DLNA Renderer not visible in Emby App

amatala
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Oh, okay... I think I might have tried to tell Emby that the renderer is a Marantz in the hope it would recognize it... Those were automatically generated by the server I guess:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir C:\Users\sas\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\dlna\user
 Volume in drive C is SYSTEM-1
 Volume Serial Number is 5052-1AF9

Directory of C:\Users\sas\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\dlna\user

24/12/2020  14:37    <DIR>          .
24/12/2020  14:37    <DIR>          ..
24/12/2020  14:37             3,984 Generic Device.xml
24/12/2020  14:36             3,904 Marantz.xml
               2 File(s)          7,888 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  691,406,401,536 bytes free

I'll delete them and restart.

However these files were only present on my test Emby installation... I have a second installation which doesn't have the files and still didn't see the AV8801... Haven't tried on latest version yet though ;)

OK, deleted the files and restarted Emby, but still no luck, it doesn't see the AV8801 and I am still getting the error:

Error Dlna: Error creating PlayTo device.

I am attaching the full log and also the transcode log it creates when playing a file from Emby to the AV8801 via the Hi-Fi Cast application to show that playback to the AV8801 is working fine when started from Hi-Fi Cast.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-5e8078a7-9e9d-4c3b-b5ab-9d43f2cbb61a_1.txt

Looks like your marantz is returning malformed xml with some of the dlna requests, so i guess we'll have to handle that. I just pushed a 1.0.50 update to the dlna plugin. Please try that once you have it and then attach the emby server log. thanks.

• Solution

It still has invalid characters in it's xml. have you customized the display name of your marantz? try going to the receiver and resetting that back to default.

The default name is "marantz AV8801", I had changed it to "AV8801" to avoid spaces in the name...

Now I have reset it back to default and will try again...

Image1.png

Yes, it's finally working now :) but the problem is that the space in the name is causing problems with other software, I think it was an Android remote control app which had issues, that's why I had to remove it in the first place... :P

Also the strange thing is that it's working fine for the AV7005 even with the custom name, but not for the AV8001...

Anyway, I can leave it like this for now, at least I know where it was coming from ;)

Thanks for the help! :)

embyserver.txt

Great, thanks. The important thing is we're now detecting supported formats, so you can play your dsf, right?

5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Great, thanks. The important thing is we're now detecting supported formats, so you can play your dsf, right?

The AV8801 does not support DSF over DLNA so transcoding will be required.... but unfortunately I see that Emby is transcoding to MP3@128K... which doesn't seem right...

When I play the same file from Asset uPnP server to the AV8801 it transcodes to 96k/24bit WAV which makes much more sense ;)

ffmpeg-transcode-86228c33-566d-4f5b-b3a1-dec8fb148790_1.txt

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Ok i'm going to leave it as mp3 for now but we can increase the bitrate.

For me it's not important, I don't use DSF much and if I do I can stream it to my Stack Audio Link II renderer which supports it natively.

As long as FLAC works fine with my Marantz AV processors, it's all good for me, thanks! ;)

Yea we can definitely do this at some point, but we'd have to vary the transcoding format based on the input format, which for Dlna we don't currently do. Thanks for the feedback.

Luke,the transcoding of DSF files has been discussed before. A Chrome client will cause transcoding DSF files as well. I thought it was left that transcoding DSF files to FLAC was to be considered as default when transcoding is required?

Why wouldn't DLNA get the same consideration? Transcoding from arguably the highest audio quality format to the worst doesn't seem appropriate.

I guess that the transcoding format can also get overridden by the control app because if I use Bubble uPnP to stream DSF from Emby to my AV8801, then it will stream as 192k/16bit WAV, based on the client profile used by the app...

Screenshot_20210225-003235_BubbleUPnP.thumb.jpg.1d7cdb0377c73ffdad276785d7b8a116.jpg