Emby LG TV app; resume playback does not work

ChrisJ60

ChrisJ60

In Emby, if you have previously played part of a media file then when you come back to it later as well as a 'Play' button you also have a 'resume from h:mm:ss' button which should restart playback at the stated point (i.e.e the place you had reached previously). Unfortunately in the Emby LG TV app, the 'resume' button always restarts playback at the beginning, which is a massive PITA. Since there also doesn't;t seem t be any way to 'scrub' during playback one is then faced with skipping forward 1.5 hours in 30 second increments. It really is quite tedious.

Any chance this might be fixed soon? And perhaps add the ability to scrub forward and backwards too?

Edited by ChrisJ60

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please see how to report a media playback issue:

Thanks.

ChrisJ60

embyserver.txt

Attached is the Emby server log and a short video showing the issue. Please note that:

1.    The issue affects all media files.

2.  The issue is specific to the Emby LG TV app. The iOS app and Apple TV apps with resume playing correctly.

Please can we have a fix ASAP as this is a major annoyance.

Also, please implement the ability to scrub forward and backwards within videos in the Emby LG TV app like we have in the iOS and Apple TV apps.

Thanks,  Chris

ChrisJ60

Of course I can try the next update, and the one after that and the one after that and the one after that....

I was hoping for a more definitive statement and feedback, perhaps from the developer of your LG TV app. Something like 'yes, that's a known issue and it will be fixed in the <insert fix timeline here>' and 'Yes, we need to add scrubbing support to the app. It's on the list for update <insert timeline here>'.

Given that I pay for Emby Premiere, just being told to 'try the next update' seems a bit of a minimal response.

rbjtech

What version of WebOS are you running ?

I have zero issues with resuming on the LG App - it does play maybe 1/2 a second at the start, but then jumps to the resume position automatically.

Also - with regards to jumping where you want to be, then currently the only option for this is with the 'LG magic remote' where you simply point to where you want to be on the timeline - it shows the thumbnail automatically (it will scroll through them all as you roll over the line), and then just click to start from that location.   You can also point and click to any button press - so overall it's a much better experience than using up/down/left/right on a standard remote.

I'm hoping the next version mirrors what the Android App does when you can press 'up/down' and then get chapter points etc - for me, that is all that is really missing in the current LG App.

edit - Looking at your logs, I see you are using trakt.tv - this may be the issue as I don't use that service and it appears to be doing API calls to it when you stop/start the playback.  Presumably you need this service to sync with other services ?  if not, then I would remove it as emby does not need it to resume itself.

Edited by rbjtech

ChrisJ60

My TV is a 2020 55" model running the latest webOS - 03.21.10. I am running the latest (as of this moment) version of the Emby app - 1.0.24. The Emby server is also latest version - 4.5.4.0. I just tested this again; there is no 'resume' at all. I left it to play for 60 seconds and it just kept going from the beginning (it should have resumed from ~15 minutes).

Thanks for the pointer regarding jumping to a specific point that is very useful to know!

The Trakt.tv plugin is purely so we have a record of what we have watched, which we use for other purposes; nothing to do with resuming playback etc. I can't see how Trakt could be related to this problem as it is server side and as I mentioned the iOS and AppleTV Emby apps resume correctly and they are running against the same server. It seems to be a problem specific to the Emby app for LG TV though why it works for you and not me I cannot say.

Edited by ChrisJ60

• 2 weeks later...
shocker

I've encountered this issue as well on 1.0.24 with Emby 4.6.0.10. Starting the video file from scratch always worked but if I try to move forward or resume the image freeze. Since I'm using the LG TV most of the time for live tv I didn't created a pattern, if needed I can test and provide some feedback as well.

@Lukeany feedback from LG when they will approve the next update?

Edited by shocker