Two clients with the Same DeviceId

yaksplat

yaksplat

I'm creating an array of raspberry Pi's that are running theater.  The two i've started with are both on brand new pi 4's with 2GB ram.  The installs both work well, but the problem is that they both have the same Device ID.  If they're both playing a song, the emby dashboard shows the same device, but flashing between the two songs.  The activity log is showing both pi's playing songs.

a call to /emby/sessions only returns one session, not both

Is there a way to manually configure the Device ID in a config somewhere on the PI?  It seems like, by default, they both have the device id raspberrypi.

yaksplat

I installed them completely separately from the posted pi image.

Is that the issue then?  Should i start with a raw OS and then install the packages?

2 minutes ago, yaksplat said:

I installed them completely separately from the posted pi image.

Is that the issue then?  Should i start with a raw OS and then install the packages?

We'll take a look at it. Thanks.

yaksplat

I figured it out.  When setting up the Raspberry Pi for the first time, you have to not log into the emby server until you change the host name.  Once you change the name of the Pi, that carries through as the device ID to the server.  By default, with the posted image, Emby Theater pops up.  As long as you close it, and don't sign in, the device ID is not set. The you can change the host name of the PI in raspi-config.

Easy solution, but not obvious.

mellow129

I can confirm this behavior is the same if a user has two open streams on the same browser. I learned this while trying to setup a grafana dashboard to track active streams. The API reports one stream for the user, but on refresh it will "jitter" reporting between the two videos being streamed. I assume this is because the server does not have the ability to report multiple concurrent streams from the same device ID.