Multiple parts of a Movie..

chrisrobbins1970

chrisrobbins1970

I have a movie mini series that has two parts..Emby shows it as pt 1 and pt2 separate files on my roku, called HEADER ADDITONAL PARTS

how can I name it correctly to show up as ONE file ..

ex:

miniseries (2020) part1.mkv

miniseries (2020) part2.mkv

Edited by chrisrobbins1970

Hi, These days it's best to use a 3rd party tool and combine the two parts into one file. 

Those silly tokens. The token is "HeaderAdditionalParts" and it allows us to change this text into any language. Sometimes these tokens get updated and we have to update them in the application to match their new name. That is all this is. Thank you for bring it to our attention.

Reference: Fix #1015: [LANGS] "HeaderAdditionalParts" has been removed from langs, placing into proprietary langs

The best program to concatenate files is MKVMerge @ https://mkvtoolnix.download/doc/mkvmerge.html

You can also use MKVToolNix GUI (https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html) which has the same ability as MKVMerge since the same company makes these utlities.

Edited by speechles

rbjtech
9 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

I have tried to combine, but the audio goes out of sync

What did you use to do this ?

I've always found mkvtoolnix works well - create a new MKV with part 1 (drag it on) and Append part 2 (drag it on and choose Append) - sync is usually taken care of this way.

chrisrobbins1970

nope tried that. Sound was in sync, however the second part was completed pixelated..

too bad..PLEX automatically sees the two files and added it as one file..bummer

The second half should play automatically but, as indicated combining to one file will give you much better functionality.

12 minutes ago, chrisrobbins1970 said:

however the second part was completed pixelated.

Appending should not impact the video at all.  Are the two parts in different formats?

pwhodges

I get that sometimes with MKVToolnix especially when appending HEVC files, but then running through Handbrake usually fixes it...

Paul

Maybe you might have better luck trying another program?

I usually join movies parts using AVIDemux.  You open the first file, then append the second and then save the results.  I typically use this program to quickly edit DVR recordings to remove commercials.  It's old, not the slickest UI but works quite well.

• Like 1

rbjtech
19 hours ago, cayars said:

Maybe you might have better luck trying another program?

I usually join movies parts using AVIDemux.  You open the first file, then append the second and then save the results.  I typically use this program to quickly edit DVR recordings to remove commercials.  It's old, not the slickest UI but works quite well.

Yup use it myself - Ctrl PgUp and Ctrl PgDown on keyframes and it's very quick to remove commercials  ;) - great output options too. 

• Like 1