years ago they would need to move off.

As you probably know, Schedules Direct is licensed by Gracenote to provide
data to only non-commercial (hobbyist) applications.  Two years ago, Emby
decided to go commercial with the release of Emby Premier.  We wish them
well in their new endeavor, but unfortunately, SD cannot feed data to their
application.  Emby notified their users and we gave them time to migrate to
their own Gracenote feed.  We didn't realize that some people continued to use
data from us.

On June 1, 2021 we will block the Emby application from the SD-JSON service.

If you signed up within the past two years, (and missed Emby's notice) you must
have ignored a notice on our signup page that stated (in larger, bold print)

ATTENTION: These products have been known to recommend Schedules Direct
                as a data source but are not permitted to use SD.

You can't say we didn't warn you.  We could shut things off immediately, but
since only Emby notified people before, we wanted to give a little more time.

The predecessor to Schedules Direct (zap2it labs) was shut down partially due
to abuse by commercial products.  We don't want the same thing to happen to
us. Hobbyist applications have no where else to go.  Please respect the
restrictions placed upon us by the copyright holder.

FYI, even using data obtained by us in an unapproved application via XMLTV
violates those terms.

Nice right?

• Haha 1

Same here.  As soon as I figure out what gracenote is and subscribe, I'm going to send a nasty reply to match.

P.S.  How *do* I sign up with gracenote?  Their webpage appears to be only for commercial customers.

I didn't know there was a built-in emby guide data provider.  I just activated it and now have both SD and it.  Is there any way to disable SD without deleting it so I can test the built-in?

You'd have to just remove it, but the data comes from the same place as SD so it should be the same.

I've also had the nastygram.  My questions are:

• Did Emby users receive an notification from Emby that Schedules Direct was no longer supported as the SD email suggests?  How was this notification delivered (email / in-app notification)?
  • Schedules Direct claim to clearly warn new subscribers.  For those of us who have subscribed for several years (2016 in my case), was it clear on the renewal form?
  • Have Schedules Direct ever emailed directly before?  I haven't received one to my knowledge and clearly they have the ability to do so.

I'm not holding Emby responsible, just trying to determine how "nasty" my response should be based on whether I missed something that was obvious to others or if this was not as clearly indicated as SD emails suggest.

The email is shockingly aggressive and rude in its tone, not something you would expect from an organisation with a "board".

• Like 1

simonselmer

I just tried.
When I select "Denmark" I only have two options, SD and XmlTV. 
The same goes for several, if not all, european contries I just tested.

So what can I/we do then?

I got the same email.  I don’t recall receiving an email from anyone stating this.  I just renewed my SD in October too!  I didn’t know EMBY had a built-in guide provider or I would have been using that all along.

I guess I’ve been using EMBY for so long that I don’t pay attention to new features/additions.  I set it up and forget about it.  I have it running as a docker in Unraid.

• Like 1

@ecs0set
I have the same questions and had a similar reaction to their email. I don't recall ever being notified to get off of SD by Emby. I renew my subscription annually and never saw any type of warning on the SD web site. I do get annual subscription notification emails from them but that's the only communication I've gotten previously.

• Like 1

Emby announced this on the forum stating eventually the use of Schedules Direct would not be permitted a long time back now. That eventuality is now.

I'm pretty sure this is beong passed through from a notice Schedules Direct has received from Gracenote. Schedules Direct has been pretty cool about it for two or more years so I wouldn't be too upset with them.

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

PA US here 

i got the lovely email as well... i will try to switch to built in emby and see how it goes

I received the same this morning, my question would be. the tvg-id would need to match what exactly ?. Is there any way to know the convention? reason is I use the same jsonid as SDirect in my m3u file, but would that same id work using the emby guide data and have no problem with SD ? 

CBers
31 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Emby announced this on the forum stating eventually the use of Schedules Direct would not be permitted a long time back now. That eventuality is now.

simonselmer

I think we are some folks that only visits forums when we need help. 

So an announcement like this would go under our radar, until we get a "nasty mail" :)

• Like 3

Spaceboy

as posted on another thread

you can continue to use SD as long as you bring in the data through xmltv. thats what i do and SD cannot tell its being used in emby. i do this because i prefer to create a curated m3u and perfectly matching epg data in xteve before supplying to emby. its just much much easier to do the epg matching in xteve than emby too

Same here, Indiana USA. 

Never noticed any warnings about this but my Emby box has been pretty much an appliance for about four years. Long ago I dumped EMC, went with Emby plus SD, paid yearly fee for SD, never thought twice.

Is there a guide somewhere as to how to switch to Embys own data source, which didn't exist when I set this up. I will Google it and explore when I get back to my computer; at an appointment right now.

1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

as posted on another thread

you can continue to use SD as long as you bring in the data through xmltv. thats what i do and SD cannot tell its being used in emby. i do this because i prefer to create a curated m3u and perfectly matching epg data in xteve before supplying to emby. its just much much easier to do the epg matching in xteve than emby too

Hi  I actualy bypass xteve, I've found that xteve slows a little bit my setup. But My question remain the same if my current name convention matches SD so tvg-id -> ***.json.schedulesdirect.org. I know and i've tried to use the Emby Guide instead it does work  with that naming convention but would that somehow make it use SD or I am bypassing it  ? What would be the best naming convention so that i can have auto-mapping using tvg-id   ? My personnal DB does the matching for me.

Hi.  This was made clear by both them and us a while back.  We really should have removed it from our UI by now but just hadn't gotten around to it.

I don't think responding with nasty messages will really help anyone so I would suggest not doing that.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Spaceboy
24 minutes ago, blasta said:

Hi  I actualy bypass xteve, I've found that xteve slows a little bit my setup. But My question remain the same if my current name convention matches SD so tvg-id -> ***.json.schedulesdirect.org. I know and i've tried to use the Emby Guide instead it does work  with that naming convention but would that somehow make it use SD or I am bypassing it  ? What would be the best naming convention so that i can have auto-mapping using tvg-id   ? My personnal DB does the matching for me.

there are different ways to using xteve, if you choose the simplest it can't slow your setup as it plays no part in the streaming process

5 hours ago, simonselmer said:

I just tried.
When I select "Denmark" I only have two options, SD and XmlTV. 
The same goes for several, if not all, european contries I just tested.

So what can I/we do then?

Same here... I'm in Mexico and there is no Emby Data provider available. What would be the options here?