NextPVR & LiveTV

muehlberger

Oh bummer, so it requires creating an M3U file from scratch now?

Not the end of the world but is a lot more work.

@emveepee Do you know if "&client=somevalue" is still needed in the URL if using more than stream with version 5?

SHSPVR
34 minutes ago, cayars said:

Oh bummer, so it requires creating an M3U file from scratch now?

Not the end of the world but is a lot more work.

@emveepee Do you know if "&client=somevalue" is still needed in the URL if using more than stream with version 5?

Yup it a bit work.

Yes it still need or multiple steam tuner will not work right with out it 

• Like 1

SHSPVR
27 minutes ago, cayars said:

I've done some updating to try and explain this better and included examples for creating the m3u file.

Would you guys be so kind to take a look and give me any feedback on it?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002060568-nextpvr-tuner

Thanks

It can be more like this
#EXTINF:0, 3.1 KYW-TV

I have no idea what "-1 tvg-chno" dose do you ?.
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="3.1",KYW-TV

As for EPG Source you don't need one just set all channel to None and best part that this also work the same way on Linux to.
This can also be apply to using analog capture device but you need manuel build you own channel list and set up the ir blaster.

Edited by SHSPVR

23 hours ago, SHSPVR said:

It can be more like this
#EXTINF:0, 3.1 KYW-TV

I have no idea what "-1 tvg-chno" dose do you ?.:-1 tvg-chno="3.1",KYW-TV

As for EPG Source you don't need one just set all channel to None and best part that this also work the same way on Linux to.
This can also be apply to using analog capture device but you need manuel build you own channel list and set up the ir blaster.

This same technique can be used for Vbox and HDHomeRun tuners as well since they are just links.  Not really a reason to do that unless you want more control or merging multiple sources.

-1 is for duration of the stream.  Since it's unknown it's set to -1 which is the convention.
tvg-chno is the tv guide channel number you want Emby to match to.

Both of these could be left out if you wanted but I think it's better to have them.

But other than that did it look ok to you? Does it have in your opinion all the basic info to help someone get this setup as a tuner?  Guide data isn't included as that's the same as other tuners and covered in other KB articles.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

SHSPVR
18 hours ago, cayars said:

This same technique can be used for Vbox and HDHomeRun tuners as well since they are just links.  Not really a reason to do that unless you want more control or merging multiple sources.

-1 is for duration of the stream.  Since it's unknown it's set to -1 which is the convention.
tvg-chno is the tv guide channel number you went Emby to match to.

Both of these could be left out if you wanted but I think it's better to have them.

But other than that did it look ok to you? Does it have in your opinion all the basic info to help someone get this setup as a tuner?  Guide data isn't included as that's the same as other tuners and covered in other KB articles.

I see yes look ok cayars

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
aaronouthier

Hmm, bummer that the NextPVR plugin had to be pulled. Didn't realize that it was for NextPVR v4 only.

Anywho, I have a small Dilemma: I want to run NextPVR on one Raspberry Pi (a 3B+), and Emby server on a different Pi (4B/4GB). My plan was to use NextPVR for the TV streams, as the Pi it is running on has a MPEG2 hardware decoder and then use Emby to playback my media. I have both a HDHomerun Prime and a Haupauge <something-or-another> that is basically the same as a Prime inside, but with 1 tuner disabled. This, along with 2 cable cards, gives me 5 working tuners. I have a NAS hard drive with NFS sharing mounted onto both Pis. Am I looking at a major headache? I have 3 TVs and 3 users. I'm going to try using the M3U trick. Wondering if there is perhaps a better way?

aaronouthier

So, for Live TV, the stream would need to go from TV Tuner->NextPVR->Emby Server->User (emby app). Anyone know of a good reason why this wouldn't work? I am an Emby Premiere subscriber.

To answer your question about the headache my answer would be yes. :)
These are very under powered devices to be using as media servers.

I'd look at using a single PC instead but that's just me.

emveepee

Note I am hoping to reinstate the addon just waiting to get some questions answered to see if Emby can support NextPVR's higher security model.

For this I'd try Kodi direct to NextPVR on your RPi for Live TV.    I didn't know the RPi4 supported h/w mpeg2 now.   However why do you need NextPVR?

m3u mode doubles the workload too since both systems are recording and you have the extra outbound and inbound streams to consider.

Small PC's aren't bad for NextPVR I have CoreElec N2 running netcore native (no Docker) I wouldn't want to have 5 streams going to NFS though.  

Martin

Edited by emveepee

aaronouthier

Pi 4 Does not have MPEG2 decoding, otherwise, I would've just used Emby directly, and cut out the second Pi and NextPVR. Also, 5 streams would not be going to the NAS, only recordings. Or is Live TV saved to the NAS?

AFAIK, MP4 streams are much smaller and more efficient than MPEG2 ones, so not double the bandwidth. The 2 Pis, the HdHomerun and the NAS are all on one gigabit switch. The Hauppauge is connected via USB, not Ethernet. It doesn't have an ethernet port. I have it connected direct to the Pi 3B+.

The idea is to have the 3B+ do the transcoding to MP4 on all streams and send that back to the Pi4. That could still be quite a bit of number crunching - perhaps too much for 2 Pis to handle. However, I don't have an extra PC handy to handle all of that.The one I have uses too much power, and I use it for other stuff. I keep it shut off most of the time.

Edited by aaronouthier
Fix Typo

aaronouthier

I don't know how feasible it is either. If it could be done, I'd have the NextPVR box save recordings direct to the NAS where Emby would pick up those recordings. Honestly though, the more I think about it through, the more issues come to mind. I don't think either Emby or NextPVR are designed to work this way.

Edited by aaronouthier

emveepee

NextPVR Live TV is buffered to disk before streaming, timeshifted or not.  If all you want is to include NextPVR just for transcoding bad idea.  Besides for Live TV you want pass through whenever possible.  Also Isn't most HD h264 on cablecard now, we don't have it in Canada

I also think the USB on the RPi3 and ethernet use shared throughput

Martin

Edited by emveepee

aaronouthier

You're probably correct about the shared throughput. Ethernet is NOT gigabit either. The more I think about everything, the more I realize I need a new plan. Time to build a PC...

• Like 1

aaronouthier

I occurred to me: I have an iMac I was going to try to sell. It's an old 2009 model, and nobody seems to want it. I just slapped Ubuntu Server on it, and now, bada-bing-bada-boom. Emby Media server is up and running! Now I just have to wait until Frontier is doing FiOS TV Service installs again...

I wanted to have everything ready to go, so that I could hit the ground running with it as soon as my ISP is ready. COVID-19 caused them to halt all new installs, since TV installs require a technician to come inside the customer's home.

• Like 1