Is the Android TV app only DD 2.0?

DeanoDublin

deanDemo

Interesting suggestions. The reason that I do not have a shield is pretty simple - it has a Bluetooth remote and I'm need to replace my Logitech Harmony which is again more hassle and $$$. The processer in these Sony TVs is damn good and the apps are really slick on it - it would be a shame to have to completely replace this functionality with an external device! It was a great move going from using the NUC to the apps on the TV.

I've actually borrowed a neighbours Pioneer receiver (much better than mine!) and am going to test using that. I'm determined to get this to work!!

mastrmind11
35 minutes ago, deanDemo said:

Interesting suggestions. The reason that I do not have a shield is pretty simple - it has a Bluetooth remote and I'm need to replace my Logitech Harmony which is again more hassle and $$$. The processer in these Sony TVs is damn good and the apps are really slick on it - it would be a shame to have to completely replace this functionality with an external device! It was a great move going from using the NUC to the apps on the TV.

I've actually borrowed a neighbours Pioneer receiver (much better than mine!) and am going to test using that. I'm determined to get this to work!!

which Harmony do you have?  you can control the shield using CEC if your remote doesn't support bluetooth.  CEC works perfectly fine.  i've got an old LG IR remote on one of my tvs that the kids use with no issues.  assuming your tv supports CEC, that is.

DeanoDublin
6 minutes ago, mastrmind11 said:

which Harmony do you have?  you can control the shield using CEC if your remote doesn't support bluetooth.  CEC works perfectly fine.  i've got an old LG IR remote on one of my tvs that the kids use with no issues.  assuming your tv supports CEC, that is.

It’s a Harmony One. I cannot use anything else because apart from the TV this controls the AV receiver, projector, pj screen and NUC (still need that for NFL app). It’s simply not replaceable unfortunately!! 

I wonder if a FLIRC ir usb can be used with a Shield...

mastrmind11
3 minutes ago, DeanoDublin said:

It’s a Harmony One. I cannot use anything else because apart from the TV this controls the AV receiver, projector, pj screen and NUC (still need that for NFL app). It’s simply not replaceable unfortunately!! 

You don't have to replace it.  If your TV supports CEC (which any tv since like 2013 does), then you can control the shield using your existing remote.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control#:~:text=Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is,for up to 15 devices.&text=link protocol to perform remote control functions.

Also, are you sure the One doesn't support bluetooth?  specs look like it does.

Edited by mastrmind11

deanDemo
Just now, mastrmind11 said:

You don't have to replace it.  If your TV supports CEC (which any tv since like 2013 does), then you can control the shield using your existing remote.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control#:~:text=Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is,for up to 15 devices.&text=link protocol to perform remote control functions.

Yes, but the Shield would need to be connected through the AV receiver. CEC doesn't pass back on down through it, right?

mastrmind11
7 minutes ago, deanDemo said:

Yes, but the Shield would need to be connected through the AV receiver. CEC doesn't pass back on down through it, right?

CEC should work through the receiver, it's just an option you have to turn on on each device that you want to be able to control.  Certainly can't hurt to try.  Go pick up a shield from best buy and if it doesn't work, return it within 30 days.

fwiw, I have a sony atv and it only has issues with DTS and up.  DD should be fine.

1 hour ago, deanDemo said:

and the apps are really slick on it

The TV is running the same UI as the Shield so the apps should be identical (but faster).  Just FYI.

But, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get it working on just the TV too.

raven-au
5 hours ago, deanDemo said:

If ARC is working then CEC should also be working.

If CEC is working then quite a few of the functions of the TV IR remote get sent via. CEC to the currently active CEC device, the Shield in this case.

So you can use the Harmony Watch TV activity to control the Shield.

I have a couple of Harmony remotes as well and mostly what I do is have activities only for the non-CEC devices and use a Watch TV activity for the CEC enabled devices.

I admit the shield is a bit annoying because you can't go to the input devices menu on the TV and select the shield, and expect it to wake up and change to the active device like other things like a Blu-ray player or Apple TV do so you need to press a key on the Shield TV remote to wake it up. 

And, as @ebr says, the Shield TV runs Andriod TV too, except it's a bit cleaner and has the audio and video smarts the TV Android TV always should have had.

But, yes, it is a cost and it is a bunch of messing around!

Pkanarki
5 hours ago, DeanoDublin said:

I use flirc with my shieldt tv on my samsung tv. It works just fine.

I use the samsung tv remote (the new type that looks a bit like the shield remote). Then on samsung tv remote setup I can choose many different devices, i just choose some cable box, and confirm etc, and then the remote blast infrared, and i can then "learn/teach" the flirc usb.

Shield on/off is done with cec

One Advantage from using flirc is i can use and customize a few more buttons on samsung remote compared to the original shield remote which has not so many buttons. Plus I only have one remote.

I used to have harmony smart remote, so i know the system. If you are already very happy and committed to the harmony system, i would recommend the flirc.

deanDemo

OK, so I just had the opportunity to test with my neighbours receiver and eARC from the TV is not working with that either (works perfectly from his TV). I can only assume at this stage that it's a faulty HDMI port on my TV.

I think that's my first course of action - get this confirmed and if necessary get the TV replaced. Once it's working with ARC, my hope/expectation is that audio from Emby will be 5.1!!

Fallback will be an Nvidia Shield.

Thanks everyone for your input - it's been really helpful. If anything, it's got me wanting a Shield once again!!

• Like 1