All Channels in M3U list not showing in Emby

djtiger76

djtiger76

Hello,

I am using IPTVeditor.com to manipulate my playlist and epg information. I have 990 channels in my generated m3u and epg but only 793 are showing in Emby. The m3u has all of the channels because they are showing on other players. Also, there doesn't seem to be anything that connects the channels not showing. Anyone have any idea why all of the channels would not show?

2 hours ago, djtiger76 said:

Hello,

I am using IPTVeditor.com to manipulate my playlist and epg information. I have 990 channels in my generated m3u and epg but only 793 are showing in Emby. The m3u has all of the channels because they are showing on other players. Also, there doesn't seem to be anything that connects the channels not showing. Anyone have any idea why all of the channels would not show?

Hi, I would look for duplicate IDs as Emby will likely only display one of them if they are duped.  If you like you can PM me the m3u file and I'll take a look for you. If you know of any of the missing channels even better.  BTW, you can change any username or passwords in the file as I'm not going to be using it, just looking at it.

djtiger76

Thanks for your response. I changed the EPG ID of one of the missing channels and it shows in the guide. There are duplicate EPG ids however the channel IDs are different. For instance I have 5 instances of the same channel. All different resolutions and addresses. The EPG would be the same because its all the same channel. There aren't 5 different EPG ID's to choose from. Its all the same channel. Multiple instances of the same channel is a major benefit because if one is not working a user can go try a different one. Not showing all instances because the EPG is the same may not be the best way to go about this. Just my thoughts, no harm intended. Maybe an option to allow duplicate EPG's can be implemented where the user can decide if they want it or not.  

I understand the backup channel thing but usually it's a lot more work and grief than benefit.  I'd recommend removing all but the best of each channel to remove the dupes.  This simplifies the rest of the system so when browsing your don't have tons of dupes in the guide or when using the PROGRAM tag or even when searching in Emby.

canada99
On 12/29/2020 at 9:33 AM, djtiger76 said:

Thanks for your response. I changed the EPG ID of one of the missing channels and it shows in the guide. There are duplicate EPG ids however the channel IDs are different. For instance I have 5 instances of the same channel. All different resolutions and addresses. The EPG would be the same because its all the same channel. There aren't 5 different EPG ID's to choose from. Its all the same channel. Multiple instances of the same channel is a major benefit because if one is not working a user can go try a different one. Not showing all instances because the EPG is the same may not be the best way to go about this. Just my thoughts, no harm intended. Maybe an option to allow duplicate EPG's can be implemented where the user can decide if they want it or not.  

You can fix this by putting the duplicate channels stream links under one channel ID name starting with the best quality link, for example

#EXTINF:-1,  AMC 

http://iptvserver4k:80/54776/hrthrfdf/10243
http://iptvserverUHD:80/54776/hrthrfdf/10243
http://iptvserver2HD:80/54776/hrthrfdf/10243
http://iptvserver3SD:80/54776/hrthrfdf/10243
#EXTINF:-1, ANIMAL PLANET
#EXTINF:-1, BRAVO

If the first link will not play it will play the next one.

Edited by canada99

• 2 months later...
coltonyyz

But I have 2 different providers and would like to know which provider I'm watching/or have the ability to choose the other provider when needed.

coltonyyz

Because if I don't know which channel isn't working I can't contact my provider to tell them.

Another reason is because with one of my providers, ID Channel has 3 versions of the same channel. How would I know which one I'm watching?

Often providers do not provide the correct tvgid also.  They often duplicate an affiliate let's say of nbc buffalo as nbc east. Well, there are countless nbc channels that are considered "east".

coltonyyz

I should have at least 2457 (more like 2500+) channels in Emby, but only 1954 are showing.

So one would assume I have 500 duplicates?

How am I suppose to watch my back up if Emby is removing it as a duplicate? Am I suppose to change the channel name manually for 500+ channels and try to stay on top of that with providers changing their line up all the time?

Edited by coltonyyz

coltonyyz

Sorry, one more thing.  Then there is the guide on top of that.  It never seems to fill in correctly. Despite using the provider guide for each m3u.  🙁  So I think it would be easier to simply allow all channels to appear as supplied. Wouldn't that also clear up the issues with the guide?

Ideally you won't know what isn't working because it would fall back to using a different stream.  This is ideal for recordings and general use.
2500 channels is a monster amount of channels.  Most people never view more than 50 channels regardless of amount of channels.

I for example have thousands of channels available but choose to only load about 250 but I also change up my channels at different times of the years.  For example during football season  I'll have dedicated NFL channels.  During basketball or baseball season I'll have those channels available.  I simple have a "football.m3u", "baseball.m3u", etc to make these easy to load/remove as needed.

The reason you don't get the guide data loading or all the channels showing up is BAD DATA going in.  Either they have duplicate channels, wrong IDs or just don't have the proper guide data.  Not much Emby can do about that.

coltonyyz

I don't think I necessarily agree with you when you say it's bad data because the apps for both of my providers load the data just fine individually in their own apps. So this leads me to think that because Emby is removing duplicates, I wonder if it then can't match up the data with a proper channels? I don't know.

And 2500 channels is what I have for Canada USA and the UK. basically all the English channels because I don't speak any other language fluently enough to watch those other channels. One of my providers offers a ton more such as Africa Asia numerous European countries in addition to Canada USA and the UK. I've made them invisible so that the m3u does not download them, and I do that through m3u4u.

And while I do agree with you that 2500 channel seems like it's a lot I do once in a while scan through them to see what else is on because today almost every channel repeats everything 400 times.

Thankfully the list do not take a long time to load which I'm very happy about so I do not have any complaints in that regards. I just wish that I could view all the channels that I'm paying for and if Emby is going to remove duplicates then I may just have to stop paying for Emby premiere and switch to something else. I don't want to though cuz I really do like Emby.

May I ask, why would it be such a problem to have a toggle in the settings area under live TV that allows the user to either activate or remove/hide I guess the duplicate channels? What would be the harm in this for the average user I am asking? No shade with the question, I'm asking in a serious manner out of curiosity.

Yes Emby skips or uses only the LAST channel if it has the same ID as another channel (bad data).  I guess you could technically say "duplicate data" from the standpoint of having multiple channels with the same ID but Emby will only load 1 which will be the last instance of the ID from the file.

Why would you need to load 3 CNNs, 4 Fox News just because "your paying for it"?  That will just bloat your guide even more and make the viewing experience worse and more confusing.

coltonyyz

Well one important reason that I've already mentioned is the fact that if one of my providers go down I'm then able to select the other channel.

I understand when you say that I can add it as a secondary feed but is there any type of indication in Emby that it has switched over to the secondary feed or will the channel just start playing and I won't know which feed I'm viewing? And by feed I mean provider really.

That was already covered earlier.

If you actually want duplicate CNN and Fox News, CBS, etc just change the IDs in the M3U file to make them unique.
Problem solved.

coltonyyz

Yeah I got that. 500 problems solved. Check! And then it's up to me to keep updating that list over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Edited by coltonyyz

If you want an unmanageable list with Duplicate channels then Emby is going to make you work at it as you're doing something Emby tries to clean up.

The new version of Live TV that will be released soon will handle this differently.  You'll be able to combine everything and set a priority.  So you could have CNN from a cable tuner like a Prime with CNN from 2 different m3u providers listed in the EPG as one channel with automatic fallback.

This will also be great for people using different tuners who also get duplicate channels.  For example I could have ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, etc from my HDHR Quatro, Prime, VBox, CDVR, and of course m3u.  This new version will allow "stacking" those channels so I could use OTA devices first, then the Prime via cable, followed by CDVR, then lastly by m3u streamed via the Internet.

BillOatman

I believe channel groups will be available in the next Emby release as well for those who prefer that way.
Group per provider, primary group and backup group, all of the above.  Lots of options at that point.

• Like 1

OGkhirtle
1 hour ago, BillOatman said:

I believe channel groups will be available in the next Emby release as well for those who prefer that way.
Group per provider, primary group and backup group, all of the above.  Lots of options at that point.

just updated to 4.6.0.33 beta and was looking to see where/how the setting is for the groups already setup by the provider and couldnt find anything. I just saw you could add channels to collections to make your own groups.

On 3/19/2021 at 1:48 PM, OGkhirtle said:

just updated to 4.6.0.33 beta and was looking to see where/how the setting is for the groups already setup by the provider and couldnt find anything. I just saw you could add channels to collections to make your own groups.

Hi, you'd use the metadata editor for a channel to edit the list of tags per channel. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
TheBeardedOne

Hi,

I would also like to be able to select which stream is watched.

I have multiple options for most channels and being able to select which one to stream is important. For instance I was watching a stream over the weekend that had no sound. If each of the URLs were stacked under a single tvg-id then i would have no control over which stream was playing and be stuck without sound.

As it is now I dont have the option to choose another stream so I have to load the M3U file in another application. Editing the M3U to give each of the streams a unique tvg-id would break the EPG for those streams so thats not really an option. Also, it would take a long time and need to be done whenever the M3U file is updated by the provider.

Is it possible to make the removal of duplicates an option on import? Alternatively, for each stream with duplicate tvg-ids, add a drop down for each stream allowing you to select which stream, similar to when you have 2 versions of the same movie? Althought i expect this would take more work to put together.

The Live TV function in Emby has come a long way and is the main reason for contributing. Hopefully we can find a way to allow us to control which streams are selected when watching.

Currently running 4.6.0.36 beta.

I really appreciate all the hard work you guys put in to make this such a great product.

TBO

TheBeardedOne
On 22/03/2021 at 13:49, cayars said:

@OGkhirtle Did you get a chance to try this yet?

@cayars I had a look at the metadata editor for LiveTV but as far as i can see you only have the option to add channels to other groups, or Tags.

That doesn't really help with the issue of the removed streams.

Unless i missed something.

TBO

Edited by TheBeardedOne

Not an easy way but you can add a TAGs to a station/channel then use Parental Restrictions to filter out those tags, essentially removing channels you don't want.