Any secret to figuring out why something is Direct Streaming?

SHyde
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

I thought I was pretty good at getting my files to Direct Play, but I noticed this one stubbornly refusing to.

It is in an .mkv.

image.png.975f6829fc8e98323f307078ad76bcc3.png

image.png.a5ca6de9798a6492103eb5c7c039601c.png

I tried it with the default audio track:

image.png.7ebe82ab401f8dfbd486364344c61a53.png

But also with the lossy track:

image.png.05386ad186cc2909473f2c7d455a908b.png

Switching between the audio tracks did cause the video to flicker like something was changing, but it reported Direct Stream for both.

Thanks,

-Sean

• Solution

TrueHD is not supported and probably the cause. Select another track before commencing playback. 

Happy2Play

Would need to see ffmpeg logs for each playback. But nothing stands out for the ac3 track not direct playing.

54 minutes ago, SamES said:

TrueHD is not supported and probably the cause. Select another track before commencing playback. 

SamES nailed it. 

Looks like once it decided to Direct Stream, changing the audio track didn't cause it re-evaluate this decision.

If I start playback using the AC3 track, then it Direct Plays just fine.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. Could you please post the original ffmpeg log where you tried to switch to AC3 during playback so we can see why this occurred. 

9 hours ago, SamES said:

Thanks for the feedback. Could you please post the original ffmpeg log where you tried to switch to AC3 during playback so we can see why this occurred. 

Sure...

I tried it again this morning to try and create a clean section of the log.  I have to ffmpeg logs, but based on the contents and timing, I don't think the second file is actually the switch to AC3.  The second log is only 1 second later than the first, and I definitely waited longer than that before swapping the audio to AC3.  This creation of two logs seemed repeatable.

The second log doesn't seem to contain any indication of the audio switching.  It lasts the length of the test and just seems to write the .ts file chunks.

ffmpeg-remux-efd6effb-7a51-4a69-9702-be902a7416f4_1.txt ffmpeg-remux-94540a1a-2f3c-46eb-bb55-4effa0c6d760_1.txt