Help with Music Albums

Carneth
Go to solution Solved by aspdend,

Carneth

Hi all,

so, since I've upgraded from MB2 - 3 (Using MBC) .... I have the following problem with my music... 

Say I have an artist with two albums, e.g. 

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Whether I view 'music' or 'music albums'

I get 1 album listed, say, The Wall and all tracks appear in the one album.

However, I know for certain that the metadata is correct - and this is occuring for every single artist which has multiple albums..

Any ideas, I'm sure I'm just not doing something right with configuration

PBzeer

What's your folder structure for music?

I use:

Music/ (parent folder)

Artist/ (folder)

Album/ (folder)

Tracks (files)

Album/ (folder)

Tracks (files)

That's how I ripped them, so that's what I used. Unfortunately, you have to add art for the parent folder.(Artist).

Or, you can set your folders up so they just show individual albums rather than grouping them under the Artist Folder by using: The Wall - Pink Floyd, WIsh You Were Here - Pink Floyd as separate folders under music.

Music/ (parent folder)

The Wall - Pink Floyd/ (folder)

Tracks (files)

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd/ (folder)

Tracks (files)

Edited by PBzeer

Carneth

Heya,

Thanks for replying.

My music structure is literally :\Music\Artist\Song ... This used to work with MB2, however, it seems to be collapsing all songs into one album. The file name is like "[#][Album-Disc] Track name.alac"

I have literally thousands of songs all with the metatags properly organised & consistent..

I'm on my way to work but I just had an idea that I can't test until tonight - but, could it be that on the MBC configuration I set Collapse Movies - I'm wondering if it's collapsing music by album too?

Carneth

OK, 

so, I'm guessing.. If the collapse movies thing doesnt work.. then I'm going to have to follow the structure defined here: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/&do=findComment&comment=21480

of: 

:\Music\Artist\Album\Track

... Is there any recommendation for compilations? 

Currently i have them under:

:\Music\Compilations\Compilation Name\Track 

• Solution
aspdend

I have my compilations under music/various artists/album name/track and that works fine for me

• Like 1

Carneth

Hi there, again ..

I'm now just wondering, in case I have to re-structure all my music into that folder format.. Is anyone aware of a good tool that will do this as a batch job by using the meta data in my alacs to rebuild the folder structure .. 

• 3 weeks later...
ginjaninja

Hi there, again ..

I'm now just wondering, in case I have to re-structure all my music into that folder format.. Is anyone aware of a good tool that will do this as a batch job by using the meta data in my alacs to rebuild the folder structure .. 

@

I have found Picard to be good at ensuring 100% correct tags but Mp3tag (especially on large libraries) better at programatically/automatically (re)structuring a library on a filesystem.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3100-mp3tag-actions-for-cleaning-up-collection/

action 6 is designed to move tracks into a consitently defined structure and filename convention.

codenamegamma

i used it today for the first time and it was really nice and setup stuff in the right folders. theres an option to move the files, that might be something you want to do, i just dragged all my music in, then completed the albums then let it process into a new folder and that moved all the tracks from all over the place into the new folder structure.