Client getting "Error 52"

chowbok

chowbok

Hi,

I'm running my server on port 443, and I have a signed cert. My parents connect to it with Roku, and it was working as of a few days ago, but now they're getting "Error 52: empty reply from server".  When they connect to it with a web browser, it works fine.

How can I diagnose this? Any thoughts on what it might be?

chowbok

Actually, that looks like the time I had them test with the browser. I don't think I'm getting anything in the logs when they try to connect with the Roku.

How are they trying to connect? Are they using Emby Connect or manually entering your server address into the app?

have you double checked with them that they're entering the right address? Unless you can either get over there or replicate their scenario from home i think this is going to be difficult to troubleshoot.

chowbok

Yes, I checked and double-checked. He typed in the address correctly on the browser, so he's got the right one.

Afraid I don't have a Roku, and they're across the country from me, so doesn't look like I can do either. I assume there's no "send logs" option for the Roku like there is for the Fire Stick?

There is, although I'm not sure they're getting far enough to be able to use that. @speechles will know.

A couple of things you can try would be to:

• Use the emby connect feature (assuming the remote address displayed on your server dashboard is correct). Preferably try this after clearing app data. This test will help rule out any user error of entering the address.
  • Setup plain http and have them try that. This will help rule out any SSL certificate related problems.
  • Clear app data and start again. Just to help rule out anything flukey.

@Luke This can happen if curl (aka the Roku) is asked to do plain HTTP on a server that does HTTPS. It can also happen if the firewall or something on the network is actively blocking the connection. The error 52 means there was no data received on the socket, but it is not a timeout, timeout is error 28. It simply received an EOF alone with no data in between.

To clear app data look for the button labeled "Reset Settings" on the Roku app (you will see it when you log in). Click this once. Wait 3 seconds and press HOME on your Roku remote. After this enter the Emby Roku app and it will start as if this were the first time it has run. This will rewrite the entire registry for the Emby Roku app. You will need to redo any settings in the app again. The registry can only be a certain size and we have no way to control overflow. If the registry is ever a problem using "Reset Settings" will solve it.

If you are already inside the Emby Roku app on the home screen and you want to "Reset Settings" you can navigate to the cog at the top of the screen and press it (or press * key once). At the bottom of the first screen of settings you will find "Reset Settings".

Edited by speechles

chowbok

Hmm... is there another way to do this? He can't log in because of the main issue, and on the screens he can get to there's no cog icon or a "Reset Settings" button. Pressing the asterisk button does nothing.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app would reset the settings too.

This really sounds like some sort of security software blocking something...

Gilgamesh_48
24 minutes ago, ebr said:

24 minutes ago, Luke said:

You can also uninstall then reinstall the app to clear data.

On the Roku you must reboot the Roku after the uninstall and before the reinstall or some/most of the data does not get reset. That is unless Roku changed something in the way apps get reserved memory and I doubt Roku has changed anything about that.

chowbok
30 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hard to see what, though, since he's able to access the server fine from a web browser.

33 minutes ago, chowbok said:

Hard to see what, though, since he's able to access the server fine from a web browser.

That is a completely different device.  We've had several instances where routers or other software were blocking specific devices/destinations.  We don't know yet that this is the problem but it would be good to investigate if there is anything like this in play.