Need live tv advice in canada

swenth

Do you have broadcast towers near you that you can receive via OTA (over the air) tuners?

Do you have a cable provider who uses cable cards?

If either of these is yes you could likely use a hardware based tuner such as one of the HDHomeRuns. OTA is pretty easy but cable is trickier to find a tuner these days. 

emveepee

Having No Cable Card or Channels DVR options here in Canada the only legal solution for premium cable is going to be an STB in combination with audio/video capture.  I don't know if Emby now or in the future will support IR blasting or other tuning methods but other PVR's do work quite well.

Assuming Emby does offer a tuning mechanism there are lots of options.   Personally I have 3 cable STB hooked up  (they are cheap on kijiji).  The best devices are the Hauppauge HDPVR devices because many of these also capture 5:1 audio but I am not sure if Emby will support them or not.  They aren't too hard to find on kijiji either.   Probably the most flexible devices are the network HDMI grabbers you can get on Amazon for about $100 since they are effectively IPTV streams. 

The cheaper $25 HDMI devices don't record in a PVR friendly format mmjpeg/pcm but if you have transcoding horespower they can be an option. 

I also use s-video in from one of my boxes and I find the SD quality quite acceptable on a PC.  Output and capture in 16x9 gives the best resolution.

Martin

@emveepeeYou didn't mention OTA broadcasts.  How good are OTA broadcasts in Canada?
Decent coverage or only near big metro areas?

emveepee

OTA isn't bad in major especially if you like reality TV.  If you are bilingual since that can double the choice  and you get most of the major network shows from the US and Canada  If you are near the border you can get the American networks and the sub channels stations too.

If you want sports, movies, new drama, cable new etc you want cable.

Martin

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Since Emby added couples iptv options could one work's now in canada? Im still looking for tv via emby i like the pvr management the problem is all providers are getting away from .m3u playlists they move to something like xstream i dont know if emby could support Xstream emulation in a future

Emby will likely never support the xstream format, not in the near future anyway.

If you want to send me a PM I can give you info on a few providers serving your area.
Just send me your location.

I believe there are external tools you can use to convert to m3u.

Yea but they block m3u

Edited by swenth

11 minutes ago, swenth said:

Yea but they block m3u

What do you mean?
An xtream to m3u converter that blocks m3u isn't a converter at all.  LOL

What you have to understand is that m3u files have very legitimate uses for TV that Emby has to support.  Many hardware vendors export m3u files for access by other devices on the LAN.  One of our partners Vbox does exactly this specifically with an m3u interface.  HDHomeRuns use a playlist similar to m3u file and can be used via m3u file as well.  Enigma2 Boxes and many other like it use m3u for integration of legal services.

Our friends at NextPVR and ChannelsDVR among many others integrate with Emby via m3u for legal services.

M3U is a defacto standard used in software and hardware devices and Emby will always support this standard.

Nothing like the above can be said about xtream.

Edited by cayars

12 minutes ago, cayars said:

What do you mean?
An xtream to m3u converter that blocks m3u isn't a converter at all.  LOL

Not the software, the iptv providers they block anything that isnt xtream code already attempted to use m3u after but they just block it. There are severals providers that migrate to xtream 

Edited by swenth

I don't know where you're getting your information from but they don't block anything.  You wouldn't go to Chevy to purchase a Ford Motor, nor would you say Chevy blocked your motor purchase. It's a different platform just like Linux vs Windows.  They may both do many things the same or with the same output but they are different platforms and have different underlying workings and architecture.

Just like with web hosting, if your provider decides to switch all the servers from Windows to Linux but your site requires Windows what do you do?  Look for a different provider. :)

Edited by cayars

canada99

Canada has not much of any selection lol 😄  All the good channels are either from the uk or the usa. Get a vpn and check out slingTV or buy an HDhomerun and run it through emby as it has a nice epg guide for locals :)