Emby on Amazon AppStore?

DarrenClimie-Newman

DarrenClimie-Newman

Hi Guys.

Here's the scenario. My 2 daughters have Amazon Fire HD for Kids Devices. I've set them up profiles on Emby so they only get served appropriate content, ie. Animation movies etc.

On Amazon Fire for Kids Tablets, you can download Apps from the Amazon AppStore under the Adult Profile and then 'Share' those apps over to the Kids Profile. 

However, when you search for Emby on the AppStore on the Fire Tablet, Emby isn't found. So first question, is Emby available on the Amazon AppStore for Tablets?

You can sideload the Emby APK on to the Tablet, but as it's not been installed from the Appstore, it doesn't allow you to 'Share' the app over to the kids profile, so it's only available under the Adult Profile, which defeats the object of the Amazon Fire for Kids solution.

Should Emby be on the Amazon AppStore for Fire Tablets? It's odd because Emby does appear to exist on the AppStore - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Emby-Mobile/dp/B00GVH9O0I?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_dls

It just doesn't appear when you search the store in the tablet?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi.  We are not currently available on the Amazon mobile app store.  We are available in the Fire TV store (for the Fire TV app).  You can sideload the mobile app onto  your tablets using the download from our web site.

DarrenClimie-Newman

I know you can sideload, that's what I explained I've done in my post. Good to know I'm not missing something though.

Is there a reason you're not in the mobile app store?

DarrenClimie-Newman

Can you add the Emby App to the Amazon Mobile App store? Would be fantastic for anyone with Fire HD Kids edition tablets, that any to share Emby content to their kids!

• 7 months later...

@DarrenClimie-Newman Hello, I just bought 2 fire tablets for my daughters as well and wanted to do the same thing as you, share the app to my childs profiles. Very surprised and disappointed  there is not an official amazon store emby app. There is one for Plex and Jellyfin. 

Did you find a resolution to this? I followed the steps to install play store and got emby installed that way, but doesnt show up to share to the childs profile. What was your resolution?

Thanks

DarrenClimie-Newman

I didn't dig in to it that much. If they want to watch something on emby, I log in to the main profile and access via the browser. Not ideal, but no other option.

@Luke - Any news on an Amazon App Store app for Fire tablets?

On 9/20/2021 at 11:25 AM, DarrenClimie-Newman said:

I didn't dig in to it that much. If they want to watch something on emby, I log in to the main profile and access via the browser. Not ideal, but no other option.

@Luke - Any news on an Amazon App Store app for Fire tablets?

We're continuing to try and submit the app. The latest details can be found here:

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
F1nchy

Is there any updates on this? I'm trying to get Emby onto my 5 year old's kids fire tablet but am having the same issue. 

I've also tried following this guide but I can't install the Google Framework Services because it's for ANdroid 12+ so won't install, which means Play Store also won't run;
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002148978-manual-install-on-fire-tablets

Any ideas? 
Thanks

Edited by F1nchy

The instructions were accurate at the time of writing. Most likely the versions will change with new Fire  OS upgrades.
Often times searching for the latest version of the files mentioned will do the trick.

Except for the actual install of the Emby app you can likely find the latest method of sideloading apps on Youtube.

This kind of information is often lifted from the forums when other veteran users share this kind of info.

If you can't figure this out, I believe I've got an older 7" Fire Tablet that I could try to match your OS version and take it from there.

Carlo

gateway786

Bro first you change the unknown source enable and install the x-plore apk and share the file smb server and install any app on ur tablet i will show you in my lcd 

image.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Great news everyone. Emby for Android 3.3.29 is available in the Amazon App Store.

Please try it out and report your experience. Thanks !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darren & Gemma

For whatever reason, I can download the Emby Mobile App from the AppStore, but when I try and share the app across into my child's profile, it doesn't work. I can select it in the 'share content' settings, but it just doesn't appear on the child's profile like other apps I've shared.

I know this is likely to be and Amazon issue, but nonetheless, a little frustrating! 😔 @Luke

Darren & Gemma

I've also tried it on 2 different FireHDs with 2 different child profiles, same result.

@LukeNot sure if you can speak with Amazon, because this was specifically the use case for having it on the AppStore for me. Thanks 

10 minutes ago, Darren & Gemma said:

For whatever reason, I can download the Emby Mobile App from the AppStore, but when I try and share the app across into my child's profile, it doesn't work. I can select it in the 'share content' settings, but it just doesn't appear on the child's profile like other apps I've shared.

I know this is likely to be and Amazon issue, but nonetheless, a little frustrating! 😔 @Luke

They've given the app a 16+ rating so that could be the reason.

@ebr

Yes, I've found the same. I added it it through the AMazon store on my daughter's Kids Fire tablet in my profile and shared it to her profile, but it doesn't show up when we log into her profile. 

Darren & Gemma
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

They've given the app a 16+ rating so that could be the reason.

@ebr

I've shared Netflix to my child's profile, you can't tell me that has a Child rating? I can't even see where the rating of the app is in the appstore?

1 hour ago, Darren & Gemma said:

I've shared Netflix to my child's profile, you can't tell me that has a Child rating? I can't even see where the rating of the app is in the appstore?

I'm not saying we're happy about it, but that's the content rating that they've assigned to our app.

They should be able to remedy it. The Plex app can be accessed on a child's account on Fire tracker so that must assigned a suitable lower age rating, there may be a way to request they change it?

I just had a look on my daughter's Fire Kids tablet and the Emby Mobile app was showing. Selected it and it seemed to download it again (does it do that for each user?!) but started up fine and found my Emby server straight away. 

Thanks!

• Thanks 2