New Roku and my thoughts/opinion and 2 bugs?

GiGo

Got my Roku Express last night, the father in law dropped it off for meĀ šŸ˜Ā he was very keen to see what it was like as he wants to get either NowTV stick or Roku stick to put in his bedroom.

Got to be honest I am impressed. Love the size, the remote is great (except the silly tag at the bottom, that'll be coming off), the companion app is brilliant with remote and keyboard options on my phone (much like DriodMote on my Android Box).

But.....

What's going on with Emby, I assume it's way it has to be but, my god it looks so damn awful when compared to the Web Interface or Android Version.

It looks too large, ie too zoomed in, I've set the zoomed rate on Windows 10 to 125% instead of 100%!

The seek bar in playback is not great as you cannot see how how far you are skipping execpt by mins, not the biggest issue but a pain if you want to skip 1.30min to skip an intro. This seems to be similar to all the 'channels' on Roku so I am guessing this is the way Roku operates?

What would be great to see is Emby results appear in Voice Search results, for instance, I search for Catfish: The TV Show and it only comes up Amazon Prime and not Emby results, can our own emby databases be added to search function on Roku?

Ā 

I'm guessing theseĀ could be a bugs;

If I push OK on the remote to bring up the progress bar and go to the cog icon (settings/config) press OKĀ and not change an option then press the back button, the next time I press OK it brings up the settings/config screen.

Ā 

Something I also noticed selecting more in the new continued watching bar (server 4.6.0.10) whats with theĀ massive amount of space atĀ the bottom?

9vJ9xKYDtFBMSnVh73GEOSUbm4FaIsbrY_29PCIOhvgPCEp5aEOdKSHDzgFvE5ZmxdH9u0BuZftco_WwhXoyPBL55PQmtDss98O7APTteUYSvoeS3GjorPFV94GuG1rBp94F9ngT0eZjXgA61SrHgiGLr3P202kmFVC1Dt9_pHSH_ZoyRVVHDSBzWgn395scu7l-rHgOPzL1FEIfUgkSnEHAKS-5OPOMosnNDgXvrREvRGSzUSmyXRJJ630Mqke2f1j24GY7nCG6VsLhrnl0W0Y3nzPQX0EzaNXfMEuLHjdeiAE_GiNmVN-vo77LUquV8BaFGb_3OXLD5jf7xLw65TEJtomL4pNfqWECokFwt1wjzXbkR69A91sGUdh3ojgOU5ihIbaLekuBpgxwp_NG_-jIsT8fs-v-pq2Oi3-wZlJRfX7Jfx2p4LGhq43fjYwyZYU-CEzgQbVgKg4XClLmXhMxJrc5Va-rjVw37s8J28vK4VFmWdpFPxKcu7mtVbshed686u6y5A-QUOxyjQsIpbap0v5M7KxNeUn4UL2coTgFzOAUpmpoyBtzxpAeUTCoX5m9aNvJ1JTvhT4OTxfDy9lhBhTYfO7YMSaoa60orOa-7KaXqq9wV3A7wpFD0A0OQZ-gCGs9kdT8WMUotUAuyZ1nKHpsQ4fqXMt0qBj5oRj98ibXavF8sGW66RbtMg=w2017-h1073-no?authuser=0

The Roku express can only use a 720P UI. Only the 4K Roku units get to make use of the 1080P UI. This is why it looks zoomed in of sorts. We may allow options to change sizes of cards and things so you can scale these accordingly for your resolution. It has been suggested. It is possible in the future.

As for the skipping this is how Roku has set up their transport bar. If the media is hours long it will only display the hours and minutes. It will not display seconds. The seconds will only show on the transport bar when the item is under 10 minutes long. This is why it remains the way it is.

The OK keypress bug is because of recent Roku changes regarding the use of keypresses an application sends to itself. We will correct this in a future update.

The "more" issue you point out we have recently fixed in Beta. There will be an update to correct that bug upcoming. It will not be off center like that when using more.

Edited by speechles

6 minutes ago, speechles said:

The Roku express can only use a 720P UI. Only the 4K Roku units get to make use of the 1080P UI. This is why it looks zoomed in of sorts. We may allow options to change sizes of cards and things so you can scale these accordingly for your resolution. It has been suggested. It is possible in the future.

As for the skipping this is how Roku has set up their transport bar. If the media is hours long it will only display the hours and minutes. It will not display seconds. The seconds will only show on the transport bar when the item is under 10 minutes long. This is why it remains the way it is.

The OK keypress bug is because of recent Roku changes regarding the use of keypresses an application sends to itself. We will correct this in a future update.

The "more" issue you point out we have recently fixed in Beta. There will be an update to correct that bug upcoming. It will not be off center like that when using more.

I didn't realise it only used the 720p UI, I knew it only displayed up to 1080p on playback, which is rather strange in my opinion.Ā  Being able to resize cards would be great, just to make it look a bit less zoomed, I have enable round edges, but notice the Roku version doesn't have this, I assume once again this is a Roku thing?

I figured the 'transport bar' (I know now what it's called) was a Roku thing as it looked similar in the NowTV app.

I'm glad you are aware of the two 'bugs' I look forward to getting the updates, how do I get the beta, or is not availible to test on a normal Roku?

The Beta is available at this link: https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBeta

Anyone can participate and use the Beta. We only ask that if you choose to use the Beta you give us a heads up on any issues you find. Let us know about them so we can fix them. Beta does not mean buggy or broken. Beta means we can self publish the application. The store version must be approved and published by Roku. The store version can only be published by Roku and is up to their calendar when they choose to do so. The Beta we can publish at any time and the moment we do users can enjoy the same version we updated. This is why the Beta is where you should be.

You can have both the store version and beta share your Roku home screen. If ever we make a mistake in Beta and the app becomes unusable you can always use the store version. If the store version becomes unusable you can always use the Beta.

We will get updates out to Beta soon. Have fun and Happy Holidays. :)

Also.. try speaking into the remote while holding the microphone button. While video plays in Emby speak into the microphone "Fast Forward one minute and 30 seconds" and see what happens. The Roku will interpret your request into text. The Emby Roku app will then fast forward exactly one minute and 30 seconds. You can control the experience entirely by voice if you want.

https://support.roku.com/article/360009552694

We fully support Roku voice commands inside the Emby Roku app.

Edited by speechles

8 hours ago, GiGo said:

What would be great to see is Emby results appear in Voice Search results, for instance, I search for Catfish: The TV Show and it only comes up Amazon Prime and not Emby results, can our own emby databases be added to search function on Roku?

Unfortunately, this is not likely to be possible.Ā  All the other channels are searching a central database for everyone but that's not how Emby works - instead it is just your server and your content and Roku doesn't have the ability to search this like Google does.

Can you please post a screen shot of what you mean by "zoomed"?Ā  No matter the resolution of your UI, the app should look basically the same and very similar to the other TV based presentations.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Unfortunately, this is not likely to be possible.Ā  All the other channels are searching a central database for everyone but that's not how Emby works - instead it is just your server and your content and Roku doesn't have the ability to search this like Google does.

Thats a shame :(Ā 

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Can you please post a screen shot of what you mean by "zoomed"?Ā  No matter the resolution of your UI, the app should look basically the same and very similar to the other TV based presentations.

Thanks.

On another look at it, it's not zoomed in at all, it's the same as my web interface and android box. It just looks like it isĀ because of the thick white borders around each tileĀ when you select them, also the square boxes don't help as I have mine set to rounded corners, which is something thats not carriedĀ over to the Roku app.

Also how do I take a proper screenshot, I've enabled devloper mode but can't take a screenshot of Emby (or emby beta)?