Spurious Album Artist being picked up

kkhan

I have noticed that on occasion emby assigns a spurious Album Artist to an Album.  In the example below on the home screen, two Albums by "The Academy of Ancient Music" are being flagged as by an ensemble L'Arpegiatta.  I have some albums by that ensemble elsewhere in the library.  This appears to happen at random across the entire library but only occasionally. Rescanning or removing the album from the library, rescanning and then putting it back into the library does not resolve the issue.  Maybe it is a database corruption issue? In which case maybe I can use a database editor to correct manually?

From the example below, you can see that I am make sure all my tags are clean so I do not think it is a tagging conflict issue.  In the past I have seen FLAC files with sometimes APE and VORBIS tags or ID3 and VORBIS tags so I make sure that all my FLACs have VORBIS tags, and MP3s and DSFs have ID3V2.3 only.

Any advice or guidance would be welcome.

image.thumb.png.3dd1d8be515a7640db173706a185a6da.png

Looking at one specific Album, in the detail view the same thing.

image.thumb.png.08091a877b77bf9350fad103c5f07575.png

The FFPROBE output shows that the Tag information is clean, for example for Track 2

image.thumb.png.0c19fc770501ebc48047b4b242df4892.png

PenkethBoy

which server version?

as music has just been re written in beta (very new!)

but very likely a metadata problem/issue

PenkethBoy

ok = looking at the ffmpeg output you dont have an AlbumArtist tag - so emby will default back to using the artist and as you have two.....

Album Artist and Album_artist are not valid for emby - delete them and add in AlbumArtist and assuming nothing else is going on that should fix it

the new music option in beta is even more strict as its only tag driven - so a good time to review and fix errors like this

Thanks.  Let me have a look at this.  The tags are set by MediaMonkey so I will try a different tagger to see if that makes a difference.  I will get back when I have done that.

However, I am somewhat confused because an album which is correctly identified has exactly the same album artist tags as in the album causing problems (as the entire library is managed by MediaMonkey) as you can see below.
image.png.25145c8292e4d597ab24f9697c99796f.png

The FFPROBE output for the first track
image.thumb.png.fe7fe072b7afd738a71340e84ff09de0.png

Also MP3Tag reports the correct Tag. Maybe it is the additional "Album Artist" tag which governs how the tag is displayed is causing the problem.  I will delete it and see if it solves the issue.

image.png.a9d2a31802414a08535e8f485b7c7b70.png

PenkethBoy

dual artist tags not great idea - put both artist in one - IIRC ; can be used to separate them - dont use a , 

album artist is not used and redundant

Use MusicBrainz Picard - much better as will be consistent with what emby expects

The problem I am having is that I really do not have control over how MediaMonkey places the tags. MusicBrainz is unfortunately not a music manager but I do use it as a check.  I will run some tests on a sample of files.

BTW, the comma separator on the composer field is deliberate as Classical composers are normally identified by their surname so instead of John Frederick Lampe, I use "Lampe, John Frederick"

MusicBrainz is the service that has the music meta-data.

MusicBrainz PICARD is the music tagging PROGRAM that uses MusicBrainz.

So using PICARD will just about guarantee things will match exactly in Emby.

• 1 month later...

I have spent some time digging into the problem and have finally verified that it is nothing to do with the music metadata.  This is what I suspected anyway as I have several thousand albums which are all consistently tagged (and by that I mean the same tools - LAC to check FLAC streams; audiotester to check mp3 streams, dbpoweramp to test DSD streams. After testing the streams, I use mediamonkey for FLAC and MP3 files and MusicBee for DSD files with an additional check with Picard to ensure that multiple field tags use a consistent separator.

I created a separate portable test installation of emby and loaded the music library.  The inconsistencies I have highlighted plus some others did not propagate and I obtained a clean library.  So clearly it is an emby database corruption issue.

Makes sense as I have not done a clean emby installation for 7 years now.

I do not want to do that as it will take a long time and the server will be offline for at least a day and a half; maybe more.  An alternate would be to use a database editor.  Can anyone recommend a free one as I will just use once (I hope).

45 minutes ago, kkhan said:

I have spent some time digging into the problem and have finally verified that it is nothing to do with the music metadata.  This is what I suspected anyway as I have several thousand albums which are all consistently tagged (and by that I mean the same tools - LAC to check FLAC streams; audiotester to check mp3 streams, dbpoweramp to test DSD streams. After testing the streams, I use mediamonkey for FLAC and MP3 files and MusicBee for DSD files with an additional check with Picard to ensure that multiple field tags use a consistent separator.

I created a separate portable test installation of emby and loaded the music library.  The inconsistencies I have highlighted plus some others did not propagate and I obtained a clean library.  So clearly it is an emby database corruption issue.

Makes sense as I have not done a clean emby installation for 7 years now.

I do not want to do that as it will take a long time and the server will be offline for at least a day and a half; maybe more.  An alternate would be to use a database editor.  Can anyone recommend a free one as I will just use once (I hope).

What you could also try is removing all music for that artist, running a full scan of all libraries to clean it out of the database, and then adding it back.

• Like 1