TomasBrabec

TomasBrabec

Hello, please go somewhere to download Emby server on synology ds218 +. I have a DSM 7, I can't download anywhere that could be tried. thank you very much

2 minutes ago, TomasBrabec said:

Great. Should it go install? Please don't let me know that I don't have permission to apply.

At present most builds seem to work, as fresh installs. We are wating for a new build to test whether you can upgrade an existing DSM 6.2 installation of Emby, keeping all settings, watch status and paths intact (at present you can't). There may also be a few other problems. Give the thread a quick read, it's not too long.

• 6 months later...
Davey's

Hello, before upgarding to DSM 7 (on my Synology DS918+)

How Stable is Emby for DSM7 right now?

edit. after upgrading there is no-way back to a previous version of DSM

Emby Server 4.6.4 or beta 4.7.0.3 both work great on DSM 7 and have been tested for a while so this isn't really that new around here.

DSM7 IMHO is much better than DSM6 but I would check each app you rely on to make sure it's DSM7 functional and doesn't have any issues.

I'm not sure what NASes allow you to create virtual machines but on my 920 I was able to create a virtual machine running DSM6 install Emby then do an upgrade to DSM7 and the DSM7 version of Emby.  I used the VM when I put together the migration video.

In this same way you could install a VM using DSM7 to check any other software you may rely on before committing to the update.

This may be of interest to you as well: 

Davey's

Thanks Cayars,

I watched your video and read the instructions, I'm not (yet) familiar with VM in a DSM environment. (no idea why you would turn on admin and ssh, anyway nevermind :)

I just want to upgrade to DSM 7 (not in a virtual environment) Synology now has a download button to version 7 #control panel: update and restore, I have already downloaded it and it is ready for installation.I also manually removed the current version of Emby

- Can I just install Emby for DSM 7 after the OS is upgraded ?

- Or are there certain settings that need to be changed ?

No, you will need to do a one time migration of Emby Data following the instruction linked to in the post right above yours.

• 3 weeks later...
DuaneCWhite

So my Emby username and password no longer work and I am unable to log into EMby after upgrading to DSM7.   Does the password of the emby user get changed during the migration?

FrostByte
50 minutes ago, DuaneCWhite said:

So my Emby username and password no longer work and I am unable to log into EMby after upgrading to DSM7.   Does the password of the emby user get changed during the migration?

The Emby server userid has changed and is now a system internal user.

However, your users should not have changed if you followed the instructions in the pinned post.

58 minutes ago, DuaneCWhite said:

Hi, did you follow the procedure here?

There is a step by step procedure in the first post you can follow.  There is also a movie you can download that walks through the whole procedure except for the 2 commands you copy/paste into SSH/Putty (that is documented).

So it should be pretty easy to follow if you haven't done this yet.  Just pick up from the point right after upgrading to DSM 7.  Shut down Emby Server and follow the rest of the directions.

If you have any problems, feel free to PM me and we can do a remote session to help you with the migration and upgrade.
It would be out pleasure to help you this way.

Carlo

DuaneCWhite

I followed the instructions and my devices can still access the server and everything works.  I can no longer log into the server from my PC using the stored username 'emby' that I have always used to log in.

DuaneCWhite

OK.  So nevermind.  I was able to add a new user via my iPad and then reset all passwords that way.  All good now.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 1:41 AM, Davey's said:

Thanks Cayars,

I watched your video and read the instructions, I'm not (yet) familiar with VM in a DSM environment. (no idea why you would turn on admin and ssh, anyway nevermind :)

I just want to upgrade to DSM 7 (not in a virtual environment) Synology now has a download button to version 7 #control panel: update and restore, I have already downloaded it and it is ready for installation.I also manually removed the current version of Emby

- Can I just install Emby for DSM 7 after the OS is upgraded ?

- Or are there certain settings that need to be changed ?

Did a remote session today to help with a couple of things and got @Davey's squared away.

• 2 months later...
tcichowicz

I want to upgrade my (2) DS1520+ devices to DSM 7. Both are running Emby Server.

If I don't want to migrate them as stated in this thread, can I just (backup Emby Sever Config with Plugin) uninstall Emby Server from NAS . Upgrade NAS to DSM7 - Then Install fresh Emby Server from new repository - then just do a restore from my OLD Emby install that was on DSM 6.2.4 Update2 ?

That sounds like you're trying to come up with a Migration 2 way of doing this.

What you suggest will not work.  You would only be restoring the config files themselves, users and watched states but none of the actual data.
The migration will copy over the cache, metadata, all device info, logs, etc...

The difference is essentially a copied system vs a new system install starting with known configuration.

What reason do you have for not wanting to follow the migration steps. Regardless you would have to essentially perform all steps except you would differ in what's done in Putty/SSH.  The migration requires 2 command lines in Putty.  You're steps, many more.

What you propose is more complicated and doesn't really migrate any data.

Hope that was clear enough, but if not ask away any questions you might have.