Emby on QuTShero

Jaysonmediaserver

Jaysonmediaserver

Hi

i'm getting my new Nas TS-h 886 next week and i intend to install Emby on QuTShero. Is this supported or do i have to use the QTS Firmware?

Thnx for advice!

Jayson

Hi, I've never heard of this before so at this time it's not officially supported. It may work, but it also may not.

• 9 months later...

it should work, im using emby server 4.6.4.0 on our QNAP TVS-H1288X which is running QUTS hero.

make sure to check app center settings, and check the check box for allowing installations of applications without a valid digital signature.

you should be good to go.

Hi, as the title says, I am unable to install the package on my QNAP NAS.  I tried both the stable AND beta version of Emby.  I'm not running QTS but QuTS Hero (which came standard with this NAS) but other packages run fine (Plex, for example).  I might try installing it via docker but that will imply messing with the settings for transcoding and it can take a while to get working.  Also tried installing using qpkg_cli but no success.

NAS: TVS-872XT
Firmware Version: QuTS Hero h4.5.4.1771 (latest stable version)
Tried both emby-server-qnap_4.6.4.0_x86_64.qpkg and emby-server-qnap_4.7.0.13_x86_64.qpkg

Yes, I have checked the box to allow installing qpkgs without a valid signature. 

If I can avoid using the docker version, that'd be great. 

Thanks in advance.

Hi, made a new topic and did not realize there was this one.  I have a TVS-872XT and I am unable to install the package, and yes, I have checked the box.  What version of QuTS Hero are you running?

Feel free to close this topic, however, I suspect the issue is not QuTS hero as in that same topic someone WAS able to install Emby while I was not.  Also, QuTS hero has been out for a while and comes preinstalled as the standard firmware with many of QNAP NAS.  It is kinda disappointing that it is not officially supported.

I'm guessing the answer is "it's not officially supported" even if it has been out for around a year.  I think a disclaimer should be added if there are no plans to support it as the Emby website lead me to believe that QNAP NAS were supported.

After a few hours, I made it work with GPU transcoding through docker but at this point there are better options  (Plex and Jellyfin both work fine) if you are using QNAP an plan to use ZFS (which, again, QuTS hero comes installed by default now, you can choose to switch to QTS but you give up ZFS if you do).

17 hours ago, Ikario said:

Hi, made a new topic and did not realize there was this one.  I have a TVS-872XT and I am unable to install the package, and yes, I have checked the box.  What version of QuTS Hero are you running?

What exactly is the problem? What happens when you try to install it?

"Unable to install the package", unfortunately that's all the info QuTS/QTS gives you, even in the logs.  Installing it via the CLI using qpkg_cli wouldn't work (no error message at all in that case).  So far it's the only package I've had issues with.  Yes, the box to allow unsigned packages is checked.

Model TVS-872XT
QuTS Hero h4.5.4.1771

As a partially related sidenote:
GPU/VA API Transcoding using the docker version is messy but it works.  Also, for some reason the official docker image for emby wouldn't start at all, but that probably had something to do with the setup I had to do to pass the GPU to the container.  I'm not really sure, it would restart constantly.  At that point I was so fed up after struggling with both the official package and image, considering jumping ship to Plex, that I decided to just give it a last shot using the linuxserver/emby image and it worked perfectly fine, so I'd suggest you use that if you plan to use VA API or GPU Transcoding. I wanted to leave it stated as someone might be having similar issues, so if they stumble upon this topic, they can DM me and I'll share my docker setup for QuTS.  I'm pretty sure it works with QTS too as it shares the same paths.

qnaperror2.png

qnaperror1.png

Edited by Ikario

encountered this issue but with QTS qnap OS, but the internet connection we have at the time was a vsat, downloaded the package using another ISP, installation went smoothly.

also it would help to run check volume and reboot the qnap before trying to install emby server again.

Rebooted the NAS several times, volume is fine, I have a stable internet connection, downloaded it more than once, still not working.  I might try downloading it using another ISP, however I really don't think that's the issue.  I'm done messing with it as I have a working (but hacky) solution right now.  Even if they did make it so that it installs, it's clear QNAP NAS don't get that much attention, and I'd rather debug my emby via docker install or my plex install, which plenty of people are using rather than wait ages for a solution whenever a bug in the native QNAP installation appears.  

Why do you think QNAP NAS do not get much attention? They get plenty of attention, however the Qutshero wrinkle is not something commonly seen so we just haven't' looked at it yet.

I wouldn't call something that comes installed as the default OS for their mid to high end NAS for around a year and set to become the standard for most if not all of their NAS as ZFS becomes more common,  a "wrinkle".  December 26 you mentioned it is not officially supported.  As of today, quite a few months later, it does not work.  I even tried with a second NAS just to check if it was just me.  

We do not agree on what constitutes "plenty of attention".

Quick update because I was bored at work today:

I tried a different method for installing it via CLI and this time it mostly worked.  Instead of using qpkg_cli I just used sh package.qpkg and the app got installed.  Not everything is working perfectly though, there's one minor issue: app cannot be uninstalled via the AppCenter GUI.  The button to open or uninstall is not there, some screenshots to show what I mean.  You can uninstall it via SSH using Console Management and it uninstalls without issues (it even sends a notification to the GUI telling Emby Server has been uninstalled).  

As an added benefit to this, GPU (both discrete and integrated) transcoding works perfectly out of the box, considering that's one of the hardest things to debug/setup in these devices, that's a big plus.  I don't really want to mess with my docker Emby library that is already working so I'll probably continue using that other than the native install, but maybe this will help debug why it is not working from neither the App Center nor the qpkg_cli.   Also, would be interesting to check performance differences in transcoding using the docker version vs native.

image.thumb.png.02ad3385b2e98b31949a01b4584696d5.png

image.png.a7dd10d742b6a1f34e2a220ddba3eaa8.png

• 1 year later...
jprobins007

My new QNAP NAS (TVS-h674)came with QutTSHero like most higher end Qnap boxes do now. And I came upon this thread. So, has anything changed in the 2.5 years sine. Is Emby on QuTSHero now supported?  Is there now any more knowledge/experience as to whether running Emby on QuTSHero works, doesn't work, causes issues, etc.?

On 3/31/2023 at 10:14 PM, jprobins007 said:

My new QNAP NAS (TVS-h674)came with QutTSHero like most higher end Qnap boxes do now. And I came upon this thread. So, has anything changed in the 2.5 years sine. Is Emby on QuTSHero now supported?  Is there now any more knowledge/experience as to whether running Emby on QuTSHero works, doesn't work, causes issues, etc.?

Re: 

jprobins007

Yes, I started a new thread since this post tacked onto the end of the old thread seemed to be getting no hits.