"Emby Guide Data" or alternative for non-US/UK users???

frabe8378910

frabe8378910

Hello xxxx

It is come to our attention that some Emby users such as yourself are still
using the Schedules Direct data service, despite being told by Emby two
years ago they would need to move off.

As you probably know, Schedules Direct is licensed by Gracenote to provide
data to only non-commercial (hobbyist) applications.  Two years ago, Emby
decided to go commercial with the release of Emby Premier.  We wish them
well in their new endeavor, but unfortunately, SD cannot feed data to their
application.  Emby notified their users and we gave them time to migrate to
their own Gracenote feed.  We didn't realize that some people continued to use
data from us.

On June 1, 2021 we will block the Emby application from the SD-JSON service.

If you signed up within the past two years, (and missed Emby's notice) you must
have ignored a notice on our signup page that stated (in larger, bold print)

ATTENTION: These products have been known to recommend Schedules Direct
                as a data source but are not permitted to use SD.

You can't say we didn't warn you.  We could shut things off immediately, but
since only Emby notified people before, we wanted to give a little more time.

The predecessor to Schedules Direct (zap2it labs) was shut down partially due
to abuse by commercial products.  We don't want the same thing to happen to
us. Hobbyist applications have no where else to go.  Please respect the
restrictions placed upon us by the copyright holder.

FYI, even using data obtained by us in an unapproved application via XMLTV
violates those terms.

Schedules Direct
http://www.schedulesdirect.org/
admin@schedulesdirect.org

What are acceptable options for any emby premium users using emby as their main TV recorder?
Being an emby premium user for some years I'd really dislike the idea to look for alternate solutions, but SD so far was the only useful solutions for non-US/UK or European users.
Any time schedule for having an Emby Guida Data in general?
Thanks in advance

Spaceboy

you can continue to use SD as long as you bring in the data through xmltv. thats what i do and SD cannot tell its being used in emby. i do this because i prefer to create a curated m3u and perfectly matching epg data in xteve before supplying to emby. its just much much easier to do the epg matching in xteve than emby too

• Like 1

simonselmer
7 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

you can continue to use SD as long as you bring in the data through xmltv. thats what i do and SD cannot tell its being used in emby. i do this because i prefer to create a curated m3u and perfectly matching epg data in xteve before supplying to emby. its just much much easier to do the epg matching in xteve than emby too

Hi

I understood almost nothing of what you wrote there, but I'm very curious, as I'm now also looking for alternatives to SD->Emby.

Could be so kind a describe a bit more what you / how you do that? Which steps you take in the process, how is it updated on daily basis...

I have previous read about those m3u files bit never understood what they were for or how to use them.

Thank you very much in advance

Just in case Emby does plan on implementing this for all non-US/UK countries, and the initiater of the post wrote.

This would be the prefered way of course, and also a bit expected at this point, as we have been paying for this Live TV feature for some time now.

• Thanks 1

Spaceboy

epg123 pulls down data from SD daily

xteve sucks in:

1) m3u from local tv tuner

2) m3u from iptv provider

3) xmltv file from epg123

use xteve to choose channels from m3u, re-order, re-number etc

use xteve to match channels to epg

xteve creates a perfectly matching m3u and xmltv file

add these to emby

job done

• Thanks 1

simonselmer

You need to run epg123 and xteve ocally on a windows server right?

I'm running Emby server on Synology. So any way to do this setup, without having to set up a windows server, just to run guide data?

frabe8378910
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

Still being a not correct usage, even if difficult/impossible to detect ... 😉

1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

epg123 pulls down data from SD daily

xteve sucks in:

1) m3u from local tv tuner

2) m3u from iptv provider

3) xmltv file from epg123

use xteve to choose channels from m3u, re-order, re-number etc

use xteve to match channels to epg

xteve creates a perfectly matching m3u and xmltv file

add these to emby

job done

Thanks for the description.
Might have to check that out soon ... even if it requires some work. I have two Debian server with tvheadend (one dual satellite tuner card each) and Emby 4.6.0.10 running stable and had no plans to change things. 😬

frabe8378910
12 minutes ago, simonselmer said:

I'm running Emby server on Synology. So any way to do this setup, without having to set up a windows server, just to run guide data?

Arrrg, thought epg123 is for Linux too!

But there are XMLTV for Linux, I've run that in the past. Not so comfortable, but should to the job.
xteve is luckily for Linux too.

Edited by ebr
language policy

Spaceboy

4 minutes ago, frabe8378910 said:

Still being a not correct usage, even if difficult/impossible to detect ... 😉

:) oh yes, i forgot. we are all 1000% compliant with laws and licences in the media center world arent we ;)

personally, when the next gen live tv function is released i will move to emby guide data (its free, why not), just at the moment setting it up if you do not use a hd homerun is excruciatingly difficult and not very robust.

Edited by Spaceboy

Spaceboy
Just now, frabe8378910 said:

Arrrg, thought epg123 is for Linux too - fuck!

But there are XMLTV for Linux, I've run that in the past. Not so comfortable, but should to the job.
xteve is luckily for Linux too.

12 minutes ago, simonselmer said:

yep xteve runs in docker but not epg123 unfortunately. but other options exist i believe

frabe8378910
15 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

:) oh yes, i forgot. we are all 1000% compliant with laws and licences in the media center world arent we ;)

personally, when the next gen live tv function is released i will move to emby guide data (its free, why not), just at the moment setting it up if you do not use a hd homerun is excruciatingly difficult and not very robust.

What do you mean by "next gen live tv function", is this something in emby?
And will emby guide data then be available for i.e. Europe?

Spaceboy
10 minutes ago, frabe8378910 said:

What do you mean by "next gen live tv function", is this something in emby?

trying to find you a post. its been discussed in some detail on the forum and is in limited beta testing at present.

no, i don't think that will change

probably easiest https://emby.media/community/index.php?/search/&q="next gen"&quick=1 look for posts by cayars

Edited by Spaceboy

It's basically a new version of live TV that will replace the current offering in Emby.

It's a ground up rewrite of Live TV that has lots of new features and much improved performance.
It's still in development but getting close. It's currently in private testing being done in stages as each new part is released to testing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Psyborg
On 1/15/2021 at 4:29 PM, frabe8378910 said:

Regarding guide data: Please see this thread... 

bcm00re
On 1/15/2021 at 12:29 PM, cayars said:

It's basically a new version of live TV that will replace the current offering in Emby.

It's a ground up rewrite of Live TV that has lots of new features and much improved performance.
It's still in development but getting close. It's currently in private testing being done in stages as each new part is released to testing.

Glad to hear that Live TV is getting an overhaul.  It has been rather quirky for me the past several months.

I just discovered that Emby provides guide data.  I had been using zap2xml to get the data from TVguide for several years now, but this week it started having issues and my guide data only ran thru Friday evening.  Last night while trying to fix that, I found that Emby provides guide data -- wonder how long they have been doing that?  The one downside to switching is that it appears I have to redo all my series recordings.  :( Also the Emby guide is listing some phantom channels so I have to determine how to get them out of the guide too.

Edited by bcm00re

You can have 1000 channels in the GUIDE but if you only have 250 channels that's all that will show up.  It's the tuner channels that matter for what shows.

Emby has provided guide data for a few years now so you may have just got zap2xml working when Emby introduced it. :)

You'll like Emby data so much more.  Yes you will have to setup series recordings again as the new guide will have different IDs.