated for this playback.

We NEED you to UPLOAD that file here.

Hi cayars

thanks again for the help.Although I have in the general settings automatic quality without transcoding the movie I reproduce it in transcoding HLS codec 264 even if it tells me that the source codec is hevc 265

How do I extract the log considering I'm on the Emby TV app for Firestick 4k?

Looking at the same statistics on Emby Android Mobile from my mobile phone, always for the same movie in the same emby Server, I noticed instead that it tells me direct play and in fact on my cell phone it does not buffering If you need the log, please let me know how to extract it

My personal conclusion: I think there is a bug in the emby client app associated with the firestick 4k 32 bit hardware (the 64 bit version I don't know if it could have the same bug) because the same movie always with Android system on my mobile phone does not buffering and the statistics show that it is rightly in direct play and also because on the same hardware firestick 4k 32 bit, the same movie seen with Kodi and the Emby addon, works as well as on the mobile with emby in direct play. Rightly no hardware could be able to do not only the quality transcoding but even the code transforming it (we don't know why) from h265 to h264. That would be too hard a task for any hardware.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Stefano1982

22 hours ago, Stefano1982 said:

Sorry ebr buy I hadn't finished writing yet and by mistake I started sending the incomplete post. Read it again now that I'm done. Thanks.

I still have the same question.

My guess is this is simply the fact that the Fire app is needing to transcode and your server is not powerful enough to do that in real time.  But we need to see the logs to be able to confirm that.

5 hours ago, Stefano1982 said:

Hi cayars

thanks again for the help.Although I have in the general settings automatic quality without transcoding the movie I reproduce it in transcoding HLS codec 264 even if it tells me that the source codec is hevc 265

How do I extract the log considering I'm on the Emby TV app for Firestick 4k?

Looking at the same statistics on Emby Android Mobile from my mobile phone, always for the same movie in the same emby Server, I noticed instead that it tells me direct play and in fact on my cell phone it does not buffering If you need the log, please let me know how to extract it

My personal conclusion: I think there is a bug in the emby client app associated with the firestick 4k 32 bit hardware (the 64 bit version I don't know if it could have the same bug) because the same movie always with Android system on my mobile phone does not buffering and the statistics show that it is rightly in direct play and also because on the same hardware firestick 4k 32 bit, the same movie seen with Kodi and the Emby addon, works as well as on the mobile with emby in direct play. Rightly no hardware could be able to do not only the quality transcoding but even the code transforming it (we don't know why) from h265 to h264. That would be too hard a task for any hardware.

Thanks for your help.

Play it back on the Firestick then login to your Web Dashboard for the server.  Click the LOGS menu.  On the right side will be a server log and an ffmpeg file if it didn't play.

Upload the server log and ffmpeg here.  There is a button to the right of each entry that will let you download the logs in the web UI.

poormanshummer

I'm having a similar issue using Emby Theater as the client. 4k files direct play with VLC fine. You mentioned the problem could  be leaving the network setting in auto. What setting do we use to get emby to direct play?

10 minutes ago, poormanhummer said:

I'm having a similar issue using Emby Theater as the client. 4k files direct play with VLC fine. You mentioned the problem could  be leaving the network setting in auto. What setting do we use to get emby to direct play?

Depends why it's transcoding.  What does Stats for Nerds or the log show as the reason?

poormanshummer

I noticed that when playing 4k through emby the GPU is at 100%. Playing the file through VLC has the GPU at around 30% to 40%. 

Stefano1982
2 hours ago, cayars said:

Play it back on the Firestick then login to your Web Dashboard for the server.  Click the LOGS menu.  On the right side will be a server log and an ffmpeg file if it didn't play.

Upload the server log and ffmpeg here.  There is a button to the right of each entry that will let you download the logs in the web UI.

Thanks

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-7f4f6a12-e798-4f54-aeda-c5d8126e2159_1.txt

40 minutes ago, poormanhummer said:

I noticed that when playing 4k through emby the GPU is at 100%. Playing the file through VLC has the GPU at around 30% to 40%. FFM log included as well.

ffmpeg-transcode-e3d768c6-e988-4342-adc6-9d23b84c1bbe_1.txt 115.97 kB · 0 downloads

This is clear looking at this log your system is only converting at about 35% of the minimum speed needed for files of this size. So if you can't direct play the 4K media you need a 1080 version as well.  This is actually the preferred method many people do.

Edited by cayars