Subtitles filename - disable adding country code

ALIENQuake

ALIENQuake

Hi,

How I can disable adding country code subtitle filename? So instead of MovieName.pl.srt Emby will download MovieName.srt file?

Hello ALIENQuake,

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Hi, we don't currently have any options for this. Out of curiosity, why do you want this?

• Like 1

ALIENQuake

Well, it's pretty oblivious: if the subtitle filename won't match movie filename, it won't be automatically loaded by TV player.

pwhodges

It can match the movie name and then have a language code (or, but not and, a name) and/or a "forced" indicator.  So long as the movie name is matched at the start, the match is made.  This enables subtitles in multiple languages to be provided, for instance.

Paul

8 hours ago, ALIENQuake said:

Well, it's pretty oblivious: if the subtitle filename won't match movie filename, it won't be automatically loaded by TV player.

What tv player?

ALIENQuake
10 hours ago, pwhodges said:

It can match the movie name and then have a language code (or, but not and, a name) and/or a "forced" indicator.  So long as the movie name is matched at the start, the match is made.  This enables subtitles in multiple languages to be provided, for instance.

Paul

Nope, it's not working for LG OLED TV as you claim.

4 hours ago, Luke said:

What tv player?

LG OLED TV WebOS 3.0

Happy2Play

If this is only a specific client issue it should be moved to that client section.

You do not have issues with these subtitle naming and any other client correct?

ALIENQuake

@Happy2Play 

Why you think it's client issue? The opensubtitles.org provided correct filename for subtitles. It's the Emby who rename it and add extra 'language code'.

crusher11

The language code isn't "extra", it tells Emby what language the file is. 

Subtitle files on OS have all sorts of random names. Emby edits the entire thing to be compatible with its naming system, including the language flag. 

seanbuff

@ALIENQuake can you clarify - are you suggesting you are having issues playing back the subtitles using the LG Emby client? or are you using a TV player outside of Emby and having issues loading the subs?

ALIENQuake
2 hours ago, seanbuff said:

@ALIENQuake can you clarify - are you suggesting you are having issues playing back the subtitles using the LG Emby client? or are you using a TV player outside of Emby and having issues loading the subs?

I'm not using LG Emby client, I'm using Emby DLNA media server. When I add new move to the library, Emby downloads subtitle but because it has extra  language code, LG internal player can't find subtitle.

11 minutes ago, ALIENQuake said:

I'm not using LG Emby client, I'm using Emby DLNA media server. When I add new move to the library, Emby downloads subtitle but because it has extra  language code, LG internal player can't find subtitle.

Okay, so that explains it.  The issue is that, if we were to remove that code, then none of our other apps would know what language it was which could make it very hard to select.

• Like 1

DLNA is the most basic of basic playback and if possible should be avoided.  Any device with an Emby Client should use that instead for a much better playback experience.

There is only so much that can be done with DLNA and each DLNA device does things a bit different.

rbjtech

It's a fair observation - maybe add 'no language' to the library subtitle settings and it will then create a copy of the subs based on the other selection.  ie you get 2 identical files but named differently. For English -  movie.en.srt and movie.srt 

However if you have more than one language selected, then you have the question which one should it use to copy from (probably the default language in the main settings)  ...

Capture.PNG

Edited by rbjtech

I suppose if you always wanted just one language to be used a batch file could be run to copy one particular language over to the DLNA version needed.
Personally I'd try and avoid this completely by not using DLNA if possible and using the Emby Client for the device.

rbjtech

Sure - it's easy enough to fix, but as emby has an out the box DLNA option, then making subtitles compatible with that option should work without resorting to scripts or hacks ... 

ALIENQuake

I'm using DLNA because I have also other movie sources and switching apps is waste of the time. I'm not doing anything fancy or unsupported, DLNA should work out-of-the-box for default configuration. The renaming files is workaround, can't be used for long-term.

Please allow for not adding language code either by rbjtech suggestion or by some advanced setting

Well as stated DLNA is only going to do the basics and isn't meant to be a client replacement.  To get advanced/full functionality beyond basics requires using an Emby app.

Sorry you feel having to load/switch an app is a waste of time, but I'm sure you have to load the Netflix app to use it, the Prime app for Prime, etc.  In order to get the most out of Emby you'll need to use an Emby app.

11 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, so that explains it.  The issue is that, if we were to remove that code, then none of our other apps would know what language it was which could make it very hard to select.

+1

ALIENQuake

Ok, so I try to use official Emby app:

- I'm forced to watch 10 seconds of the same 'premium advertisements'

- what's worse, I need to click 'Continue' after the waiting time

- I can't adjust subtitles synchronization

If this is what you propose to the ' most basic of basic playback' then I will pass.

Now, the developers of MPC had no trouble to provide advanced settings to not add country code: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/issues/640

Can you do the same?

ALIENQuake

I never said that, I understand that project of such scope requires founding. I'm accepting to not use premium and limit myself to DLNA-way because I can't accept the above annoyances. But right now, I can't since subtitle download doesn't work on the standard setup. All I'm asking is simple 'if (AddLangCodeWhenSaveSubtitles -eq false) { do not add lang code into filename }.

1 hour ago, ALIENQuake said:

I'm accepting to not use premium and limit myself to DLNA-way because I can't accept the above annoyances.

But the "annoyances" you mentioned wouldn't be there if you had Emby Premiere, correct?

I believe the moral is that this user finds Emby Premiere" or an "Unlock" as the annoyance. :)