elpoolet
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

elpoolet

Hi Everybody

I looked for it a bit, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find it.

I'm looking for the list of codecs and file formats that each browser can read by DirectPlay and ones causing DirectStream.

I need these because I use Emby at home and I only play my stuff on my TV that support almost everything but not my computer (when I'm in my bed) that plays via browser (Chrome).

Is there someting there that I missed ?

The best solution would be a compatibility matrix like that

Video Codec Sound Codec Playing
x264 MP3 DirectPlay
x264 AAC DirectPlay
x264 DTS DirectStream
x265 all Transcode

Cause, untill now, when I download someting, I re-encode Audio with AAC, and video to x264 to ensure DirectPlay will occur, but is there a better Audio Codec ?

No matter the bandwith here, cause all plays occur via LAN or WiFi...

Many thanks for your answers

Happy2Play

You can use a site like html5test.com.  It isn't that easy to say these codecs work on these browsers as there are system variables that apply to what is actually supported.

elpoolet

Hi @Happy2Play

Thanks for this answer.

I didn't know this site.

So I tested several browsers and computers and I deducted that in order to be able to play everywhere DirectPlay, I need to have my movies in this format

• mkv container
  • x264 VideoCodec (4Mbps if playing remotely) and not more than 8Mbps since no quality difference is noticeable over
  • MP3 codec for stereo audio
  • AAC codec for surround audio
  • SRT subtitles (cause PGS causes transcoding)

If it can help...

And since Emby permits this, If some stuff is get with hevc (x265) codec, I re-encode and keep the 2 versions, in order to play the hevc version on my SmartTV.

For instance, create a directory with the name you want like : "Fanfan la Tulipe - (1952) - [tmdbid=62547]"

Then, move each video file into this directory and name them starting with directory name

• Fanfan la Tulipe - (1952) - [tmdbid=62547] - 480p avi.avi
  • Fanfan la Tulipe - (1952) - [tmdbid=62547] - 480p Colorisé.mkv
  • Fanfan la Tulipe - (1952) - [tmdbid=62547] - 1080i Noir et Blanc.mkv

I hope this message can help somebody ....

• 5 months later...
elpoolet

Hi everybody

I update this topic, cause I tried to use a better codec than MP3 for audio encoding.
I tried "opus" but it seems that with .mkv container it won't direct play, it plays as "Direct stream" with re-encoding audio to MP3.

Is it the same issue as described here : 

Many thanks for your answer.

3 minutes ago, elpoolet said:

Hi everybody

I update this topic, cause I tried to use a better codec than MP3 for audio encoding.
I tried "opus" but it seems that with .mkv container it won't direct play, it plays as "Direct stream" with re-encoding audio to MP3.

Is it the same issue as described here : 

Many thanks for your answer.

Hi, did you explore the stats feature to learn why it was transcoding?

Happy2Play

I still don't quite understand this one but the browser does not support secondary audio.

&VideoCodec=h264&AudioCodec=mp3,aac

&TranscodeReasons=SecondaryAudioNotSupported

Edited by Happy2Play

elpoolet
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I still don't quite understand this one but the browser does not support secondary audio.

&TranscodeReasons=SecondaryAudioNotSupported

It's a bit strange since, for other medias with several sound tracks, if the track is MP3 or AAC, this doesn't occur.

There's effectively a "DirectStream" playback but without transcoding audio....

image.thumb.png.f083e945b2a426b03242c666fd13f434.png

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-directstream-14807c2f-1f67-402e-86a0-b524288c1192_1.txt

elpoolet

And another with 3 audio tracks

image.thumb.png.bed53e36c862f21b28572fd1086d3b65.png

image.thumb.png.7a2f1a46422ad4c043d2e55395f99e0f.png

image.thumb.png.5c4f62a4e56119ce04c634b516e0f2d6.png

It's like if the audio track is the first track and the codec is DirectPlay compatible, it play with the direct method... but, if it's not the first track, a repacking occurs...

Happy2Play

Correct as this states "&TranscodeReasons=SecondaryAudioNotSupported" but a dev will have to explain why the client does not support secondary audio.  @Luke or @cayars if you know.

Because the browser does not support secondary embedded audio tracks, therefore if you want to play that, we have to use a conversion process to make that happen.

elpoolet

@Luke
Thanks for this answer.
I'll encode my medias differently now, as I (very) often play with my computer and listen with handset....

Video Codec : x264
First Audio stream : Opus 2.0 @ 160kbps (french language)
Next audio streams : AAC @ 96 quality index (other languages)
Subtitles : always SRT

I'll test it right now....

• Solution

If you can make the 1st track AAC stereo then you will have a track that can playback on nearly anything audio wise.

Happy2Play

Remux in mkvtoolnix changing track order/changing default track.  Actually this is just a header change.

elpoolet
43 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Remux in mkvtoolnix changing track order/changing default track.  Actually this is just a header change.

For the already encoded medias, yes....
For the new ones... I'll modify my template in StaxRip...

46 minutes ago, cayars said:

If you can make the 1st track AAC stereo then you will have a track that can playback on nearly anything audio wise.

The fact is that Opus is an open codec... And I like OpenSoftwares...
But I think, you're right...

It's hard to find a device or app that won't support AAC tracks but not hard to find devices that won't play Opus without the server transcoding.
So for that reason alone.

More and more devices are supporting opus now, but AAC is still the most widely supported audio codec, along with mp3.

elpoolet
13 hours ago, cayars said:

It's hard to find a device or app that won't support AAC tracks but not hard to find devices that won't play Opus without the server transcoding.
So for that reason alone.

13 hours ago, Luke said:

More and more devices are supporting opus now, but AAC is still the most widely supported audio codec, along with mp3.

Many thanks for these advices.

Since AAC appears to be the most supported codec, I'll keep my settings to use AAC for the main audio track and MP3 for second ones, unless it is possible to change the default codec for audio transcoding from MP3 to AAC or Opus