Usability - Quality of Life Improvements

CathMowr

CathMowr

Hey poeple,

I am sorry if I sum up a couple of things here but all of that stuff feels too little to be its own thread, so I thought hey, the mods will kill me if i open up 10 threads, lets do a big one. Please add your thoughts, leave a + 1,  tell me if i missed something that is already there. Ok ok, you dont have to tell me the last one, i already know. Anyways..

GENERAL

• "Sort by multiple values" - You know that feeling when you want to display your record collection by artist but in the order of release? Yeah. Me too. Or when you want to sort all of your movies by director and release? Anyways, that feature would be a charm.

• "Section view by device" - I use Emby on 4 devices. My phone, a tablet, and 2 desktop PCs. Whenever I switch to my phone I go to my library and set the view of my library to list because it takes ages to get to an artist/movie when scrolling any other view option. And when I hop onto another device I have to switch back because now I have the space to see all those fancy pictures of my media. This becomes quite tedious when using emby frequently, so an option to make the section view stick to the device emby is used on would be an absolute dream.

• "Home Screen by device" - Same thing like the above. I want to see different things on different devices so why make it all one? Please give us the option to have different home screens on different devices.

• "Incorporate Suggestions into home" - I know this comes down to taste, but the option to put parts of the suggestions tab on my home screen would be so aswesome. Why hide "frequently played" in this section, i need this on my home screen! Since latest music shows up in latest media on the home screen this must be a possibility, so why no use it?

• !BONUS ROUND! - "Make subsections customizable" - You want to see frequently played albums? Or songs? Or artists? Dont worry. This feature got you covered because now you can decide which section shows what.

BROWSER

• "Vertical Alphabetical list in every section" - When you open up movies or music some sections have this neat little alphabetical list that lets you jump to any letter in the list that is displayed. Some sections (albums, genres, folders) dont. Why? Dont know. I would be very happy to jump to artist xy and start listening, especially since there is no continue listening function for music.

• "Show always what is played in tab" - I have to be in the playlist section to make the browser tab show what is currently playing  and even then the tab shows just the title, not the artist. Most of the time I select a couple of albums to play while doing something else, so I end up in an overview section where this info does not get displayed. Then I leave to do something else, hear a tune i like, want to have a quick look what it is and emby shows.. Its own name. Sigh.

I hope you people will enjoy my requests and start noticing how much you miss these options in your life. Because after 5 months of emby I really do.

Yours truly,

a very invested emby user

• Like 1

pwhodges
2 hours ago, CathMowr said:

"Show always what is played in tab" - I have to be in the playlist section to make the browser tab show what is currently playing  and even then the tab shows just the title, not the artist. Most of the time I select a couple of albums to play while doing something else, so I end up in an overview section where this info does not get displayed. Then I leave to do something else, hear a tune i like, want to have a quick look what it is and emby shows.. Its own name. Sigh

You can already see what's playing in the browser, but little detail: 

whileplaying.thumb.jpg.97b480c34ccb97490e47b4f02d8a70a5.jpg

When you start playing, click the icon at the right-hand end of the while-playing bar, and you get the while-playing screen:

whileplaying2.thumb.jpg.db65bc8238bb35eae18b1fb2bb0e771e.jpg

Still a bit light on info, for sure, so try the caret at the right-hand bottom, and suddenly more appears:

whileplaying3.thumb.jpg.0e71bdae780c444cb650d2c9994a3511.jpg

(disclaimer - the images are from the current beta, and some things have changed in this area - but the expansion I described is just the same)

Paul

Edited by pwhodges
  • Like 1

seanbuff
5 hours ago, CathMowr said:

"Vertical Alphabetical list in every section" - When you open up movies or music some sections have this neat little alphabetical list that lets you jump to any letter in the list that is displayed. Some sections (albums, genres, folders) dont. Why? Dont know. I would be very happy to jump to artist xy and start listening, especially since there is no continue listening function for music.

Genre's dont, but Album and Folder view definitely have the alphapicker already. It's probably your sort order, it needs to be 'Sort by Title' for this to appear.

• Like 1

CathMowr
2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

You can already see what's playing in the browser, but little detail: 

whileplaying.thumb.jpg.97b480c34ccb97490e47b4f02d8a70a5.jpg

When you start playing, click the icon at the right-hand end of the while-playing bar, and you get the while-playing screen:

whileplaying2.thumb.jpg.db65bc8238bb35eae18b1fb2bb0e771e.jpg

Still a bit light on info, for sure, so try the caret at the right-hand bottom, and suddenly more appears:

whileplaying3.thumb.jpg.0e71bdae780c444cb650d2c9994a3511.jpg

(disclaimer - the images are from the current beta, and some things have changed in this area - but the expansion I described is just the same)

Paul

Thanks, i know that but i literally meant the browser tab on the top of my window. The place where all the other tabs are. The one that in 90 percent of the cases just says Emby.

6 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Genre's dont, but Album and Folder view definitely have the alphapicker already. It's probably your sort order, it needs to be 'Sort by Title' for this to appear.

You are right, I didnt know that. But i see absolutely no reason not to have this in every sort order & section.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, CathMowr said:

You are right, I didnt know that. But i see absolutely no reason not to have this in every sort order & section.

That is the purpose of filters as a alpha picker is useless if no sorted alphabetically.

5 minutes ago, CathMowr said:

Thanks, i know that but i literally meant the browser tab on the top of my window. The place where all the other tabs are. The one that in 90 percent of the cases just says Emby.

How can you do an A-Z jump if the list is sorted by date?

So to answer the question about albumartist, or sorting by any other text field besides title, yes that could be done, it just hasn't been done yet.

CathMowr

That would be great! I hope this and other small things i brought up could enhance the experience for old and new emby users.

I just read my post again and wanted to clarify the bonus round : By subsections i mean sections like “frequently/recently played” or “latest media”.. choosing what exactly they show would be great.

excuse the profanity again, sometimes i swear without noticing.