MBT: Max Streaming Bitrate Setting

blade005

blade005

Luke,

MBS Version 3.0.5326.13255

MBT Version 3.0.5327.40705

What should the MAX STREAMING BITRATE setting be set at if you want all of your media to be DIRECT PLAYED and not transcoded?  I installed the MBT update on three (3) machines and two (2) defaulted to a setting of 3Mbps and one (1) defaulted to 8Mbps.  Most of my media is below the 8Mbps setting, but RECOREDED TV can vary from 12Mbps to 20Mbps. I'm sure people with BluRay media will have even higher bit rate requirements.

I believe this was included as a setting to assist with controlling remote play of MBT, but should it not be an option that you can turn off if you don't have that need?  Rather confusing to now have to configure MBT Internal Player to behave the way I assumed it was all along. Does this setting in MBT over ride the TRANSCODING settings in MBS?

Any guidance on how this should be configured for DIRECT PLAY or minimal transcoding would be appreciated.

Edited by blade005

Ghostm

Luke,

What should the MAX STREAMING BITRATE setting be set at if you want all of your media to be DIRECT PLAYED and not transcoded?  I installed the MBT update on three (3) machines and two (2) defaulted to a setting of 3Mbps and one (1) defaulted to 8Mbps.  Most of my media is below the 8Mbps setting, but RECOREDED TV can vary from 12Mbps to 20Mbps. I'm sure people with BluRay media will have even higher bit rate requirements.

I believe this was included as a setting to assist with controlling remote play of MBT, but should it not be an option that you can turn off if you don't have that need?  Rather confusing to now have to configure MBT Internal Player to behave the way I assumed it was all along. Does this setting in MBT over ride the TRANSCODING settings in MBS?

Any guidance on how this should be configured for DIRECT PLAY or minimal transcoding would be appreciated.

40mbps. I still think an off option or direct play option would help with the confusion but i have ran it through a gauntlet of high bitrate material and while the first edition was trascoding even recent blu rays such as need for speed which are very high bitrate the latest update has not transcoded anything i can find anyway. So 40 will direct play everything unless someone comes across something with a bitrate high enough to trigger it. I have not however.

• Like 1

Luke,

Where are you finding this setting? I just downloaded the same version of MBT, and I only fond a "Network" setting, which consists of only what I.P. address and port. No bitrate setting.

It's under System Settings --> Video Player.

I'm an idiot. In MBT, I can only click on "Network". Above that, there is a heading that says, "System Settings", but I can't click on it.

We're talking about the release version MBT Version 3.0.5327.40705 of MBT, right?

hifiaudio2

If you only see those settings you arent logged in under an account that has admin priveleges (in MBT,  not windows admin).  For instance, if I select "kids"  when MBT starts,  I cannot access all of the settings.  I have to select "parents"  as the profile.

Koleckai Silvestri

If you are configured for direct play, the setting has no effect. At least none that I can see in my usage. All my video direct plays without transcoding and without altering the setting.

Ghostm

Yea it must have been changed after the first update when it was introduced it was definately transcoding some content, then shortly after the next evening a new update came down that must have changed the behavior because i cant make my direct play content transcode anymore even with a low bitrate.

Koleckai Silvestri

It is the default.if your server is properly setup with network locations and MBT can read the files directly while residing in the same network. There is no setting to turn it on.