Backup/archive/restore library

jptestung

jptestung

My emby is on a dedicated server "in the cloud" that is always on, I use it for me and my brother and his family. But the storage on this server (1To) is running short so I'm considering moving some files to a home NAS that is not always on (it's very noisy and I live in a small apart, no way I can keep it on all the time).

That's a valid strategy, except that my archived movies won't show up anymore in Emby. 

So I try to think about things that Emby could do to manage this use case.

What if for example I could configure a "Backup library" for each library. Emby would let me backup/archive/restore movies, managing a queue of transfers ?

If we go further, emby could also manage automatically archiving, movies/tv shows that has not been seen since a long time ago could be archived. And if you watch an episode of a tv show and the next one is archived, maybe it can be restored in background for example.

Also Emby could let me know when I'm looking for a movie that it's not on the main server, but it's archived and can be restored ?

I know it's probably a quite complex feature to develop, I'm just starting a discussion to see where it goes.

• Like 1

I think this sort of thing is best left as a plugin, or even better, an external tool that would be separate from Emby.

• Like 1