Play emby content via direct link (VRChat)

altramarine

altramarine

Good day and happy 2021 to all!

Is it possible to access certain file/s from Emby server using a direct link? Example:

https://my_emby_server/media/movie/movie01.mkv

I am trying to figure out if I can interface with my emby server from within VRchat's video player which accepts links to Youtube/Twitch content. My assumption is that it is not possible because of the emby authentication mechanism.

Many thanks,

Edited by altramarine

altramarine

Thanks Luke,

Once I start playing something in the web app, the link is:

https://my_emby_server/web/index.html#!/videoosd/videoosd.html

Copy/pasting it elsewhere clearly isn't going to work.

Prior to playing a certain item, the link to the content item is:

https://my_emby_server/web/index.html#!/item?id=21212&serverId=f827ca84....456rt

This will not work either since it is not a direct link to the file/stream. I assume I am out of options here?

Many thanks!

Edited by altramarine

altramarine

Thank you again Luke,

I cannot seem to extract the URL from the Download button. Th URL I see is the generic specific to the item, like:

https://my_emby_server/web/index.html#!#dlg160984487345748

This is what is being invoked when I press Download button but that is of no use either. I got this link from the Console in Chrome. Sadly, I do not know JS.

wss://my_emby_server/embywebsocket?api_key=45634565a7ad46788852bc840bf487ab&deviceId=c5df53561-3cd-4c19-927f-34d3676cadd5

Edited by altramarine

• 4 months later...
Webepi193

@altramarine How did you capture the download link to play the video, when I click the download link it just downloads the video again? (and once you had the correct link, how did you get it to play the movie instead of download it?)

I am wanting to have a direct link to the video so if I click on the link, it takes me straight to that video's Emby play page or even just starts playing the video. 

Right now the download link, like the one you posted above with the api_key, just redownloads the file as if I clicked the download button on Emby again. The URL on Emby for the video page, also like you posted above with the /web/index.html, just takes me to our login page for the Emby server and even after logging in, it just takes me to the Home screen.

Any help you can provide would be amazing as it seems like you figured it out and did what we are trying to do.

Thanks.

altramarine

Heya @Webepi193

I found a silly way of extracting the direct URL via Firefox Network Inspector. Don't judge:)
I don't use Chrome but I am sure similar process will apply.

1. Open Firefox > Navigate to your Emby server > Click the movie/show you need the direct link for
    You should see More button. When clicked, it will have Download option. Don't click that yet

2. In the same Firefox window > hamburger menu > Web Developer > Network
  3. Now click Download
    In the Network inspector below, under File column you'll see something along: Download?api_key=xxxxx&mediaSourceId=xxxxxx

4. Right click that first result > Copy > Copy URL
  5. That is the direct URL you can paste into a capable video player (in my case a VRchat video player) and it works great

Note: In my case, my Emby server is exposed to the interweb via a public domain name (xxxxxxx.servebeer.com) and I perform the operation above via that public domain name which is why I am able to use it in VRChat. Your case may be different.

Edited by altramarine