Will Emby Guide Data become available for Denmark?

simonselmer

simonselmer

Hi

As Schedule Direct dont want us using their service shortly, will Emby make it's own Guide Data available for Denmark and many other european contries?

Regards Simon

• Like 1

Hi.  We would like to but we have to figure out how it can be done in a sustainable fashion.  This data is very expensive for us and we may end up in a situation of needing to pass that cost on but we're not sure yet.

Thanks

simonselmer

As I'm already paying SD for a SD account, I might as well give those money to Emby for a kind of Premiere+ subscription which would include the TV data guide out of the box :)

• Thanks 1

ttgapers

I got the note from SD this morning also. I am a Premiere Lifetime but it would be hard to pull extra $$$ out to get one channel's guide data outside of Emby. For now I'll move to xmltv/webgrabplus (donation based) that works with Schedule's Direct still.

@ebr I think a better solution that another costs to users might be a better approach, although I am not 100% versed on the complications to that sustainable fashion you mention.

The note SD sent implies they are blocking Emby once it got closed sourced (non-hobbyist)  :(

Keep up the good work nevertheless...this is affecting a few Caribbean channels.

ttgapers
30 minutes ago, simonselmer said:

As I'm already paying SD for a SD account, I might as well give those money to Emby for a kind of Premiere+ subscription which would include the TV data guide out of the box :)

Honestly, I'd love to discontinue SD, as I am paying that subscription fee for two channels!!! Already have a lifetime Premiere here :)

ChannelsDVR is $80 a year or $8 a month with no lifetime option and doesn't do nearly what Emby does. Even though I get Emby epg for free right now I wouldn't mind if there was a nominal monthly fee for it via Emby. I look at it this way, before I moved I fed 11 TV's LiveTV through $50 MiBox s' AndroidTV devices but didn't have to pay $7.99 a month for each of 11 STB's and another $40 a month for DVR fees, aka "DVR tax", so this saved me a bundle. When we get into our next house I'll be doing it all over again..

Others may not share this opinion and that's okay but I have a lifetime and still pay Emby $4.99 a month because I think it is worth it. 

frabe8378910
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We would like to but we have to figure out how it can be done in a sustainable fashion.  This data is very expensive for us and we may end up in a situation of needing to pass that cost on but we're not sure yet.

Thanks

Please continue to validate this. At least I would not mind to pay some extra bucks for having useful and current "Guide data" for other countries integrated in emby and I believe I won't be the only one. Maybe you can have country packages like germany, denmark, france ...
Everything has its price and as I'm paying for emby consuming their work, I'd do that useful things saving my time. Might not the understanding of everybody ... 😅

Edited by frabe8378910
Enhancement
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Psyborg
On 1/15/2021 at 5:07 PM, frabe8378910 said:

Please continue to validate this. At least I would not mind to pay some extra bucks for having useful and current "Guide data" for other countries integrated in emby and I believe I won't be the only one. Maybe you can have country packages like germany, denmark, france ...
Everything has its price and as I'm paying for emby consuming their work, I'd do that useful things saving my time. Might not the understanding of everybody ... 😅

Absolutely! @ebr and @Luke:
Please make this at least an option. The world is much more than just North America and UK. 

Live TV is a major feature of Emby that distinguishes it from the competition. A simple, direct way to use TV metadata with Emby is a compelling argument for extending it to non-English users around the world. - I know you guys have been thinking about it since the feature was introduced. Now is the perfect point in time!

We'd love to, and hopefully we will be able to. It's just a question of what it will cost us and whether or not there are enough users in any given country to allow us to make up the cost that we have to pay for the guide data. 

• Like 1

Mklitgaard

As a Danish experienced user with SD, half the channels are missing, they are simply not updated, SD might be a good option if you are from UK or US but i have been struggling to setup my server with SD and all Channels, i only had around 50 percent channels with EPG.

I also recieved email from SD, and switched to webgrabplus, and im telling you this is another story, here i have all Channels, i have made a cronjob so my guide updates, every day at  20:00 its working 100 percent with all Channels, i even have jpg pictures in my live tv channels, webgrabplus works for both linux and windows, i would suggest people to use that its awesome.

Psyborg

I used SD for years and still use their service until they shut it down: No problems with German EPG data!

EPG data is basic for me. I just don't want to install another software to do support for, read another bunch of forum threads to learn how to solve sudden problems when the grabbed pages change and so on and so forth.

It just has to work. Maintaining Emby and the underlying hardware and software layer is demanding enough for me.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I hear what you’re saying but epg123 + SD and xteve really has been a set and forget thing for me. It takes a decent time to set up but after that the robustness and function has beaten the emby guide data approach for me

• Like 1

Mklitgaard

Dont get me wrong SD is working very well, it was not a complaint, just a fact that when you need webgrabplus and SD at the same time becaurse SD dint update in my Country,

something is wrong, my guess woulld be that in a Country like Germany with 80 million people up, things will be updated, but in Denmark with fever channels and fever people, the interest might fail.

simonselmer

I switched to epg.best some weeks ago, and I must say I like epg.best much better than SD.

And I especially like epg.best service because I do not need a server to run XML grabber stuff to get the XML feed that Emby needs.
epg.best delivers that directly.

And also it has EPG data for channels I was actually missing from SD.

• Like 3

Spaceboy
13 minutes ago, simonselmer said:

I switched to epg.best some weeks ago, and I must say I like epg.best much better than SD.

And I especially like epg.best service because I do not need a server to run XML grabber stuff to get the XML feed that Emby needs.
epg.best delivers that directly.

And also it has EPG data for channels I was actually missing from SD.

cool, i may take a look as neither emby guide data or SD are fully complete for the UK either

simonselmer

Yes, if Emby cannot cannot provide the EPG data, then I can highly recommend epg.best.

2 things, first you need an m3u file of your current channels. Someone linked a phython script which can extract that from my hdhomerun tuner. I DO NOT code in Phython, so it toke me some hours to get that to work, and also I had to change something to make the script work. 

Second, I found epg.best could be better in guiding you when using it for the first time. So when importing a m3u, it's default setting was something like "import channels, delete from m3u" or similar. I just went with that default, but nothing happened.
I found out  had to change it to ""Get EPG data" or something like that. Just to be aware of.

• Like 2