No DirectPlay of VP9 WEBM files

macnb

On my LG OLEDB55, I cannot play a video file with VP9 + OPUS codecs.

The Emby server starts to transcode to H.264 (and not watchable).

The file was download from YT and is in WEBM format:

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VP9
HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_VP9
Duration                                 : 5 min 13 s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 59.940 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : R: x=0.677980 y=0.321980, G: x=0.245000 y=0.703000, B: x=0.137980 y=0.052000, White point: x=0.312680 y=0.328980
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 1100
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 180

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : Opus
Codec ID                                 : A_OPUS
Duration                                 : 5 min 13 s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 32 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

When the LG Emby app eventually starts to play, obviously HDR is lost and see a washed out playback. 

the LG set is capable of playing this codec since playing via the LG's  YT app works perfectly.

So why can't the Emby app "pass" the playback directly to the LG player (and not transcode) ?

Or is the LG YT App decoding and transcoding on the TV ?

We probably haven't enabled this combination VP9+Opus in a webm container.  But, just because it works in YT, doesn't necessarily mean the default player can play it.  If you put the file on a USB and connect it direct to the TV and play using the internal media player, does it play?

1 hour ago, SamES said:

We probably haven't enabled this combination VP9+Opus in a webm container.  But, just because it works in YT, doesn't necessarily mean the default player can play it.  If you put the file on a USB and connect it direct to the TV and play using the internal media player, does it play?

Yes I put the file onto a USB and the internal media player plays it perfectly.

HDR indicator pops on the top right hand corner as usual for HDR content. 

Interestingly, if I "point" the same internal media player to Emby Server's DLNA content, and play the same file residing on the server, it does not play properly. It play first few seconds in non-HDR (i.e. washed out appearance), then stops and plays the next file.

Can you please attach the following:

• server log (with debugging turned on) for an attempted playback
  • The ffmpeg transcoding log

Some of the playback capabilities are dynamically reported by the TV (and aren't always correct).  I'll need thee logs to confirm exactly what is being detected and what is causing the issue.  Thanks

12 hours ago, SamES said:

Can you please attach the following:

• server log (with debugging turned on) for an attempted playback
  • The ffmpeg transcoding log

Some of the playback capabilities are dynamically reported by the TV (and aren't always correct).  I'll need thee logs to confirm exactly what is being detected and what is causing the issue.  Thanks

Please find attached logs. I hope they are the correct ones.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-04890a95-d9c7-4108-aeda-6b5f744eca62_1.txt

You will find the YT URL of the file I downloaded in the logs.
Many thanks for looking into this feature.

rbjtech

Interesting - I've played .webm 4K VP9/Opus files on my C8 without issues (have never tried HDR though) - so this is maybe related to what the 'B' model LG TV is reporting ?  

If you need logs from a C8 model @SamES then please let me know as I'm always happy to help in the development / testing of the LG client 😀

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Interesting - I've played .webm 4K VP9/Opus files on my C8 without issues (have never tried HDR though) - so this is maybe related to what the 'B' model LG TV is reporting ?  

If you need logs from a C8 model @SamES then please let me know as I'm always happy to help in the development / testing of the LG client 😀

or maybe it is HDR related.

My model is B8. Like I said, if I put that file onto a USB stick it, the LG's Photo/Video App player plays it fine (as does LG's YT App).

Here is the link to the video if can download it as-is (WEBM format), then you can try it yourself on your C8.

rbjtech

My apologies guys - I've just tried the above video and went back to my other VP9/Opus (non HDR) videos and none of them play without transcoding on the LG client. :(

It was the Nvidia Shield Pro where they play direct without issue - but not the above video - that does not direct play either.  I think this maybe something to do with the VP9 profile used as it's 4K 60fps.  I'll look at the logs shortly and raise in the appropriate Android forum, I don't want to derail this LG thread.

• Thanks 1

SamES
9 hours ago, rbjtech said:

My apologies guys - I've just tried the above video and went back to my other VP9/Opus (non HDR) videos and none of them play without transcoding on the LG client

Thanks for checking and confirming.  What tool/settings did you use to download that sample?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having this exact same problem on my LG B6, with this video and others, where I'm getting DirectPlayError. To me the common denominator seems to be the HDR format SMPTE ST 2086. Could this be the case? Other HDR videos play fine without having to transcode. Hopefully this clue can be of help.

Could also supply log files if needed.

Edited by Yakumo

9 hours ago, Yakumo said:

I'm having this exact same problem on my LG B6, with this video and others, where I'm getting DirectPlayError. To me the common denominator seems to be the HDR format SMPTE ST 2086. Could this be the case? Other HDR videos play fine without having to transcode. Hopefully this clue can be of help.

Could also supply log files if needed.

HI, yes please, thanks.

Can you try playing the file called a.mkv from a USB drive connected directly to the TV and using the TV's internal player?  Does it play correctly, or does it report an error?  This will help you determine if the format is supported by your TV model.

It doesn't play at all, the internal player reports "This file cannot be recognized". I don't even get audio on the internal player with the OP's video, although I'm guessing that could be due to my older model/webOS version. Still, other HDR .mkv videos work splendidly with the internal player (and Emby).

Trying to read up on HDR10 it seems 2086 is one of the newer standards (from 2018?) and maybe my 2016 LG model therefore doesn't fully support it? Googling I can only find definitive support for the LG 2019 C9/E9/W9/Z9/R9 models. Maybe I'm simplifying or missing something but that could be an explanation.

22 hours ago, Yakumo said:

It doesn't play at all, the internal player reports "This file cannot be recognized". I don't even get audio on the internal player with the OP's video, although I'm guessing that could be due to my older model/webOS version. Still, other HDR .mkv videos work splendidly with the internal player (and Emby).

Trying to read up on HDR10 it seems 2086 is one of the newer standards (from 2018?) and maybe my 2016 LG model therefore doesn't fully support it? Googling I can only find definitive support for the LG 2019 C9/E9/W9/Z9/R9 models. Maybe I'm simplifying or missing something but that could be an explanation.

webOS version < 4.0 (which includes your 2016 model) don't support Opus audio, which is why the OP's video doesn't work.

@macnb, I think your issue should be fixed in the next release.  There was an issue with the VP8/VP9 definition for webm format which has been resolved.

On 25/01/2021 at 11:59, SamES said:

webOS version < 4.0 (which includes your 2016 model) don't support Opus audio, which is why the OP's video doesn't work.

@macnb, I think your issue should be fixed in the next release.  There was an issue with the VP8/VP9 definition for webm format which has been resolved.

My webos s/w version is 05.20.01.

Thx for confirming the issue & the fix. Is there a time scale for the next release ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, macnb said:

That will be the firmware version, you have to dig deeper into 'About this TV' to get the webOS version.

13 minutes ago, macnb said:

Is there a time scale for the next release ?

When it is released by LG.  Possibly a few weeks, but could be more or less.  🙃

On 26/01/2021 at 12:47, SamES said:

That will be the firmware version, you have to dig deeper into 'About this TV' to get the webOS version.

When it is released by LG.  Possibly a few weeks, but could be more or less.  🙃

Thx. Found the webOS version: 4.2.0-8301 (goldilocks-gomolsha)

OK. will lookout for the update in a few weeks 😉

• Like 1

• 10 months later...