LG TV App won't play video files with DTS audio, even with audio transcoding enabled

ChrisJ60

ChrisJ60

It seems that the Emby LG TV app cannot play DTS audio? I have seen this article: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001984861-why-does-the-emby-app-for-my-lg-tv-not-play-the-dolby-atmos-truehd-audio-without-transcoding- which seems to suggest that some flavours of DTS should be playable but others may not be without transcoding.

I have some MKV files with these audio formats (from 'ffprobe'): 

Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s32p (24 bit)

Stream #0:1(eng): Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 7.1, s32p (24 bit)

The Emby server (4.5.4.0 on macOS) streams these 'as is' to the LG TV app (latest available version on a 2020 LG TV) and there are no unexpected messages in the Emby server log. In all cases the video (4K, HDR) plays just fine but there is no sound. The Emby LG TV app does not report any problems. If I convert just the audio tracks to EAC3 then all is well, but I'd rather not have to do that every time if it can be avoided. The Emby user that I am using has audio transcoding allowed but not video transcoding.

So my questions are:

1.   Should the Emby LG TV app be able to correctly play the audio for these files? The article I reference above seems to say 'no' but I just want to confirm.

2.   If not, given that audio transcoding is allowed should the app not request that from the server in order to transcode just the audio track in real-time?

3.   If the app cannot properly play a track for any reason, perhaps an error message might be useful instead of playing with no audio?

Thanks,   Chris

SamES

This is resolved in the next release of the LG App, just waiting for it to be approved and released by LG.

The TV won't be able to play these DTS tracks so the server will automatically convert the audio on the fly, but for 4K movies and other high bitrate content, the result may not provide smooth playback in which case embedding your own AC3 tracks is a better option.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
xrqp

I have the same problem.  Is the next release that fixes this released yet?

Can it work with current release with 4K if the CPU inside the server is powerful?

Are there other workarounds, like using a 2020 Shield Pro as emby client at the TV, or using a NUC client at the TV?

SamES

Not released yet.

It's not a server CPU issue.  I believe that to better support 4K/HEVC streaming a lot of rework is required on the server (and a lot of testing) to change streaming methods. 

xrqp

Thanks, SamES.

Are there other workarounds, like using a 2020 Shield Pro as emby client at the TV, or using a NUC client at the TV?

SamES

Best option is to select an audio track that allows DirectPlay.  If that doesn't exist, then add your own track.  There was a post previously with an ffmpeg command to do that fairly easily

• 1 year later...
horstepipe

what is the status here meanwhile?

A user reported me that dts sound doesn't work on his LG tv (OLED48C17LB).

Currently transcoding and remuxing is disabled. I was quite sure that I read some months ago that dts meanwhile works directly on Emby for LG...?

1 hour ago, horstepipe said:

what is the status here meanwhile?

A user reported me that dts sound doesn't work on his LG tv (OLED48C17LB).

Currently transcoding and remuxing is disabled. I was quite sure that I read some months ago that dts meanwhile works directly on Emby for LG...?

LG TV's do not support DTS.

• Thanks 1