Trakt plug-in messing up my NextUp sorting

cgrey000

cgrey000

Hi,

I'd be interested to understand how the server "sorts" NextUp shows? What is the logic that is used to order the list?

Example - in my NextUp list, the most recent episode I watched is from the third show that actually shows up on my "NextUp" list. It does properly identify the next episode. "Expected" behavior (based on nothing other than how this is handled by another similar app) would be that this show would move to the top of my NextUp list. The second show on the list would contain the second most recent episode watched, etc..

I hope I am articulating this well - visually, my NextUp list looks like this:

Show #1 (last Episode watched was about 2 weeks ago)

Show #2 (I can't even remember when I watched the last episode, but it was no more recent than a month ago)

Show #3 (last Episode watched was yesterday)

Show #4 (last Episode watched was more recent than Show #2, but longer ago than Show #1)

etc...

I do watch episodes via a combination of the Web Interface, the XBMB3C addon and the Android client (both on the device and via Chromecast) if that matters - again, it does seem to have the correct "next episode" for each show in the list...

Any guidance, and/or, is there any way to make it behave the way I described as "expected:?

BATTLE DONKEY

From what I know it bumps shows marked as favorites up the list, but I don't know what else or how it determines if none of the shows are marked as favorites

cgrey000

From what I know it bumps shows marked as favorites up the list, but I don't know what else or how it determines if none of the shows are marked as favorites

Hmm... I can see why it would. In my case, none of the shows in my NextUp list are Favorites. I'm up to date on all (currently only have 4) of my favorites.

Oddly, I just looked further down the list and found a show at #12 on the NextUp list that I've watched within the last week - more recently than everything "above" it except #3 on the list.  #10 is a show that I've watched once - literally months ago, and several more below it have been watched in the past few weeks.. 

So, I'm still pretty confused and would love it if someone who worked on the logic for this could weigh in...

Koleckai Silvestri

It takes into account a number of factors including how many episodes of a show you have watched, the last time you watched the show and when the episode was added. May be able to control it in custom themes. However if the XBMC client does sorting then I suggest using it on all devices capable.

Edited by Wayne Luke

cgrey000

It takes into account a number of factors including how many episodes of a show you have watched, the last time you watched the show and when the episode was added.

OK, thanks, I guess...

Any way to modify the behavior to be more "customizable" to a particular user's taste? I know the XBMB3C addon recent added the ability to sort the NextUp list by show title, which doesn't really work for me either.

Since "once size doesn't fit all", maybe a feature request to customize the sorting algorithm would be a good approach.. ? 

Koleckai Silvestri

I have asked and it is all hardcoded from what I was told. I really don't know what to say otherwise. I wish it had more options. 

• 4 months later...

How would one add a Movie to the nextup list, or is it only for TV shows?

Next Up is for TV.  There is no implied sequence for movies.

Other areas show you suggestions for movies based on ones you've watched recently.

• 4 years later...
Nazgulled

Since this issue was first posted back in 2014, have there been any changes to Emby that could provide a more customizable behavior for this?

For instance, I have 4 in-progress shows but I haven't watched the first 3 in a long time and I recently (yesterday) watched one episode of the last show in the list. I'd prefer if this particular show was on the top of the list because I'm more likely to continue watching this particular show instead of switching to any of the other 3 which I haven't watched in a long time.

I also use the "Emby for Kodi" plugin and I watch pretty much everything from Kodi on my SHIELD Android TV and. I have created a "In-Progress TV Shows" playlist which is ordered by "Last played" in descending order. Based on this, the first show should be one I played last. However, the order of this playlist is exactly the same as the "Next Up" section in Emby so the data is probably coming from Emby.

Is there a setting for this or any way to better control the "Next Up" behavior?

For instance, I have 4 in-progress shows but I haven't watched the first 3 in a long time and I recently (yesterday) watched one episode of the last show in the list. I'd prefer if this particular show was on the top of the list because I'm more likely to continue watching this particular show instead of switching to any of the other 3 which I haven't watched in a long time.

Right after you watched that show, the next up episode for it should be the first one in your Next Up list.  Please check this with the web app as I can't be sure exactly how your Kodi setup is handling that.

Gilgamesh_48

Right after you watched that show, the next up episode for it should be the first one in your Next Up list.  Please check this with the web app as I can't be sure exactly how your Kodi setup is handling that.

As you know "Next up" is one of my interests and one of the most used parts of Emby by me. I can report that in all cases over the last few weeks "Next up" works exactly as you describe and that is exactly as it should. Whenever I watch a show the next episode, assuming it is unwatched which for me it always is, is always moved to the #1 position in "Next up."

As you also know there were a few behavioral glitches in "Next up" some months ago and I am pleased to report that not of the problems have reappeared at all.

The only problem I have had with "Next up" has to do with my Roku and my server losing communication after hours of playing one show after the other and may be directly related to network load which, due to other things I do, sometimes gets very high. When that happens I expect some problems and I just live with it as upgrading my rather large and complex network to all gigabit connection is both time and labor intensive and not really worth the effort for the rare problem I have which goes away after no more than 10 minutes and sometimes a reboot of my Roku. Also it is unclear if the upgrade would really "fix" the problem.

I want to thank you guys for getting the glitches under control and I hope you are working on that long requested "Get me a beer" plugin. ;):lol::rolleyes:

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Nazgulled

Right after you watched that show, the next up episode for it should be the first one in your Next Up list. Please check this with the web app as I can't be sure exactly how your Kodi setup is handling that.

I have 5 shows I'm currently watching on my "Next Up" list. Last night I watched on episode of House of Cards and it was the last TV show I watched. The next episode for this show is the last one on the list, when it should be the first.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I have 5 shows I'm currently watching on my "Next Up" list. Last night I watched on episode of House of Cards and it was the last TV show I watched. The next episode for this show is the last one on the list, when it should be the first.

In what app?

Happy2Play

I do not see this behavior on stable or beta server.  What ever Series episode I watch from Next Up moves that series to the first position for the next episode, assuming there is another episode.

Suits 9x01 in late position

5d485a26eaaf4_2.jpg

Suits 9x02 in first position

5d485a3865347_1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
vdatanet

Right after you watched that show, the next up episode for it should be the first one in your Next Up list. Please check this with the web app as I can't be sure exactly how your Kodi setup is handling that.

For me that’s not true, I’ve seen 3 episodes from a show, it should be the first in next up, but it isn’t, it’s the 4th. All the platforms (web, android tv, apple tv...) show the same next up sorting, so it must be a server issue.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Look at this, I'm watching this episode:

5d685bef618e7_Anotacin20190830011016.jpg

And after watching the episode:

5d685c3398b37_Anotacin20190830011144.jpg

Knight Rider should be the first, but it isn't. "Next Up" looks the same in all platforms.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Look at this, I'm watching this episode:

5d685bef618e7_Anotacin20190830011016.jpg

And after watching the episode:

5d685c3398b37_Anotacin20190830011144.jpg

Knight Rider should be the first, but it isn't. "Next Up" looks the same in all platforms.

Now I see the issue. When I finish watching an Episode from Nvidia Shield, Web App, iOS... It becomes the first in "Next Up", but when I finish watching an episode on Apple TV, the show remains in its original position. I will open an issue on Apple TV forum.

Edit.- I have not opened the topic on Apple TV, it is completely random sometimes happens and sometimes not. When I am able to reproduce it I will open the topic. In some circumstances at the end of watching an episode, the show is not shown first in "Next Up". I will try to find out how but it is random and it will be difficult.

Edited by vdatanet

Gilgamesh_48

Now I see the issue. When I finish watching an Episode from Nvidia Shield, Web App, iOS... It becomes the first in "Next Up", but when I finish watching an episode on Apple TV, the show remains in its original position. I will open an issue on Apple TV forum.

Edit.- I have not opened the topic on Apple TV, it is completely random sometimes happens and sometimes not. When I am able to reproduce it I will open the topic.

It is quite clear what is happening. The episode you watch is NOT getting updated correctly so it is not being detected as watched so it remains where it was it the "Next up" list.

I sometimes see that as well on my Rokus and every time if I exit the app and then reenter it the update happens and my Next up shows correctly.

I "think" it is something screwy in the communication between the app and the server. I do NOT think it is actually a server issue because I have never seen an episode show up as watched on the server and the "Next up" being screwed up.

For me it is such a minor issue and so easily corrected that I have not reported it but, if it is happening regularly for you, you might want to include logs along with the screen shots so, maybe, the developers can actually see where the communication is breaking down.

vdatanet

It is quite clear what is happening. The episode you watch is NOT getting updated correctly so it is not being detected as watched so it remains where it was it the "Next up" list.

I sometimes see that as well on my Rokus and every time if I exit the app and then reenter it the update happens and my Next up shows correctly.

I "think" it is something screwy in the communication between the app and the server. I do NOT think it is actually a server issue because I have never seen an episode show up as watched on the server and the "Next up" being screwed up.

For me it is such a minor issue and so easily corrected that I have not reported it but, if it is happening regularly for you, you might want to include logs along with the screen shots so, maybe, the developers can actually see where the communication is breaking down.

Episode is correctly marked as watched, look that next up shows the next episode, but not in the first position.

Gilgamesh_48

Episode is correctly marked as watched, look that next up shows the next episode, but not in the first position.

In the "while watching" it shows s3e5 and in the after watching it shows s3e8. Those are different but what happened to the ones in between. If say s3e6 was watched before s3e5 then the "Next up" Order would not change because the most recently watch episode was not the one before the next one to be watched. "Next up" is designed, it appears, to track episodes in order and will be incorrect if they are watched out of order.

I find it is correct 95% of the time and the only time it messes up is when the server is not correctly informed about a show's completion.

BTW: My mistake came from the fact that in your graphics capture, when viewed at normal resolution on my screen, the "5" and the "8" looked identical. I had to zoom to see the difference, sorry.

I do wonder if "Next up" has been thoroughly tested when episodes are missing or when they are viewed out of order. I also wonder what the correct behavior from a developer's stand point is when say I watch out of order say, eo8 then e05 or something like that?

As I said in my use case, since I never watch out of order and all my series have all episodes, (With the exception of a couple of very old ones like "Burk's Law" ) my "Next up" seems always correct unless the server just does not get the message and then an exit of the app and a reentry fixes it.

But something else "may" be going on in this case a developer might need to see logs etc. to get it nailed down.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

vdatanet

In the "while watching" it shows s3e5 and in the after watching it shows s3e8. Those are different but what happened to the ones in between. If say s3e6 was watched before s3e5 then the "Next up" Order would not change because the most recently watch episode was not the one before the next one to be watched. "Next up" is designed, it appears, to track episodes in order and will be incorrect if they are watched out of order.

I find it is correct 95% of the time and the only time it messes up is when the server is not correctly informed about a show's completion.

BTW: My mistake came from the fact that in your graphics capture, when viewed at normal resolution on my screen, the "5" and the "8" looked identical. I had to zoom to see the difference, sorry.

I do wonder if "Next up" has been thoroughly tested when episodes are missing or when they are viewed out of order. I also wonder what the correct behavior from a developer's stand point is when say I watch out of order say, eo8 then e05 or something like that?

As I said in my use case, since I never watch out of order and all my series have all episodes, (With the exception of a couple of very old ones like "Burk's Law" ) my "Next up" seems always correct unless the server just does not get the message and then an exit of the app and a reentry fixes it.

But something else "may" be going on in this case a developer might need to see logs etc. to get it nailed down.

Here is more info for the developers:

- TV Shows doesn't have any missing episode

- TV Shows are watched in correct sort

- Libraries are in sync with Trakt

- I've never watched and episode outside Emby, so Trakt sync shouldn't be an issue

- It is not a problem that is repeated often, I have only seen it 3 or 4 times, on different shows, one time playing the episode on web app and other on Apple TV

- It's a small problem that I can live with, just post it in case you want to check it out

- I post my server logs

Thanks!

embyserver.txt

embyserver-63702720132.txt

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Here is more info for the developers:

- TV Shows doesn't have any missing episode

- TV Shows are watched in correct sort

- Libraries are in sync with Trakt

- I've never watched and episode outside Emby, so Trakt sync shouldn't be an issue

- It is not a problem that is repeated often, I have only seen it 3 or 4 times, on different shows, one time playing the episode on web app and other on Apple TV

- It's a small problem that I can live with, just post it in case you want to check it out

- I post my server logs

Thanks!

Where can I see the datetime when I watched an episode? Maybe the problem is there. Yesterday I watched an episode, in the web application, when I sort episodes by date watched descending, it's in the second page, next to a episode I watched 3 weeks ago. I can't assure you if I really watched that episode three weeks ago and yesterday I rewatched it again. If this is the case, is the episode's watched date updated when watched again? or it is always the first date watched?

Edited by vdatanet