[FEATURE REQUEST] Dolby Vision support for MKV in LG TV app

Daicon
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

Daicon

Hello everyone

Let's see if you can solve a question for me.

Will there be a version of emby player for lg oled c8 (webOg lg - unknow version)
That allows to reproduce Dolby vision Dual layer in the new MKV?

In android TV it is already working.

The idea is to know if it will arrive at the internal app of Emby of C8 lg, or will I have to buy a new device.

Thank you

Daicon

It’s awesome that Dolby Vision works in the Android flavor of Plex, but seeing this support in the native LG app would be much appreciated.

I believe the proper thing to do is have separate feature requests per OS platform, so I’m filing this request!

Would it be possible? 

My Tv is Oled c8
  • Like 2

SamES

It all depends an whether this is supported natively by the tv. If you put the file on a USB drive and connect it directly to the TV, does it play as you expect using the TV’s internal player?

if it does , then it should also work with Emby if the file can be played via DirectPlay, otherwise there’s not much we can do if it doesn’t play via USB. 

Can you attach the media info for a sample file?

Daicon
20 minutes ago, SamES said:

It all depends an whether this is supported natively by the tv. If you put the file on a USB drive and connect it directly to the TV, does it play as you expect using the TV’s internal player?

if it does , then it should also work with Emby if the file can be played via DirectPlay, otherwise there’s not much we can do if it doesn’t play via USB. 

Can you attach the media info for a sample file?

I haven't tried to play USB directly, I'll give it a try, but I honestly doubt that's the problem.

since I have tried both nvidia SHIELD (emby and plex) and in both cases it plays the new mkv with Dovi dual layer on my c8 tv.

also I have also tried the fire stick 4k and with Plex it also plays.

but I imagine that you will be informed of the problems with both devices:

-fire stick 4k only play Mel and not fel (black screen)

-nvidia shield, color problems in dovi since its launch, recognized by nvidia.

That is why I am interested in updating the internal emby app in LG to give compatibility to the new mkv with Dovi.

Edit:

I also add a reflection. regardless of whether the tv was compatible or not, emby's app has not been updated since March. (in lg) The new format is from November, I understand that an update is surely necessary in the client apps, right?

Edited by Daicon

FrostByte

Many TVs which support DV like Sony Android TVs only support DV profile 5 internally which is the type you see in Disney+, Netflix, etc.  In order to play DV profile 7 which is the type you're referring to requires something like a 2019 Shield to then stream profile 7 to a Sony TV

Edited by FrostByte

Daicon
30 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Muchos televisores que admiten DV, como los televisores Android de Sony, solo admiten el perfil DV 5 internamente, que es el tipo que ve en Disney +, Netflix, etc.Para reproducir el perfil DV 7, que es el tipo al que se refiere, se requiere algo como un escudo 2019 para luego transmitir el perfil 7 a un televisor Sony

I know.

therefore the request is for LG.

• Haha 1

Daicon

@SamES

The information video:

Formato : Matroska

Formato de la versión : Version 4 / Version 2

Tamaño de archivo : 127 GiB

Modo de tasa de bits : Variable

Tasa de bits general : 79,8 Mb/s

Fecha de codificación : UTC 2020-12-28 08:22:49

Aplicación de codifición : mkvmerge v51.0.0 ('I Wish') 64-bit

Librería de codificación : libebml v1.4.0 + libmatroska v1.6.2

Need any more?

SamES

Just to understand how the client works. We can’t make the TV play something that it doesn’t already support. If the built in player cannot play the format directly then the server will convert the audio and/or video as required to a supported format in which case you would probably lose the DV component. Shield and fire stick have their own video processing so are not directly relying on the TVs capability. 

• Sad 1

SamES
2 minutes ago, Daicon said:

Need any more?

Yes, all the streams please (video and audio)

Daicon
Hace 6 minutos, SamES dijo:

Si, todas las transmisiones por favor (video y audio)

Audio: Ac3 y DTS

Vídeo

ID: 1

Formato: HEVC

Formato / Info: Codificación de video de alta eficiencia

Nombre comercial: HDR10

Formato del perfil: Main 10 @ L5.1 @ High

Código de identificación: V_MPEGH / ISO / HEVC

Duración: 3 h 48 min

Tasa de bits: 68,0 Mb / s

Ancho: 3840 píxeles

Alto: 2160 píxeles

Relación de aspecto: 16: 9

Modo velocidad fotogramas: Constante

Velocidad de fotogramas: 23,976 (24000/1001) FPS

Espacio de color: YUV

Submuestreo croma: 4: 2: 0 (Tipo 2)

Profundidad bits: 10 bits

Bits / (píxel * fotograma): 0.342

Tamaño de pista: 108 GiB (85%)

Predefinida: No

Forzada: No

Rango de color: limitado

Colores primarios: BT.2020

Características transferencia: PQ

Matriz de coeficientes: BT.2020 no constante

Masterización del monitor de color Principios: Display P3

Masterización del monitor de luminancia: min: 0.0050 cd / m2, max: 4000 cd / m2

Nivel ligero contenido máximo: 602 cd / m2

Nivel ligero fotograma medio máximo: 184 cd / m2

Edited by Daicon

FrostByte
36 minutes ago, Daicon said:

I know.

therefore the request is for LG.

Which is exactly why he asked you to test it using usb.  So obviously you don't know

Daicon
12 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Por eso exactamente te pidió que lo probaras usando usb. Entonces obviamente no sabes

I'm going to test, I'm converting the movie to an external hd.

Although I imagine the result. but since you named the Sony tv ...

I thought the problem was only theirs In case it does not work for usb, there is nothing to do right?

Daicon
1 hour ago, SamES said:

Just to understand how the client works. We can’t make the TV play something that it doesn’t already support. If the built in player cannot play the format directly then the server will convert the audio and/or video as required to a supported format in which case you would probably lose the DV component. Shield and fire stick have their own video processing so are not directly relying on the TVs capability. 

I have already tried by usb. :( effectively, Dv does not work, only hdr. what a pity. There is nothing to do right?

Edited by Daicon

• Solution
42 minutes ago, Daicon said:

There is nothing to do right?

Correct, if it is not supported by the TV then we cannot make the TV support it. The server can only convert media to something that the TV does support. 

Maybe LG will add support in a future firmware update if the TV has enough capability to support it. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
CyberPoison

Also here to add than single layer and dual layer on mp4 and as same for mkv is green bizarre image 

@Luke

@SamES

As said in other post movies single layer or dual layer mp4 as for mkv the DolbyVision layer show image as green

MKV all thoughts lg doesn't support it for now, but mp4 single layer should work as i have a feature request there is a way to use the LG CPU or Server CPU to convert a dual layer to single on the fly without need to use 3 party server? 

Screenshot_20210424_123052_com.mb.android.jpg

IMG_20210424_124158.jpg

IMG_20210424_124205.jpg

rbjtech

Dolby Vision as a standard is made complex with the use of profiles.

Most TV's are only going to be able to process 'profile 4' DV files - because they are what the streaming companies use (by design and adhering to the DV specification).

UHD Blu-Ray's on the other hand, use 'profile 6 or 7' - again by design and in keeping to the DV specification.

Therefore, it is highly unlikely that a TV will natively play anything beyond 'profile 4'.

To get profile 6/7 to play, you need an external player - such as a Shield or UHD Blu-Ray player with this DV profile streaming capability.

The best way to check if it can be played is to use Mediainfo - In the Video section under HDR - it will tell you the DV profile.

dvhe.04.06 = profile 4

dvhe.07.06 = profile 7

The LG can natively play DV just fine (from emby or USB) - as long as it's profile 4 - you can download LG Demo's to prove this but most UHD Rips are going to be profile 6 or 7...

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2