DSM 7.0 - Anyone Testing the Beta?

JulesC
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

JulesC

I was thinking about downloading and testing the DSM 7.0 Beta, but before I did I wanted to check with this group to see if anyone has any experiences (good or bad).

Is DSM / NAS / Apps or Services Stable?

Does Emby Server, Reverse Proxy, Certificates, etc. still work as expected?

Any watch-outs or concerns?

TIA

JulesC
24 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

You probably should read this thread

@FrostByte thank you! I tried searching but didn’t find anything. This is just what I was looking for. 

• Like 1

RamayMedia

I am running DSM 7.0 and am running Emby 4.6.0.9 Beta. (not in docker) The TV and Movies work great but I can not get it to read anything else. Books, Audio books, Music exc. I'm assuming there is a glitch due to the Beta.  

Edited by RamayMedia

@RamayMediaCan you post your glitch in the post linked to earlier in this thread, as that's the active DSM 7 beta thread for the devs. Thanks

• 1 month later...

previous image nor correct i tried to install the latest release on dsm 6.2 however i installed dsm 7 and got this.  Not a good news pb with security 

image.thumb.png.a66f6f1be184ec129fcf2f71f8597142.png

@Jms92 Please check the post above with the link to the thread in the testing area. I'm running in a vm on my Synology without problems

9 hours ago, Jms92 said:

Glad to hear from you, but I still have security pb can you tell how you bypass that

I can't read your screenshot, as it not high enough resolution. What version of the beta are you using?

it is the dsm 7.0 -41222. 

this is the product created for the vm so it may be different than the real one . 

i have seen plex available so it may be possible to get it for emby too 

image.png

i have the following message when i try to install the latest emby 

as it is in french i try to translate it

it says that:

it is impossible to install because it uses root privileges which is not ok .

Contact the developer to avoid that 

20210219_112040.jpg

got this

What third-party packages are supported on DSM 7.0?

Details

Synology has added a strict requirement on DSM 7.0 to prevent packages not signed by Synology from running with root privileges. This is because packages with root privileges can execute commands as root users and compromise system security.

Due to this change, packages upgraded from DSM 6.2 should change their privilege settings to be able to run on DSM 7.0.

The table below provides a list of third-party packages currently supported on DSM 7.0. We will periodically update the list as new compatible packages become available.

so i don t understand how you can run emby.

Download the correct synology7 beta from the beta link 

Please read that thread, it contains the instructions for installing on the beta DSM 7.

You must download the correct Emby server

Kaj , 

The objective was to check if the product could run before going live with the release 7. 

it seems that none of the Emby beta version is specified to work on the VM . I downloaded the https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.5.4.0/emby-server-synology_4.5.4.0_x86_64.spk (I have a DS918+) this is a 64 cpu 

On a vm it says root privileges not correct. 

I have read many of the thread speaking of DSM 7 and I am still not convinced that it should run correctly. Many are downgrading , some have to lauch the emby server thru an ssh command. This is not what i intend to do  . (this is the objective of the VM)

I use the virtual machine manager , not docker (i am going to try ) 

Please tell me 

Edited by Jms92
missing some sentences

I have a 918+. I have listed the exact steps I took to upgrade Emby running on DSM 6.2 to the beta of DSM 7, using a VM. You can see what happened in the thread you've been referred to.

At present it seems that there is no simple upgrade to migrate all data and keep all settings. It is still being worked on.