Very slow buffering

nebster

nebster

Hi Emby support,

I'm having an issue where buffering is very slow when refresh rate switching is turned on. Turning it off buffers at full speed.

Media info: IMAX Infinite Worlds 4k h264 (no hdr) from http://thedigitaltheater.com/imax-pre-show-trailers/

Device: Nvidia Shield 2017 (P2897)
TV info: 1080p
Normal refresh rate: 59.94Hz
Media refresh rate: 24Hz

Debug log sent from Android TV app at 18:27 with the username nebster.

It's a 44Mb/s bitrate file or so. When refresh rate switching is turned off, it buffers at 200Mb/s. When turned on, it buffers at 8Mb/s (according to router stats).

Is this a known issue?

19 hours ago, nebster said:

where buffering is very slow

Hi.  What does that really mean?  What is happening in the app?

The buffering colour in the playback bar moves very slowly and the media pauses every second or so for a long period of time.

1 hour ago, nebster said:

The buffering colour in the playback bar moves very slowly and the media pauses every second or so for a long period of time.

That wasn't evident in the log you sent.  It didn't look like you played for more than about 20 seconds but there didn't appear to be any dropped frames.

I'm not really sure how the display mode would impact this as well so that is interesting...

Ah, I thought that would have enough information for debugging. My mistake.

I have uploaded a new log at 00:48am UTC of the whole file playing with the pauses as refresh rate switching is turned on.

I have also uploaded a new log at 00:50am UTC of the whole file playing with no pauses as refresh rate switching is turned off.

I can see the pauses happening in that log and they look like they are related to the delivery of the stream but I'm not sure how the display refresh rate would affect that.  It is direct playing in both instances, correct?

Does the refresh rate match look correct?  IOW does it play smoother with it on than off?

Yes, both are direct playing afaict.

Yes, it looks like it is selecting the correct refresh rate. It looks roughly the same whether the refresh rate matching feature is on or off. The reason why I use the feature is that if I'm watching a 3D film, the TV decides to keep switching out of 3D mode if I'm not using the correct refresh rate.

Does your TV have any sort of special processing modes to try and accommodate mismatched refresh rates?  Something like a "smooth streaming" setting or the like?  Can you try fiddling with those settings if it does and see if it makes a difference?

Sorry, I should clarify. When the feature was working, it looked roughly the same. It's only recently become broken. Now that it is broken, it is very different. The media pauses for long periods of time when refresh rate switching is turned on. Here's a link to a recording of the two different modes. The working one is shortened as it plays like a normal video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/F7SjkvgpKk4WeoKS6

There are no settings that I can find like that either on the receiver or on the projector.

3 minutes ago, nebster said:

When the feature was working

When, exactly, was that?

3 minutes ago, nebster said:

it looked roughly the same

That would indicate to me that the TV does have interpolation routines but may not have any settings related to them.

4 minutes ago, ebr said:

When, exactly, was that?

Unfortunately, I''m not sure. Maybe a few weeks ago? I run my Emby in Kubernetes though so it may not have been updated for a while. Also not sure when the Nvidia Shield last updated the Emby app. Both are up-to-date right now though afaict.

4 minutes ago, ebr said:

That would indicate to me that the TV does have interpolation routines but may not have any settings related to them.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Whether the Nvidia Shield sends 24Hz or 60Hz, the TV/projector should just be showing the direct frames on the screen, right? The project supports both frame rates natively so there shouldn't be any interpolation.

1 minute ago, nebster said:

TV/projector should just be showing the direct frames on the screen, right?

No, if it did that it would look horrible if the refresh rate was mismatched.  All displays have software that interpolates the frame rates to make it play smoothly when it isn't the same.  Some give you some control over this or, rather, try to do special interpolation that  you can turn on or off.

21 minutes ago, ebr said:

No, if it did that it would look horrible if the refresh rate was mismatched.  All displays have software that interpolates the frame rates to make it play smoothly when it isn't the same.  Some give you some control over this or, rather, try to do special interpolation that  you can turn on or off.

Ok, so to confirm, you're saying that frame interpolation would occur when trying to play at 60Hz and the projector should be smart enough to realise that the source is actually 24Hz, but being sent as 60Hz, and interpolate frames to make it seem more smooth? 

Also, how would this affect the buffering rate when displaying at 24Hz though?

Edit: From having a look online, the Optoma HD20/HD200X was released in 2009 and had native 24Hz support. Only HD33 and above started introducing frame interpolation though.

Edited by nebster

Okay, so you are playing on a very old projector?

15 minutes ago, nebster said:

Also, how would this affect the buffering rate when displaying at 24Hz though?

That is the question I don't have the answer to at this point.  I don't know how the display refresh rate should affect retrieving the content from the server...

1 minute ago, ebr said:

Okay, so you are playing on a very old projector?

Yes

1 minute ago, ebr said:

That is the question I don't have the answer to at this point.  I don't know how the display refresh rate should affect retrieving the content from the server...

Ok. Is there anything else I can do to help debug the issue?

20 minutes ago, nebster said:

Is there anything else I can do to help debug the issue?

Not at this time.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, it looks like this isn't related to the refresh rate switching. I've seen it happen with it turned off now sometimes. When it does happen, it is consistent though. I cannot restart the media to stop it from happening.

I can however use EmbyCon in Kodi and playback seems to always work there so far.

33 minutes ago, nebster said:

Hmmm, it looks like this isn't related to the refresh rate switching.

Okay, that makes more sense.  I couldn't figure out how the display refresh rate would have any impact on the stream retrieval.

On 21/01/2021 at 18:37, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading this on the shield and see how it compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Same thing happens unfortunately.

On 21/01/2021 at 18:41, ebr said:

Okay, that makes more sense.  I couldn't figure out how the display refresh rate would have any impact on the stream retrieval.

Yeah, it was really weird how turning off the refresh rate matching feature made it work before. Now it doesn't seem to.

Ok, I think I've figured this out. It's to do with the device itself. I've just switched to ethernet and it now seems to be fast again. It might be that my Nvidia Shield is too close to the wifi point? And maybe switching to 24Hz was somehow causing further disruptions???

30 minutes ago, ebr said:

So, this was all just poor wifi performance?

I think so... My shield is about 50cm away from the wireless router so it might have just been too close.

I'll monitor it and see what happens because Youtube worked fine at 1080p and so did Netflix. It was only affecting Emby. When I originally had this problem, using iperf3 I could get 200Mb/s. Just before i did the switch to ethernet I only got 50Mb/s (sometimes down to 8Mb/s). When switching to ethernet it went back to 200Mb/s.

It doesn't seem to make that much sense so maybe this is a combination of multiple different issues? (all device/setup related probably?)