Subtitles don't work most of the time

jhs39
Go to solution Solved by hoxtonia,

jhs39

I'm having a problem where more often than not subtitles (embedded in the video file or as an external file) will not display on any of the Roku Media Browser channels (Media Centre, Official, Beta) even though they show up as a choice in the menu and the subtitles play fine on my computer with VLC.  Is there something I can do that will enhance the chances of subtitles displaying in Roku?  The subs have the exact same name as the video file.  If it's an external sub I put the language identifier at the end.  I also make sure the subs are in unicode instead of some weird font--but nothing seems to make any difference.      

• Solution
hoxtonia

Press the star button and then choose display closed captions - if you have more than 1 it will list them and you can select which one

• Like 1

jhs39

Is there a reason that would work better than selecting subtitles through the channel menu?  Doesn't Roku use the same codecs either way or does selecting subs as closed captions do something different?

jhs39

Wow, that worked.  I tried two movies where the subtitles didn't work if I chose them in the Roku Media Centre or Media Browser menu and the subtitles worked for both movies when I clicked * imstead.  Thanks very much for the tip.

• Like 1